What's new

mame32 umk3 kaillera?

kartar

Noob
I finally got all this stuff working, but now I can't find anyone to play. When's the best time to find some one who wants a umk3 game? Also, I don't know which version of MAME32k I should be using. I have like 5 versions because the one guy I found on there was using 0.64 and I had to find it to play.

Thanks for any help. I've been trying to get this to work for a few weeks now and I'm anxious to play online.

dreemernj

Ambassador
64 is a good one to use. That's still used a lot on Kaillera.

There is a newer version of Kaillera that a lot of people are using these days. It's P2P Kaillera and it can be downloaded here:
http://kaillera.movsq.net/

There is a file called kaillera.dll in your MAME directory. That file is Kaillera. It controls all the internet play stuff for MAME.

This replaces it with a new Kaillera.dll that lets you either connect to a server the way regular kaillera works or connect straight to an opponent by entering their IP address.

Hopefully some folks will get back to you about playing on Kaillera.

THere is a "Who's On?" box on the left side of the website. That's something that lets you advertise to members if you want to play Kaillera.

Pick the game you want to play and the service you want to play on (for instance Kaillera) and then enter something in the text box. If you are on AIM and are looking for a match put "AIM:your user" in the box and then hit the checkbox next to it.

That way everyone can see you want to play.

Also, be sure to fill in your AIM name or whatever in your profile. That way others can add you when they see this post and message you when they feel like playing.

If I am on a real computer later I'll try to hop on Kaillera too.

kartar

Noob
I've played a few more people... a couple of really, really good players too.

I'm getting pretty bad lag/delay even when both people have 30 ping. Is there anything I can change to help with it? I've been playing games online since Doom2 so I realize it won't ever be the same as offline, but some of my combos are basically impossible to do sometimes. I have my "connection type" set to "Good" but I haven't tried increasing it yet. Would that help the delay on my end?

Also, I'm having problems with the sound even offline. The sound starts to sputter and kinda echo. It doesn't affect the speed of the game usually, but it's annoying.

i usually play on reps emulinker server (IP: 216.239.59.99) and i'm almost always play with someone
I'll have to try there. I've been playing at "GodWeapons's Best of the Best Em - 69.31.15.190:27888" because I ping so well there, but everyone there acts like they're 12 years old. I've never heard so much complaining and shit talking over nothing. The chat line is 90% "fuck you" "you're a noob" and "[ban incoming]"

MAME + a DIY arcade stick = MK Sublimeness
I use a Logitech Xbox360 controller. It's weird because some auto combos (like human smoke's 3-hit) have to be performed very fast so they don't break, so I learned to hold the controller differently depending on the situation so I can use 2 fingers instead of just my thumb to press the buttons.

dreemernj

Ambassador
GodWeapon (and servers that run EmuLinker in general) will lie to you about your ping. Your ping will look better to those servers because it'll ping you a bunch of times and take the lowest one.

Emulinker sucks ass royally. Servers that run it are not as good as servers that don't. But it's very popular so people will always say it's good, lol.

P2P Kaillera is a really good way to go. And I have a server thats good if you are on the east coast of the US: 66.150.227.50

Also, Good is the standard setting for netplay. Setting it higher makes the gameplay feel better, but it requires you have a better connection to your opponent. So if you have a bad connection, increasing that won't make it better. It'll probably make it worse.

dreemernj

Ambassador
My Kaillera server is very nice. There are also now 8 websites running off of it, lol. But they are all low traffic sites so they don't affect the kaillera server.

It runs off a VPS with unlimited bandwidth capped at 2MBps (but extremely low latency to almost anybody on the east coast). The site runs great, and the tech support is amazing considering I got it unmanaged and it only costs $15 a month O.O

tektonic.net, so far, has been a great host.

They changed their plan around a little so you can get a VPS from them for $15 a month, the transfer rate isn't limited to 2mbps, but it has a 500GB limit per month on transfer.

Also, if you have multiple servers with them, communication between servers is unlimited and unmetered. Great for building in some inexpensive redundancy.

kartar

Noob
I left my laptop at school, so I've been playing on the DS while I'm at home. I'll have to try and find someone to play on your server when I get back.