What's new

Microsoft Respond To Concerns Over Xbox1

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
Jesus christ, you people are stupid. Do you really believe digital marketplaces are going anywhere? The xbone and PS4 are guaranteed to each have very robust digital delivery services - shit, I know for a fact that the PS3 already has the ability to buy and download a huge portion of its library through the PlayStation store. What Microsoft fucked up was not promoting digital, but curtailing physical. There's two ways of encouraging behavior, the carrot or the stick. Microsoft up until a few hours ago has been zero carrot and all stick, and people do not fucking like sticks. They need to enhance the value of what they are trying to promote, not destroying the value ofwhat they want to move away from.
Yeah....I do think that was the issue...well it was mine...people need a choice and if you make something better then somethong else they will choose ms gave no benifit and only penalties...

Sent under duress.

I hate the Internet. Nothing will change. The whiners have gotten what they want but are still getting a PS4 and the "console war" will continue here and every where else.

Just to add in some reading material: http://gizmodo.com/the-xbox-one-just-got-way-worse-and-its-our-fault-514411905

Absolutely agree. They caved to a vocal minority who were so loud that most of their content customer base were never heard. And the sad part here is that those guys who were so loud and vocal are still going to buy a PS4 since that was there plan all along. I guess it's to be expected it's not the first time in history technological progress was halted because of peoples adversity to change. Just wish they had followed Apples footsteps and stuck to their guns like they did with the iphone 1 when it wasn't affordable and easily accessible to everyone and required a dataplan.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
I would argue (with the article) that it's not our fault at all. Clearly they had something else going on to second guess themselves. They were so adamant that they were changing the future of console gaming, but apparently that all meant nothing and they didn't have as much confidence in their system as they let on.

You can't say "We're so innovative!", then turn around and change everything because it's controversial. I had a feeling they might do this and their lack of conviction makes me even more disappointed in them.
And honestly I agree with you...that they lacked conviction. Bottom line is that today they made what they thought would be the best decision for them, and though they arguably could have made the "right" decision today, the question going forward is at what cost.

For me personally, the reason I wanted to go to next gen was the promise of something different. IMO the PS4 doesn't have that cause I'm not truly interested in a shinier, more powerful box then last gen, I want something different and a box where the entire base is online, where the entire base has kinect, where the entire base share games and all that jazz, could have/would have been something different. As it stands now, the next gen is essentially the same as this gen, and both consoles offer the same experiences. Forget about price, they do the same shit as each other, and as last gen...what is "cool" about that?

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
Jesus christ, you people are stupid. Do you really believe digital marketplaces are going anywhere? The xbone and PS4 are guaranteed to each have very robust digital delivery services - shit, I know for a fact that the PS3 already has the ability to buy and download a huge portion of its library through the PlayStation store. What Microsoft fucked up was not promoting digital, but curtailing physical. There's two ways of encouraging behavior, the carrot or the stick. Microsoft up until a few hours ago has been zero carrot and all stick, and people do not fucking like sticks. They need to enhance the value of what they are trying to promote, not destroying the value ofwhat they want to move away from.

The issue isn't whether the digital services are going away, its' that the digital ecosystem of the X1 has been fundamentally changed. I personally was looking forward to getting an X1 with a free entry copy of KI3 and maybe a few games, and then going online to share my games, as well as my friends games, and have a massive library to draw from. That is now gone. I am limited to the friends I have here, and as my family lives thousands of miles away, I cannot share games with them.

The major selling point of the X1 is now gone, and it's MS's fault for being fucking jackasses, as well as, IMHO, the thousands of other gamers out there who had/have no clue what they were giving up.

Saint Connor

Team F.Y.F.
Essentially Next Gen is two boxes that are gimped PC's. PC Gamers really have no incentive to purchase a nextgen console.
Then don't...

Seriously, are PC gamers so hard up for a dick measuring contest that they have to post stupid shit like this constantly? I PC game, too, but fuck me this is dumb.

Then don't...

Seriously, are PC gamers so hard up for a dick measuring contest that they have to post stupid shit like this constantly? I PC game, too, but fuck me this is dumb.

Nice I like how you with all of your genius elaborate your arguments so well. You don't sound one bit like a 12 year old in your rant of profanity.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
Sad to see people these days only care about graphics apparently. You think this is all about graphics? You definitely think you know more than you do and it's sad to see you can't even think outside the box (you're not alone though). Unlike you (Like I said earlier...) I reserve my judgement for when I can actually see what it does instead of sitting here speculating like it's fact. I bet you also thought the Oculus Rift would suck cause Nintendo Virtual Boy showed that Virtual Reality "is horseshit".
I forgot to respond to this earlier. Don't think you're getting off that easily.

So what do you think it's about? What's the point of the continued increases in sheer number crunching power? Graphics are the main goal. Even besides that, dealing with some of the more novel uses of processing power, cloud computing can accomplish almost nothing. It's only good for distributed computing (i.e., the SETI or Folding@Home projects) or for handling data that is transmitted from and to many users (MMO servers, SimCity 5). Cloud computing allows very complex things to be solved off-site, but it is in no way efficient for moment-to-moment usage, which most games will depend on. For anybody who knows what the fuck they are talking about (not you), the uses and limitations of what Microsoft is proposing are already very clear - and by the way, not in any way unique to the capabilities of the Xbone.

The issue isn't whether the digital services are going away, its' that the digital ecosystem of the X1 has been fundamentally changed. I personally was looking forward to getting an X1 with a free entry copy of KI3 and maybe a few games, and then going online to share my games, as well as my friends games, and have a massive library to draw from. That is now gone. I am limited to the friends I have here, and as my family lives thousands of miles away, I cannot share games with them.

The major selling point of the X1 is now gone, and it's MS's fault for being fucking jackasses, as well as, IMHO, the thousands of other gamers out there who had/have no clue what they were giving up.
This post makes me laugh, and laugh, and laugh. If you think there was going to be no associated tradeoff with the "family" system, whether it be limited license uses, restricted playtime, exclusive usage (i.e., you can't give your friend your copy of MK10 and play with him at the same time), or some other horseshit you are absolutely dreaming. Microsoft wouldn't just give people the ability to share no-strings-attached copies of games after implementing insanely draconian policies. Utterly ludicrous.

Facts are denial? Huh.

Internet.
LOL, don't associate "facts" with JaredL. He's the king of ignoring all facts that do not serve his own opinion.
Jesus christ, you people are stupid. Do you really believe digital marketplaces are going anywhere?
Yes, evidenced by iTunes, Nook, Steam, Netflix, etc.
Practically every medium of entertainment has embraced a digital sales perspective which has propelled them tremendously. Nobody's stupid here.
This post makes me laugh, and laugh, and laugh. If you think there was going to be no associated tradeoff with the "family" system, whether it be limited license uses, restricted playtime, exclusive usage (i.e., you can't give your friend your copy of MK10 and play with him at the same time), or some other horseshit you are absolutely dreaming.
You are effectively dragging this thread 30+ pages backwards. Onilordasmodeus is well aware of obvious restrictions, as they've been addressed several times already by him and others. The restrictions simply do not effect him. The only thing these policies even restrict is the abuse of the system. In fact, some are not even restrictions at all. A PS4 disk of MK10 cannot be played with a distant friend at the same time either. That's not a console restriction, that's a goddamn physics restriction.

Why do people link that gizmondo site? Even Kotaku responded to that.

1) MS never mention any steam like pricing
2) MS could of done steam like sales for their current digital games, guess what? they don't.
3) MS already has a steam like digital store. GFWL. Guess what? Shit is almost never on sale and rarely updated in regards to pricing.

Graphics and gameplay matter. People who claim gfx aren't important are delusional. FF7 wasn't the first RPG nor was it the first "good" rpg in a long time, but it had the most modern graphics that amazed people at the time.

Look at the first Halo. Halo wasn't the first sci-fi shooter, but everybody remembers how fucking amazing it was to see Halo universe without loading screens every few minutes.

Crysis 1 and 2 are ONLY known due to their graphics fidelity. They are mediocre shooters at BEST. I have both of them on my pc and shit is just lackluster compared to Halo.

MS has the habit of not being able to read the consumer. It happen with MSN messenger. It happen when the ipod came out. It happen when the iphone came out (LOL). It happen with google. Why are people surprise at this shit?

For me the pros to console gaming is

1) I can play the system on the go

2) I can lend games to friends/family

3) I only need 2 things to play the games, the console and a monitor.

PC gaming has tons of advantages, but none of its advantages can fill the gap that console gaming does. Its apples and oranges really. Its like comparing a fucking pc to a portable gaming. Different uses, simple as that.

edit

Also regarding ps4 vs xb1.

Same shit different day. Buy the system where you ( the individual) like the exclusives. Don't give me the "o Sony/MS have no exclusive" shit. We already had one idiot saying Gran Turismo was a small franchise. So small that it sells 10mil copies per game.

aj1701

Noob
Yes, evidenced by iTunes, Nook, Steam, Netflix, etc.
Practically every medium of entertainment has embraced a digital sales perspective which has propelled them tremendously. Nobody's stupid here.
The other commonality between the services you mention is that the digital copy is cheaper. Brand new album is under $10, hd movie is 13. Physical copies are 15 and 23 respectively. Steam is also cheaper I believe. Maybe games would have been cheaper on xbone, but I never heard that stated.

The other commonality between the services you mention is that the digital copy is cheaper. Brand new album is under $10, hd movie is 13. Physical copies are 15 and 23 respectively. Steam is also cheaper I believe. Maybe games would have been cheaper on xbone, but I never heard that stated.
It was probably too early to make a direct statement that games would be cheaper from the get-go. Inevitably price drops would have happened due to a dramatic reduction in distribution expenses, lack of resale value for consumers, physical & material costs of production, control over used game market, manual labor cuts, etc.

Microsoft missed a massive selling point by not emphasizing the potential for lower prices.