What's new

Match-up Discussion Mileena Matchup Discussion Thread

Mileena can actually d3/d4 underneath upball.
Generally you won't be blocking this a lot, as it'll either be baited by backstepping and using roll as he comes down... or it's hitting you.

Damn, I figured by now this wouldn't be the case, but there's still too many characters I can't deal with yet. Raidens, Noobs, Smokes, a good Jax, and not to mention everyone with more than 1000 wins online has a pocket kung lao. Even below average Kung laos are guaranteed losses for me or at least give me problems. It's getting stupid really.

Quantus

Rain for MK12 Kombat Pack 3
So I came here after I read a bit of the tier list thread.

I'm not a Mileena player, I main Rain. In the tier discussion people are saying that Mileena has NO bad match-ups? This can't be true, right?

Hell, maybe it's because I've never fought a decent Mileena, but with Rain I have no problem destroying Mileenas...

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
IMHO it's just silly to say she has no bad match ups when obviously Reo posted a thread explaining her bad matches.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
Slightly not in her favor. 5.5 - 4.5 in Noob's favor IMHO.
Noob forces Mileena to do unsafe things, but once she's in it's easier for her.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
ive been having trouble with noob lately,one my team mates picked him up and he knows mileena very well,not just mine by the way,mileena in general

to be honest im not 100% on how to play this match,maybe someone could break down mileena plan of action for this??

i know telekick is limited and near useless on wakeup because of upknee and if u dont time it just right upknee will hit mileena out of roll,wtf?
iasai lockdown obviously not a option because of noobs tele,and even in a trade noob wins by a few %

Really? I would think it's 5-5 at worst. If Noob tries to run, let him. Let him build some space, telekick the first shadow and you're in. At least that's been my experience.

I would imagine with better competition that though that it would turn into a standoff match. Mileena can't throw sias because of the slam and Noob can't throw shadows because of the telekick. It's a matter of who blinks first. Mileena only has to be risky if she's impatient.

1man3letters

hmm ok???

so if anyone could give there opinions on the match strats(outside of tele the running man)rather than a one line statment on who wins be helpful

thanks

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
The only noob exp I have is against Hitoshura and he's good so I'll give some insight.

You really REALLY need to make it your game, not Noobs. You need to zone and play as lame as humanly possible, Ias as much as you can, and just get a read on what the noob player likes to do.

See what he does the most, and when you're in his face, you need to stay there, worst case scenario is he gets away from you and you start back over from full screen which isn't that big of an issue for Mileena.

Just don't telekick like an idiot and the match will go by really easily

1man3letters

The only noob exp I have is against Hitoshura and he's good so I'll give some insight.

You really REALLY need to make it your game, not Noobs. You need to zone and play as lame as humanly possible, Ias as much as you can, and just get a read on what the noob player likes to do.

See what he does the most, and when you're in his face, you need to stay there, worst case scenario is he gets away from you and you start back over from full screen which isn't that big of an issue for Mileena.

Just don't telekick like an idiot and the match will go by really easily
ye hitos noob is pretty tight and fun to watch

wont tele catch mileena out of iasai of it will catch noob on way down?

1man3letters

So... Kenshi.... can't get in against him. Thoughts? Advice?
i like whiffing rolls to get in,ducks teleslaps but random downswords catch it so its risky
dont really like to telekick in this match because of ex/upsword.....unless i tele a reflect,love when that happens :)

Death

Noob
Whiffing Rolls will get you blown up. This match is in Kenshis favor but Mileena players can try and play footsies with kenshi outside Spirit charge distance and throw out random IAS. Sometimes the kenshi player will try and reflect it and this is your opening to telekick. NEVER random telekick because that will get you blown up. The best bet vs Kenshi is to play a footsie game from full screen throwing out IAS on occasion and try and play a mind game to where kenshi will reflect. And this what u want. You can telekick a whiff reflect on reaction. Also im pretty sure you can telekick a down slash on reaction too. But on the screen theres sweet spots between med down slash and far downslash where neither will hit. And that spot is usually a good spot to throw out IAS and also its outside of spirit charge range.

But look out for the armored moves up close as well.

1man3letters

Whiffing Rolls will get you blown up. This match is in Kenshis favor but Mileena players can try and play footsies with kenshi outside Spirit charge distance and throw out random IAS. Sometimes the kenshi player will try and reflect it and this is your opening to telekick. NEVER random telekick because that will get you blown up. The best bet vs Kenshi is to play a footsie game from full screen throwing out IAS. If he tries to reflect then telekick and pressure.
why will roll to get under teleslaps and wrong places swords get mileena blown up?
cant kenshi just cut mileena outside of charge range out of the air sais with downsword?

Whiffing Rolls will get you blown up. This match is in Kenshis favor but Mileena players can try and play footsies with kenshi outside Spirit charge distance and throw out random IAS. Sometimes the kenshi player will try and reflect it and this is your opening to telekick. NEVER random telekick because that will get you blown up. The best bet vs Kenshi is to play a footsie game from full screen throwing out IAS on occasion and try and play a mind game to where kenshi will reflect. And this what u want. You can telekick a whiff reflect on reaction. Also im pretty sure you can telekick a down slash on reaction too. But on the screen theres sweet spots between med down slash and far downslash where neither will hit. And that spot is usually a good spot to throw out IAS and also its outside of spirit charge range.

But look out for the armored moves up close as well.
^Yeah pretty much this. I do use whiffed rolls, (probably too much for my own good), because honestly, she can't do nothing else from that far away. I don't see why Kenshi would need reflect at all. Ever. He can trade with her sais or just block them.

Also, Spirit charge (EX reaches hella far) screws me over whenever i try to play footsies at all. iAS works, but it just feels like in order to get damage you have to gamble unsafe options, where Kenshi's are safe. If I can knock him down, I have a chance. But one hit and it's through the gauntlet again. It's like noob except he has armor...

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Mileena vs. Sektor should be 6-4 maybe even 6.5-3.5 in her favor

This is what I do against Kenshi... Seems effective, but probably because most Kenshi players are garbage.

Seriously about 95% of the kenshi players I've played just stand there and hold block waiting for you to try something predictable and punishable. So, I just get as far away as I can and chuck a few ias. The kenshi player will then start either tryign to reflect the sais, or use tele-flurry. You can then either telekick the wiffed reflect or telekick his tele-flurry. Then you're in.. at this point with at least one meter bar and you get to start the mixup game. After landed telekick, you could start with the 42 pressure, u4, or my experience is that very few players react and block b3 EX roll correctly.

See how he reacts after your combos.. compensate accordingly... (that goes for like, every matchup regardless of who you're playing).

Against raiden what I do is dash forward and keep doing fd4, which makes mileena do D4. Tap blocks in between to stop him from supermanning your face. If you use fd4 instead of just pressing d4, it makes you auto punish his teleport by instantly hitting it with a roll.

More to it than just those tactics which are probably widely known / countered now though.

I still have problems against KL and Jax.. They're beatable, but jeez, even mediocre players that use KL give me matches that are much closer than they should be. I know what to do against him, but I'd say it's one of Mileena's worst matchups. Smoke and Ermac can be troublesome too if they know what they're doing.

but yea.. it's definitely not true that mileena has no bad matchups. that's just silly.

This is what I do against Kenshi... Seems effective, but probably because most Kenshi players are garbage.

Seriously about 95% of the kenshi players I've played just stand there and hold block waiting for you to try something predictable and punishable. So, I just get as far away as I can and chuck a few ias. The kenshi player will then start either tryign to reflect the sais, or use tele-flurry. You can then either telekick the wiffed reflect or telekick his tele-flurry. Then you're in.. at this point with at least one meter bar and you get to start the mixup game. After landed telekick, you could start with the 42 pressure, u4, or my experience is that very few players react and block b3 EX roll correctly.

See how he reacts after your combos.. compensate accordingly... (that goes for like, every matchup regardless of who you're playing).
I played both xxTeefxx and Pig of the Hut online recently in the Kenshi/Mileena matchup and it's still very hard. (I went about even with teef, but didn't win a match against Pig's Kenshi) The biggest issue I face in this match is the armor. Kenshi will almost always have at least a bar once you get in on him. If he didn't build a bar by trying to zone you, he'll certainly have one once you land a combo. This make pressuring him a lot more risky since one EX RK and you get flung back across the screen. Death has it right about the sweet spot between mid/far down slashes, but it's just hard to stay there since any movement from either character closes that space.

I do see where Kenshi has to take gambles in his own guessing though. It's just hard to pressure when all your frame traps get blown out by armor.

Updated Chart. my opinions of course

Mileena vs:

Baraka: 5/5
Cyber Sub-Zero: 6/4 (according to Pig of the Hut)
Cyrax: 6/4 (debate w/ Konqrr & Pig of the Hut)
Ermac: 4.5/5.5
Freddy Kreuger: 5.5/4.5
Jade: 5/5
Jax: 4/6
Johnny Cage: 5/5
Kabal: 4/6
Kano: 6/4
Kenshi: 4/6
Kitana: 5/5
Kung Lao: 4/6
Liu Kang: 5/5
Nightwolf: 6/4
Noob Saibot: 5/5
Quan Chi: 6/4 (according to Shujinkydink and Pig of the Hut)
Raiden: 4/6 (debate w/ Pig of the Hut and B W1zZ)
Rain: 4.5/5.5
Reptile: 6/4
Scorpion: 5/5
Sektor: 5.5/4.5
Shang Tsung: 5.5/4.5
Sheeva: 7/3
Sindel: 6/4
Skarlet: 4.5/5.5
Smoke: 4.5/5.5
Sonya Blade: 4/6
Stryker: 5.5/4.5
Sub-Zero: 5/5

Mileena is slowly becoming figured out, Remember when people thought she was top 3? top 5? top 10 even?

1man3letters

like the look of the chart zero

can i ask your opinions on the 6/4 vs cyrax match, this matchup still gives me major problems,
dont get to play it as much as id like offline

the noob saibot match has become an annoyance lately also