What's new

Mandatory Compatibility Pack "Petition"

Sign here

• Total voters

Immortal Reaver

Team Sub-Zero
I originally started this thread over at TRMK but I figure that it's good to spread it around, hopefully we can be heard by NRS.

I think NRS should make the compatibility packs a required download to be able to play online. If I pay for DLC, I should be able to use it any time I want. I shouldn't just not be able to use it because someone is too lazy to download the free pack or lives under a rock. To some people it might not matter but think about this.... What if your favorite character wasn't selectable just because someone else didn't download something for free?

It's always a crapshoot on whether or not I'll be able to use a character that I want or just a costume. I also can't use my MK1 Sub-Zero the majority of the time, even after re-installing the costume multiple times.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
A week or two ago paulo garcia posted that the reason its not forced is because lthere are like 5 xbox owners who refuse to get the HDD, so everyone has to suffer for it.
He also said that they brought it up a lot, but to no avail. He did say that if you want it changed to write to MS and WB to voice your opinion, I guess a petition is one way to do that.

Usually these go no where, but they even a slime chance is better then no chance.

A week or two ago paulo garcia posted that the reason its not forced is because lthere are like 5 xbox owners who refuse to get the HDD, so everyone has to suffer for it.
He also said that they brought it up a lot, but to no avail. He did say that if you want it changed to write to MS and WB to voice your opinion, I guess a petition is one way to do that.

Usually these go no where, but they even a slime chance is better then no chance.
If that's the case, it's a very weak excuse...

First off, I have a PS3, so they should at least make it manadatory on the PS3, as all PS3's have a harddrive. As for those on XBox that don't have a harddrive, don't have any space, or don't want to buy one, sorry about your luck. I, like everyone else that has the DLC, paid for the right to use it. There is absolutely no excuse whatsoever to deny someone that has paid for the content from using it. I don't play a lot of games online, but I can't think of any other game where you pay for content, but aren't allowed to use it if the people you are playing with doesn't have it.

At the VERY LEAST, there should be a way to identify what all DLC players have BEFORE going into a game. At least that way, if you want to use DLC that they don't have you don't have to accept a challenge to them, wait for it to link up, get to the player select screen, THEN find out that they don't have the DLC you want to use.

Nobody is forcing people to buy the DLC, but just because someone else chooses not to have it, doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to use it, especially when I paid to be able to use it.

-Bill

Immortal Reaver

Team Sub-Zero
I would be pissed if it was PS3 exclusive. I play on 360 and if I pay for the DLC I have just as much of a right to use it than anyone else. I understand the HDD issue though. But I have no clue why anyone would buy a 360 without a HDD. That's like buying a car with a gas tank that is 1 gallon capacity.

Petiotion (Yes please).

I also agree that the updates should be mandatory for a few reasons. One reason is like others has stated they can't use their skins for the various characters like noob,smoke,cyrax, and sektor. But I have also read that these updates also fix the broken stuff like the loop trick with Kung Lao. That is my biggest concern I don't want other people to have the upper hand because they chose to opt out of the update. Another reason I have read that the biggest reason competion and tournements chose PS3 over the X-box is because of this very reason. Player's opting out of the compatibility updates to cheat or obtain the unfair advantage.

But who knows, all I know is Reptile Rocks, and update or not he comming for you haha....

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Well for the people who don't download it you shouldn't be able to even join or see someone who does. I paid for the DLC, I want to use it. I shouldn't suffer for some people not buying a hard drive and realizing that new updates have came out. Separate them, give them a few rooms to play their NO COMPATABILITY PACK games in and make them only find others in ranked and player who have no packs as well. I'm sure that's a lot of programming but if they have no choice it seems like the only option. Otherwise I'm just gonna leave every time I see my DLC isn't available, which is about 5/10 times I get a match.

Gamin_Guru

Shang Bang

it's 2011 and there are some scrubs out there without a HDD in their console lolwut. At least it should be mandatory for PS3 owners and without the compatibility packs, people should not be allowed online.

Kwon

---->----
Mandatory for PS3 would be nice, and Writing about that the Compatibility Packs are FREE in the Message of the Day popup for those who are too lazy.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
I just favor rather than making it mandatory, they split the online community in two over the issue and say "either download THIS FREE SHIT or play by yourselves."

It's no skin off anybody's back. People who don't want the compatibility packs won't have to ragequit every time I pick Kenshi, and no one will miss fighting people without the compatibility packs because they're always worthless.

If we ask them to do this though, their counterpoint will be "we can't separate those seven people without HDDs on their 360s from the general MK population, that's not fair to them."

Ignoring the fact that it's really not fair that I get 4/10 games where I can use my paid content because my opponents are either poor, lazy, uninformed, or all three. The attitude here should be "fuck them, we have PAYING customers to attend to."

Subby

Frost Warrior
Please make it happen. Hate to practice a DLC character then end up not using it at all. Big no-no on NRS's end.

aj1701

Noob
Mandatory for PS3 would be nice, and Writing about that the Compatibility Packs are FREE in the Message of the Day popup for those who are too lazy.
I agree. No reason it can't be manditory on PS3. If MS made a braindead deal that they sold xboxes with no HD, well, that's their fault, and MS players can deal with it.

But on the ps3, no reason not to.

They DID put a message in MotD when Kenshi came out though, and it did mention the compat pack. Should've done it with Skarlet too.

Jamison

Noob
PS3 should make it mandatory and as soon as you access the online environment it should say update required before logging onto online community. Simple fix, so simple in fact why hasn't it been done yet? If you didn't buy the DLC you get to use them for free online. Wouldn't EVERYONE want to try new characters for free? I don't get it, but I play a ton of people online that don't have the compatibility pack who obviously need to be force fed the download.

i think the issue at hand is

the Xbox harddrive should be mandatory after purchasing an xbox

Seriously, no one uses memory cards for a primary source of memory anymore for video games..