What's new

Man it's discouraging for new players

Bug

Bug
Hey everyone,

Super new to mk, and I'm having such a blast with the game. I main scorpion with scorpion kameo.

I am constantly getting my ass kicked online. I feel like I'm coming along, but Jesus, when I lose, it's a catastrophe.

I kinda just don't get it. I feel like I'm negative on block on everything. I don't know when to punish, everytime I think I'm safe I'm not, and I honestly at this point, don't know what I'm doing wrong or what I'm even bitching about.

Is it a mistake for a new player to pick up scorpion? I just find myself blocking in a corner and hoping I can somehow poke my way out of a situation, but always getting interrupted by something I , but I find myself being bullied in the corner A LOT.

I guess what I'm asking is, what seperates a good player from a new player? I want to cross that gap but right now, I think I've reached the point of not really advancing until then.

Is up blocking pivotal to victory?

Hey everyone,

Super new to mk, and I'm having such a blast with the game. I main scorpion with scorpion kameo.

I am constantly getting my ass kicked online. I feel like I'm coming along, but Jesus, when I lose, it's a catastrophe.

I kinda just don't get it. I feel like I'm negative on block on everything. I don't know when to punish, everytime I think I'm safe I'm not, and I honestly at this point, don't know what I'm doing wrong or what I'm even bitching about.

Is it a mistake for a new player to pick up scorpion? I just find myself blocking in a corner and hoping I can somehow poke my way out of a situation, but always getting interrupted by something I , but I find myself being bullied in the corner A LOT.

I guess what I'm asking is, what seperates a good player from a new player? I want to cross that gap but right now, I think I've reached the point of not really advancing until then.

1. its mk tradition that scorp with scorp puts an extra target on your back :D
  2. sounds like you need to learn frame data. go to the move list in training, you can also open detailed move data there.
  3. no, its not a mistake to pick scorpion, hes pretty easy for newcomers and viable like everyone else in this game.
  4. up blocking is very strong but can also be strongly punished. its a rather situational tool to prevent spam.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Record match videos, upload them, then ask for feedback & advice. Also, Scorpion is a tough character to use if you’re a new player since he’s a low tier character.

rifraf

Noob
Also, since you're new to MK make sure to:
  1. Avoid online in the beginning altogether.
  2. Complete the Tutorials, and revisit them if you have to.
  3. Play against the AI on Very Hard until you comfortably winning.
  4. Spend lots of time in Practice mode labbing your combos.
  5. Slowly start getting accustomed to frame data.
  6. Start playing against others online when you've learned some combos and you're not getting destroyed by AI, preferably in kasual.
  7. Study your replays and lab the moves you're having difficulty with.
Idk how accustomed you are in fighting games in general, but keep in mind they are the most competitive genre in gaming. It's extremely easy for a newbie to be deterred from the game if they go online too early. The competition is brutal. Good luck!

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Just dropping by to say: Scorpion (the non-kameo) is one of the worst characters in the game right now. He IS mostly negative on block across his strings, many of which are also slow starting. That's why people who play him successfully usually pick a kameo that can keep him safe (like Stryker and, less commonly, Goro) OR they try doing set ups to catch the opponent with hard-to-blockables (Using kung lao, tossing a low hat and teleporting across the screen - now the opponent has to guess whether to block standing first, as to avoid his teleport kick from above, or crouch block, to avoid the low hat first).

I would definitely recommend just dropping scorpion altogether in the beginning, and picking a character like Li Mei, who is very well rounded and isnt hard to play as, or Raiden/Johnny Cage, which almost play the game FOR you, given how easy they are to play as, while also being top tier characters.

Playing Scorpion in this game requires extensive matchup knowledge and you must know exactly what you are doing and when to do it, almost every other character is simply better, making it an uphill battle.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes

It sounds boring but the numbers will tell you if you are safe and they are easy to understand once you know what to look for. Go to practice mode, most character's fastest move is their crouching jab(X on Xbox) or their standing jab. Look at the frame data numbers in pause menu. Scorpion jabs have a "startup" of probably like 7 or 8 frames, that's the speed it comes out.. the "frame advantage" tells you if your move will be faste enough to punish it. If the move says like -10 frame advantage, then a 7 or 8 frame "startup" move should be able to punish it. -6 or higher(-5, -4, etc) is completely safe from being punished, a lot of times when moves push you back far on block, they are hard to punish as well. Sometimes strings might be safe but have a gap that you can armor through or even poke through.

Pick one character to practice against and play against the computer and figure out some stuff. Take Scorpion, his teleport is very punishable, his spear spin is punishable, his one launching string is safe on block but you can duck the second hit to punish it..

Scorpion maybe not considered very strong but probably the bigger issue for you is that he's very 'honest' like not knowing what to punish and stuff will be tough sledding for him. But maybe stick with him and just play a straightforward Kameo to make it easier on you like Stryker, do stuff on block into grenades and end your strings in his cop bop or the low baton for mixups.

Keep it simple and try to build up the knowledge base of what to punish or how to defend against certain stuff.

Try to find players closer to your skill level if possible.

Bug

Bug
Okay. I want to grind for the max level scorpion kameo background, but yeah, I need to have more options that are safe.

Upon reflecting of this post, I think a lot of my difficulty stems from just being inexperienced. I've only been playing online for about 3 weeks, but this one Omni man gave me ptsd yesterday.

On a sidenote, I'm learning that cr. 1 and 1 standing on block is what's killing me. I think its +2 on block, and I keep catching myself pushing buttons afterword, and I keep getting countered. But when I'm in a corner, I don't know how to deal with pressure other than cr and standing jabs, and even then, I get caught pressing a button and then get punished further.

Idk. I'ma try to get in touch with that omni man and see if he wants to spar with me. I need to go to practice mode and see what I can punish and not punish though.

Yeah man, most people have been playing a good while. You just got to get the numbers down. Ive played fundamentally amazing players, that I was only able to consistently beat because they liked to 'learn by experience' and refused to do simple math and read frame data. Left holes in their gameplay where they had suboptimal habits or strategies that could have been corrected in 3 minutes by reading and knowing how frame data works. Do yourself a favor and dive straight into it. Its not everything, but its core to the game. As you go you will learn the different answers to things, for example a lot of plus on block strings start with a high. Even if you blocked a move that is say -5, you're good to use a 10 frame response after blocking it, but a 15 frame move gives the opponent time to poke. You might could punish a -12 move with an 11 frame startup, but it's going to be a lot smaller execution window than a 9 frame. Hitting on a late active frame actually changes the block advantage in your favor! Lot of little things you learn browsing TYM, and eventually get to the point you can do the math and strategize for yourself.

Find a youtuber that mains scorpion and watch how he handles situations. I dont play scorp but it seems like the most effective ones stay full screen and try to bait a situation for spear and then full combo.

Also, if you find yourself in a situation where a character is abusing something against you, you can go in practice and record yourself doing it as that fighter, and try to figure out your options against it. I have had people whoop me just spamming the same shit because I didnt understand "oh I can neutral jump out of this" or "Theres a gap here I can crouch poke to interrupt"

Bug

Bug
Yeah, I'm a huge fan of that mk_javier. Most recently he got somewhat famous for beating Sonic Fox, and Sonic Fox bitching about lag.

You know what though, I don't mean to keep on, on this thread, but I might have to spread my wings a little and maybe explore a different character.

I was gung-ho about scorp but maybe he's just not for me. I just feel trapped. Not having any lows to my disposal, and having to rely 100% on stryker to make things safe, it feels claustrophobic. It's hard to explain, but also I think I'm running into character exhaustion too.

My mouth is watering for ermac, it's so frustrating that Peacemaker will be coming out before him.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
Have you tried to play as other characters? Also it is going to be a match up thing too. you may need a kameo that has a low special like Kung Lao. Sometimes you gotta mix it up. I can't play the same character over and over. Plus playing each character gets mastery for brutalities and dragon crystals.

Bug

Bug
Have you tried to play as other characters? Also it is going to be a match up thing too. you may need a kameo that has a low special like Kung Lao. Sometimes you gotta mix it up. I can't play the same character over and over. Plus playing each character gets mastery for brutalities and dragon crystals.
Nice name, btw. She was always super hot to me.

Yeah out of nowhere, I picked up rain for a second and I might give him a try. It's super refreshing using a character that can utilize different cameos. I've never really had a reason to pick sun zero as a cameo, Im excited to try him out

Off topic, let's go Detroit.

Anansi416

Tarkat Lead Cook
Hey everyone,

To answer your question about what separates a good player from a new player? Go to the lab and learn what your frame data is and the common frame data of other characters. Some things are not as safe as they may appear to be. I could teach you how to read frame data and how to improve. I've played NRS games for over a decade.

Other crucial information is knowing the ranges of your normal, specials and mastering your character's movement. Characters have unique dashes, walk speeds, normal ranges, specials etc. and learning the proper spacing and synergy are vital steps to effectively creating favorable scenarios for you against your opponent. Playing good players is helpful but seeing what you are doing wrong visually is helpful too.

I encourage uploading footage and I'd love to help someone new get their footing :).

Up blocking isn't "pivotal" to victory but learning it can be helpful. Just be mindful of the fact that both sides of this have counterplay to be considered. Baited up blocks are full combo punishable but you can also get a combo from them so context and discernment matters when going for certain options.

Last edited:

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
Nice name, btw. She was always super hot to me.

Yeah out of nowhere, I picked up rain for a second and I might give him a try. It's super refreshing using a character that can utilize different cameos. I've never really had a reason to pick sun zero as a cameo, Im excited to try him out

Off topic, let's go Detroit.

Yes, Rain, Sub, and Khameleon are all fun!

And Thank you! I also have great songs too btw! lol.

Coming soon ... Me as Sindel and my new palace concert stage ala Retrocade. Let's go Detroit! ;)

mrapchem

Noob
Let me drop this up in here so that I can assist you:

What @rifraf said is exactly correct to the last syllable. My video playlist goes into a bit more detail, but it does basically explain why you should do all of those things. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help you!