What's new

Mileena General Discussion

Guys you got to check out the Tampa Never Sleeps #4 tourny that was uploaded to youtube 2 days ago. There is a Mileena player there who played extremely well (Hourglass_of_rain). Some really beautiful set ups with kung lao Kameo. Won't spoil the results in case anyone wants to watch the whole thing. It was a really great tournament, some excellent Smoke play too. Which was extra fun for me as Mileena and Smoke are my two favorites in the game atm.

Noserfatu

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
What is mileena supposed to do on wakeup when getting pressured by someone like cage, especially in the corner? No wakeup armor options, feels horrible

What is mileena supposed to do on wakeup when getting pressured by someone like cage, especially in the corner? No wakeup armor options, feels horrible
Her db2 teleport has armor when enhanced, that's her wakeup armor. Unless you meant against multi-hit meaties or something?

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Down teleport is her armored wakeup, but some Cage strings will often break it. Sometimes I do EX ball roll and if they're pressing buttons, which they are, it might clip them.

Also, got to Demi God with her! Was fun (hell) against a sea of Johnny's and Baraka/Cyrax.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
More pro-level Mileena, at least for half the video.

Gunshow vs Honeybee:

After watching a fair amount of Mileena played at this level, I think I want that -15 flawless block to go away now. It hurts her up-close game in a way that I don't think any other character has to deal with.

She does well at a decently high level where she can catch the opponent slipping and turn that into a lot of damage + set play, but at the pro level where those sorts of mistakes are rarer, she really seems to struggle, especially when her best string is basically a free punish if it isn't covered with an assist.

I don't think the gap needs to be that negative, certainly not so negative where you're still punished even if you call an assist, it just seems excessive.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
More pro-level Mileena, at least for half the video.

Gunshow vs Honeybee:

After watching a fair amount of Mileena played at this level, I think I want that -15 flawless block to go away now. It hurts her up-close game in a way that I don't think any other character has to deal with.

She does well at a decently high level where she can catch the opponent slipping and turn that into a lot of damage + set play, but at the pro level where those sorts of mistakes are rarer, she really seems to struggle, especially when her best string is basically a free punish if it isn't covered with an assist.

I don't think the gap needs to be that negative, certainly not so negative where you're still punished even if you call an assist, it just seems excessive.
This is exactly my thoughts Ive seen saying as well. Its extremely hard (at higher levels) to work around 12 being so bad on block. Its like shes almost forced to only pressure if she has a kameo. Shes fun overall and I do enjoy her but that shit gets old real quick against people who know Mileena

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Nah, I think 12 should only be used as a punish, or bait tool. It's so good to just S1 and go into throw or walk back and catch them slipping. I don't think it affects her at all. Think outside the box, use it to your advantage not theirs. Not saying it isn't a weakness cause it is, but make it a strength instead. Use the mind game it creates.

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
I'm curious why people don't like using 21 or F24 with her. I think they're really good besides 12. You still have good staggers with stand 1 alone with it as well.

PS it's been so long since I commented on TYM, just curious about the vibe of the site now.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
I'm curious why people don't like using 21 or F24 with her. I think they're really good besides 12. You still have good staggers with stand 1 alone with it as well.

PS it's been so long since I commented on TYM, just curious about the vibe of the site now.
Probably cause they're way slower than 12's 7f. But again, they're good in neutral. Defo need to use 21 more than just combos lmao.

JDE

Probably cause they're way slower than 12's 7f. But again, they're good in neutral. Defo need to use 21 more than just combos lmao.
10 frames are only a 3frame difference. F2 maybe I could see I guess, but I still use them lol. Maybe it's just me.

Last edited:

JDE

why did I think it was much slower lmao
Yeah I just checked it right before I got off & got back busy to what I was doing (jobs, house stuff etc). Stand 2 is 10 frames. F2 is 18 in case people would question it. So I could probably understand why folks gripe about f2, but even that isn't bad to me because it's a forward advancing button with a low as a follow up then +2 at the end of it.

Even still, it's a good tool to have. 21 in general is a good stagger pressure tool that leaves her -4 on block. Yeah I get that it's 3 frames slower than 12, but you give people something more to think about besides just staggering 1, 1, 12, 1, throw etc. You have an overhead after it too. 21 1+3 & 12 1+3 both have gaps, but that's where the mind games come into play. 12 & Ex sais are knowledge checks for people to see if they're willing to flawless & upblock. She becomes more honest if you're relying on them constantly. Didn't really mention F1 though that's an option. The game in general has a lot of character gaps. So it's not exclusive to her. She's stubby for sure.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
Alright, I kept my nose turned up at Mileena/Scorpion for way too long. I still think he's far from her best Kameo, but fuck me, he's just fun. Letting 50/50s rip with either 12 or 1xxEx Low Sai into big damage is the sort of boost of dopamine I need after a day at work. It's unsafe as shit, sure, but it's the sort of high risk/high reward playstyle that Mileena just seems to thrive in, and honestly, I just like going unga-bunga from time to time.

xRantex

Rante Inferno
Yeah I just checked it right before I got off & got back busy to what I was doing (jobs, house stuff etc). Stand 2 is 10 frames. F2 is 18 in case people would question it. So I could probably understand why folks gripe about f2, but even that isn't bad to me because it's a forward advancing button with a low as a follow up then +2 at the end of it.

Even still, it's a good tool to have. 21 in general is a good stagger pressure tool that leaves her -4 on block. Yeah I get that it's 3 frames slower than 12, but you give people something more to think about besides just staggering 1, 1, 12, 1, throw etc. You have an overhead after it too. 21 1+3 & 12 1+3 both have gaps, but that's where the mind games come into play. 12 & Ex sais are knowledge checks for people to see if they're willing to flawless & upblock. She becomes more honest if you're relying on them constantly. Didn't really mention F1 though that's an option. The game in general has a lot of character gaps. So it's not exclusive to her. She's stubby for sure.
Yea I use F1 a lot since it's her mid and has mix.

Reactions: JDE

JDE

I usually try to use everything given to me with resources, but here's a kameo list that I made that tells how I feel about who she's good with. It's not in order. The ones I like the most are Scorpion, Goro, Kung Lao, Sektor, Jax,& Sub-Zero. Sonya & Stryker actually underrated with her imo. I'm sure some disagrees which I get it. Cyrax is strong, but the only thing that I dislike about him is how sometimes you call him in during a combo sequence & then the opponent may or may not go in the direction that you want them to while going for a juggle follow up at times.

I'm still trying to get used to Goro's juggles too, but he does offer unique ways to keep her safe, plus an extra overhead with unblockable setups.

xRantex

Rante Inferno
I usually try to use everything given to me with resources, but here's a kameo list that I made that tells how I feel about who she's good with. It's not in order. The ones I like the most are Scorpion, Goro, Kung Lao, Sektor, Jax,& Sub-Zero. Sonya & Stryker actually underrated with her imo. I'm sure some disagrees which I get it. Cyrax is strong, but the only thing that I dislike about him is how sometimes you call him in during a combo sequence & then the opponent may or may not go in the direction that you want them to while going for a juggle follow up at times.

I'm still trying to get used to Goro's juggles too, but he does offer unique ways to keep her safe, plus an extra overhead with unblockable setups.

View attachment 21179
Yeah I'm using the Mileena / Goro team

And unblockable stomp setups?? Hmmm I'll have to try those.

Versa

Noob
Shorty's 1,2 being flawless blockable is a massive weakness and bad game design IMO.

All that nonsense the top 5 is getting away with, but for some reason when designing her kit they deeply considered Balance? OK I guess lol.

If the move is gonna be like that, she should be able to stop after the 2nd hit. Make the string 1,2,2 or something.

Wouldn't be that bad if f+1 was a little quicker. I think she's still pretty good but she's definitely unstable at the highest levels because the best of the best will make her best move up close risky AF to do.

If you're average like most of us and probably won't ever go against the absolutely best players who will FB 1,2, it's all good, but knowing her limit vs the elite kinda makes me uncomfortable.

Hourglass of Rain is amazing though. Shout outs to the person who posted about watching his run on TNS #4. Sacrificing damage after j. 22 x dB 4 to start low hat set play is some mad scientist shit.

Hourglass of Rain is amazing though. Shout outs to the person who posted about watching his run on TNS #4. Sacrificing damage after j. 22 x dB 4 to start low hat set play is some mad scientist shit.
Yup definetly worth it. After I learned that, I blow people up online so much more now especially at my local. I hardly ever end combos with f4 anymore unless I try to persuade them to wake up with armor during a meaty then just F4 again. Shout out to hourglass for that.