What's new

MK dying threads = F A I L

AK Toxic

Graphic Designer
I don't see how anyone can say the MK scene is dying when the last tournament, Devastation, had over 180 entrants. Which was more and slightly less then the other big tournaments there. People must either be under rocks... or in denial.
definitely... and the amount of viewers on stream was insane...
Plus our BnB tourny had 180 viewers last night ^^

Look at it this way: MK9 has had the 3rd highest turnout of any game ever at Evo, and from what I hear about Season's Beatings it will have drawn over 100 players at 4 other majors (not even counting PDP). CEO, East Coast Throwdown, Devastation, and apparently SB are all in triple digits.

The last time I can think of a non-Capcom game having a run that good was GGXX Accent Core in 2008, which drew similar to slightly smaller numbers at a time when all the relevant Capcom fighters were 7+ years old. The current scene is a double-edged sword for MK I think - more people overall, but also stronger competition from other games and more heavily Capcom-dominated. I don't think the current FG craze is carrying us, all in all.

I had said before that we need to deliver at these majors late in the year to prove we're alive and well, and so far we've done just that. Now we just have to keep it up for SCR & NEC...I'm a bit pessimistic about Canada Cup since that area has a pretty weak FG community period, but hopefully some online warriors will surprise.

AK Toxic

Graphic Designer
Look at it this way: MK9 has had the 3rd highest turnout of any game ever at Evo, and from what I hear about Season's Beatings it will have drawn over 100 players at 4 other majors (not even counting PDP). CEO, East Coast Throwdown, Devastation, and apparently SB are all in triple digits.

The last time I can think of a non-Capcom game having a run that good was GGXX Accent Core in 2008, which drew similar to slightly smaller numbers at a time when all the relevant Capcom fighters were 7+ years old. The current scene is a double-edged sword for MK I think - more people overall, but also stronger competition from other games and more heavily Capcom-dominated. I don't think the current FG craze is carrying us, all in all.

I had said before that we need to deliver at these majors late in the year to prove we're alive and well, and so far we've done just that. Now we just have to keep it up for SCR & NEC...I'm a bit pessimistic about Canada Cup since that area has a pretty weak FG community period, but hopefully some online warriors will surprise.
I'm also wondering how the Canada Cup will turn out, we'll see :O

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
MK dead ? rofl

MK has a long way to go in Greece too. We love this game too much to let it rot.

Altaire

Noob
mk is dying online no doubt.
I play primarily online, and I could not be bothered to give even half a fuck about this.

As long as I can still get some online games going with players I KNOW to be good, under a decent connection, I couldn't care less. To me, this just means fewer scrubby randoms to put up with.

Mr. Rager

Mr. IhaveacrushonBi-Han
I play primarily online, and I could not be bothered to give even half a fuck about this.

As long as I can still get some online games going with players I KNOW to be good, under a decent connection, I couldn't care less. To me, this just means fewer scrubby randoms to put up with.
good point. even if it dies I'm still playing it. :p
You'll see who the real MK fans are

Altaire

Noob
Also, I'll be attending Canada Cup. If it doesn't get a big turnout for MK, honestly, it doesn't matter. Canada Cup was never big because of its local tourney scene, but rather, for the pro players who come up for SF. I'm still hoping to run into Tokido if he still plays MK, though.

Regardless, I fully expect to place top 8, and I'm going to try my damnedest to place top 1. I think I have a decent shot at winning the tournament, so long as I can fight through the tourney nerves. That's my only real concern right now.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
You can find a small gathering of MK players anywhere in the world, this is clearly evident now. Now, does that mean that there's a tournament scene everywhere, of course not, you may have to travel a bit for that. But, this game sold like hot cakes, you just need to branch out and get these online players to agree to locals once a week; once you do that...they're not going back to online.

Voila. Now everyone go out and do it.

Mr. Rager

Mr. IhaveacrushonBi-Han
Also, I'll be attending Canada Cup. If it doesn't get a big turnout for MK, honestly, it doesn't matter. Canada Cup was never big because of its local tourney scene, but rather, for the pro players who come up for SF. I'm still hoping to run into Tokido if he still plays MK, though.

Regardless, I fully expect to place top 8, and I'm going to try my damnedest to place top 1. I think I have a decent shot at winning the tournament, so long as I can fight through the tourney nerves. That's my only real concern right now.
well have to play some time bro ill help you get ready lol

AK Toxic

Graphic Designer
let's not turn this into offline v online <(.__. <) .... (> .__.)> but just focus on how the MK community is strong, and will continue to thrive in upcoming tournaments and majors.

Z-911-Z

Bone and Metal
I really wish I could go out and attend tournies or just go out to them and play casuals with a bunch of guys there, but income has been crappy and the lacking of a car doesn't help me attend NEC. :\

Online is always fun though, despite the dumb KotH lag but I've been over it for months. It probably helps that I've played SNK games online, but bah.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I would absolutely <3 to have some pros on my list of PS clansmen to battle online.
The one thing that pisses me off the most is the few people I know locally who play are all 360 players, and I hate losing to random lagging assjacks.
But you guys, the TYM cast, all of whom it'd pump me up to finally get to duel and gauge how good I've gotten?
Shit, it'd give me a reason to stop raping the arcade ladder and get some real schooling :D.

Yes, the Online numbers aren't nearly as high as before, but as has been said, that just mean the wishy-washies have been washed out and left only the truly devoted (or the previously mentioned lagassjacks who live for stats -_-) to battle.
Doesn't mean there aren't still legit millions of people across the land sitting at home running the bloody gamut :D.

AUGUSTUS - me and you still have to throw down someday, amigo.
Quan Chi is one of my main focuses to fight, and I do believe you rep him quite stiffly.