What's new

Microsoft Respond To Concerns Over Xbox1

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
So glad they are coming to their senses about this DRM nonsense. Xbox clearly has the better games atm. Maybe now people will start focusing on that other than its stupid policies. PS4 looks good and I like the price, it just has no games that interest me. KI3 and Panzer Dragoon? Yessir.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
Unfortunately, I live in a suburb with internet connection, so I have to see notifications of all the silly things you post in this thread. For example, you telling me a console that hasn't been released will out perform another.

And I'm laughing at some of you when you say you're boycotting a console because they reversed all the policies you spent days on end bitching about.

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
Unfortunately, I live in a suburb with internet connection, so I have to see notifications of all the silly things you post in this thread. For example, you telling me a console that hasn't been released will out perform another.

And I'm laughing at some of you when you say you're boycotting a console because they reversed all the policies you spent days on end bitching about.

Price is the same.
Kinect is still there.
Hardware is the same.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
How ironic is it that people complaining about the online features and requirements of a next generation console are using the internet to voice their concerns.
That's a moot point and you are grasping for straws.

I am NEVER signed into Xbox Live unless I plan on playing online. There is no need to be online when you play a game offline. Also, I hate the notifications (you can turn them off, I know).

I don't want to be required to be connected to play an offline game, not even for a 2 second "check".

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I'm just going to get this out of the way first, I'm a bad person, a horrible human being.

I'm kind of sad they are doing this, I was enjoying all the people dog piling on the xbox, it was like all the gamers in the world came together for one goal, shitting on MS.

I wanted to sit by and watch as a the xbox brand burned up in flames and 10+ years of hard work by MS is completely undone by a few insane business decisions.

However, it's probably for the best, because the general public would probably let me down anyway and it would still somehow be the best selling system on the market and set horrible precedent that ruined gaming forever.

Now if only Sony went back on their decision to charge for online multiplayer.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
This thread has no point to it anymore. The cry fest is over now and whatever halfway decent points were even brought up in response to these policies hold no weight any longer.

This thread has no point to it anymore. The cry fest is over now and whatever halfway decent points were even brought up in response to these policies hold no weight any longer.

The whole Japanese exclusive games that tend to be on Sony only issue? I still find it an issue.

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
I'm just going to get this out of the way first, I'm a bad person, a horrible human being.

I'm kind of sad they are doing this, I was enjoying all the people dog piling on the xbox, it was like all the gamers in the world came together for one goal, shitting on MS.

I wanted to sit by and watch as a the xbox brand burned up in flames and 10+ years of hard work by MS is completely undone by a few insane business decisions.

However, it's probably for the best, because the general public would probably let me down anyway and it would still somehow be the best selling system on the market and set horrible precedent that ruined gaming forever.

Now if only Sony went back on their decision to charge for online multiplayer.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
I'm gonna throw this out here: Fuck consoles.

I have no plans to get either one, as the paywall multiplayer is a sticking point I absolutely refuse to budge on. Having been a PC gamer since the dawn of time right alongside consoles, the idea of having to pay for multiplayer is nothing short of absolutely fucking abhorrent to me. I'm perpetually horrified that anyone ever paid a cent for XBL, given what little it's ever offered both in terms of absolute and relative value. PSN+ may well be a better overall package, but I don't want what it offers. Sony can get fucked just the same. Nothing the new consoles offer is in any respect superior to owning even a mid-range gaming PC, especially since the Xbone is an underpowered piece of trash and will be holding down the overall quality on all platforms for as long as people are developing multiplat.

That said, if I were absolutely forced to purchase a console - and I can't see how this would happen, but let's just pretend for a minute - does anybody even dream I would consider an Xbone? Why would I pay more to put something that amounts to a surveillance device in my home, with more expensive and less robust features in pretty much every dimension? How does anybody look at the raw statistics and decide the Xbone is a good idea?

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
I invite every single person who defended these policies, to tell me how this backpedaling is a disappointment and they are very unhappy.

I wouldn't go so far as say I'm unhappy, because I wasn't going to buy it either way.

The article specifies that this change is for disc based games. I can only assume there is still some type of authentication if you install the program (or for full digital delivery games). In a few years, the end result will probably be indistinguishable, because given the option, most people will opt for a digital download and there has to be some form of authentication for new installs.

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
I wouldn't go so far as say I'm unhappy, because I wasn't going to buy it either way.

The article specifies that this change is for disc based games. I can only assume there is still some type of authentication if you install the program (or for full digital delivery games). In a few years, the end result will probably be indistinguishable, because given the option, most people will opt for a digital download and there has to be some form of authentication for new installs.

Ilthuain
#SuicideWatch

Kisze

Noob
http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

Looks like its true.

They are backpedaling.

I invite every single person who defended these policies, to tell me how this backpedaling is a disappointment and they are very unhappy.

It's almost like you haven't understood the stuff people have been posting, but I guess the point of replying to you with facts against misinformation and giving different views on things that aren't black & white is not so you can understand it but so the other people who might actually read and absorb it might.

No 24hr DRM - This is good, now you can bring it to your cabin or if you're in the military or whatever. Not sure if it will ever have affected me but it's one thing you won't have to keep in mind anymore. I guess Major Nelson might have listened to a suggestion e said he'd pass to the engineers about being able to turn it off while still not being abusable (i.e installing the same game on any number of consoles with one disc etc.).

No region locking (I'm not 100% sure if this is confirmed?) - This is good for anyone who were affected, no doubt. I wasn't affected so it didn't factor that much into my decision.

No restrictions on trading and loaning it seems - This is only good news IF it doesn't interfere with the current idea of library sharing and that stuff. If it doesn't, then great.

Like I've said earlier though many people are so fast to judge both consoles before they are even released (acting as if they own both of them and can directly compare them side-by-side). I'm waiting until both consoles are on the market and we can see what they do for ourselves instead of listening to just PR from Sony, Microsoft and JaredL. The cloud thing is something we don't even understand fully yet so how can we judge it without seeing it? And the hardware doesn't have to make such a big difference as some of you people say.

Let this thread die.

http://testyourmight.com/threads/massive-changes-in-microsofts-xbox-one-policy.34530/

The changes are as follows:
  • The Xbox One will no longer require an internet connection to play offline games. Even downloaded games will function the same regardless of whether the system is connected
  • The 24-hour network check-in period will be done away with.
  • There will be no restrictions on disc-based games -- buyers will be free to trade and resell dics as they please, like they currently can with the Xbox 360.
  • Region locking is gone.
Xbox 1 just won next gen. Killer Instinct will be incredible.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
The cloud thing is something I don't even understand fully yet so how can we judge it without seeing it? And the hardware doesn't have to make such a big difference as some of you people say.
Fixed that for you.

Cloud computing is horseshit. It's not going to do anything like make your graphics better. You fell for marketing. The raw statistics are the only thing that is going to make any difference for 95% of the games period, and any game that will use cloud computing will use it only for a fraction of its overall feature set.