is dragon's fire s+

• yeah

Votes: 84 68.9%
  • nah

Votes: 38 31.1%

• Total voters

st9rm

viennality.com
funny how everyone keeps saying xarasjch this xarahdjsbdf that but everyother s+ and s character has multiple insane liu kangs. i'm not saying liu isn't nasty i'm saying he lacks so much stuff he can't be called s+
what exactly does this character not have to be called s+?

Wigy

There it is...
Insane footsies good zoning arguably best pressure in the game. Who needs 50/50s when u have risk free rediculous guessing game where the other person has to be frame perfect to TRADE a poke on a GOOD read.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
kang is like 5-8 probably...his issue is exactly what foxy said in the podcast. If you pressure him like he pressures you, liu can't get out.

Liu kangs only weaknesses
1) bad reversals (except FF windmill punch)
2) slow normals/pokes...this is a necessary tradeoff

Because of these reasons, I see him no better than cage. Cage might actually be better. Cage is ridiculous.

SylverRye

Official Loop Kang Main
Thank God Foxy atleast knows that liu can give out good pressure, but crumbles under it as well. S+? I would put him along S or at the VERY least A+ tier. He has very good pressure, very good zoning, but bad pokes and a weak air game (iafb are good on a read). I think tanya,lao,quan,cassie and jax beat him. Hell goro and ferra torr damn near poke infinite him lol. Yes he forces you to block like any other cancel character and even non cancel characters and his pressure is hard to escape when he has stamina. I just hate how people talk, as if he has NO weakness or bad mus lol

SylverRye

Official Loop Kang Main
Sorry for all the posts (new to tym) but also, hes pretty easy to combat on knock down. His ex bicycle kick, ex fly kick and dragons roar (fake ass mid that can be low profiled) can all be low profiled or ducked. Ive literally been knocked down and had people mash d1 or d3 to try and low profile me since none of his wakeups hit mid minus ex fireball with no armor. But those are all weaknesses. Not downplay, i think hes S/A+ for sure. S+? No way

Crathen

Death is my business
Sorry for all the posts (new to tym) but also, hes pretty easy to combat on knock down. His ex bicycle kick, ex fly kick and dragons roar (fake ass mid that can be low profiled) can all be low profiled or ducked. Ive literally been knocked down and had people mash d1 or d3 to try and low profile me since none of his wakeups hit mid minus ex fireball with no armor. But those are all weaknesses. Not downplay, i think hes S/A+ for sure. S+? No way
Only characters w low profiling down pokes can do that , don't act like 90% of the cast has them. Is blocking a LOW POKE bad when you have a 9 frame mid that armor breaks and a 10 frame f2 that goes into guaranteed chip into frametraps? Also everyone that doesn't low profile it has to deal with the Dragon roar / dragon kick guess on knockdowns and both are safe on block , get real.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Only characters w low profiling down pokes can do that , don't act like 90% of the cast has them. Is blocking a LOW POKE bad when you have a 9 frame mid that armor breaks and a 10 frame f2 that goes into guaranteed chip into frametraps? Also everyone that doesn't low profile it has to deal with the Dragon roar / dragon kick guess on knockdowns and both are safe on block , get real.
Don't get hostile. Fun fact, did you know that Quan chi has an easier time getting out of pressure then Liu Kang?

SylverRye

Official Loop Kang Main
The hell are you saying? Almost the whole cast can low profile his db2. EVERYONE can neutral duck his flying kick. So youll use f44 and b2 when? Im talking about the corner. You're probably one of the type that thinks hes "op" and never hits the lab. Didnt say he didnt have options. Im talking about his armor moves genius. Db2 seriously needs to be fixed too btw.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
As usual the U.S. People disagree and downplay other than Zyphox

Not only pressure but this char is one of the best at zoning, it's the zoning that makes this Stunt doubles worst MUthe pressure doesn't help but it's the zoning that make really fucking hard

If everyone was a realist I would bet my house kang has more winning MUs than even

Xaraka is the first to exhibit LK at such a high level nobody in U.S. Yet from what I seen comes close.

We also have Whiteblack and Phas so it's not just Xaraka who are also really good Kang players

I'm sure why he is not so widely accepted as S+ tier in the states because some Kang players think "I'm not playing this char on a consistent high level so it must be the char why I'm losing and not me"

It's the same the with Cage community too

Edit as for Wake ups yeah they are not great but not bad by any means, if they low profile flying kick then boom your free from the corner, not many chars are whiff punishing on reaction as that shit recovers insanely fast

Plus Flamefist fixes his Wake up weakness

Last edited:

SylverRye

Official Loop Kang Main
Don't get hostile. Fun fact, did you know that Quan chi has an easier time getting out of pressure then Liu Kang?
Thats tym, if you dare say the character that people say are broken have weaknesses you get attacked. Im actually having a similar discussion on twitter with footwurk and PL about this and they literally feel the same way. But hey, dont sing the same tune and its either "downplay" or you dont know what you're talking about. I see why top players avoid this site tbh

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
Any character that wins by making their opponent block and technically only needs one string is worthy of S+ tier.

Crathen

Death is my business
The hell are you saying? Almost the whole cast can low profile his db2. EVERYONE can neutral duck his flying kick. So youll use f44 and b2 when? Im talking about the corner. You're probably one of the type that thinks hes "op" and never hits the lab. Didnt say he didnt have options. Im talking about his armor moves genius. Db2 seriously needs to be fixed too btw.
If people mash downpokes that low profile on your wakeup Liu has plenty of options , first off backdash ( and it's good enough backdash not some trash tier backdash ) , second block and counterpoke , third EX dragon kick gets you out of the corner if whiffed and not everyone has an easy time punishing that. What are you suggesting to all the character that can't low profile his wakeup? Duck and wait for him to wakeup dragon kick ? Dragon Roar. Neutral Jump his wakeup? Block or EX dragon kick gets you out. Seriously i've labbed him hella times and you can't deny he has good armor moves , safeish ones at that too.

I guess you're talking about that 6 frame d1 and in some situations i can agree , but you know Kang has a 6 frame launcher w f1 that can interrupt block pressure. Even if people mashed downpokes EX dragon kick will fly him to the other side of the stage and be safe and start zoning again , also EX dragon kick armor breaks hella just in case.I'm not angry lol just saying my 2c on the subject

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
With all due respect to xarakamaka who i think is the best df kang in the world right now i dont understand how you put him at s+. And i know i have only seen the esl play from you at this time and cant wait to see you play him offline but compared to the other s+ characters he seems to me a bit out of place. I mean he has dirt but not like the other s+ boys and girls
What 'dirt' does Kung Lao have?

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Thank God Foxy atleast knows that liu can give out good pressure, but crumbles under it as well. S+? I would put him along S or at the VERY least A+ tier. He has very good pressure, very good zoning, but bad pokes and a weak air game (iafb are good on a read). I think tanya,lao,quan,cassie and jax beat him. Hell goro and ferra torr damn near poke infinite him lol. Yes he forces you to block like any other cancel character and even non cancel characters and his pressure is hard to escape when he has stamina. I just hate how people talk, as if he has NO weakness or bad mus lol
If having bad options against pressure is a reason for considering him not top, then Lao shouldn't be either, in theory spin attempts are more of a bad trade off for the Lao player than their opponent.

But ultimately it doesn't matter, Liu isn't THAT slow that he can't do things, it's not like he doesn't have a 6f normal and a low profile (everything) d3.

His weakness isn't that big of a weakness, especially considering if you can block for a bit, the opponent will always have to give you your turn back, which is usually better offense than the opponent was giving.

SylverRye

Official Loop Kang Main
If having bad options against pressure is a reason for considering him not top, then Lao shouldn't be either, in theory spin attempts are more of a bad trade off for the Lao player than their opponent.

But ultimately it doesn't matter, Liu isn't THAT slow that he can't do things, it's not like he doesn't have a 6f normal and a low profile (everything) d3.

His weakness isn't that big of a weakness, especially considering if you can block for a bit, the opponent will always have to give you your turn back, which is usually better offense than the opponent was giving.
Agreed, though the 6f is a high it does have some good uses now that ive been using it more. Its just funny that because some people dont see him as s+++ tier its downplay even when people say hes a STEP below it (at S). I think lao personally has better tools and better ways around characters and that's what makes him top. A way to get around a lot of situations. His spin is very punishable but it DEMANDS respect for everyone and the fear of that alone can stop a lot of pressure. I'm not saying liu is bad, he just gives out pressure that he can barely handle when its thrown back at him imo

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
What 'dirt' does Kung Lao have?
Quick question: The only time I can't armor through a spinning hat cancel is when?

The only thing stupid about DF is the fact he gets in for free. The threat of the flying kick is the real issue. Once you get out of the pressure, you have to deal with his very good zoning and if you respect it too much he will find an opening for a flying kick which leads to +frames and then all hell breaks loose again. Flying kicks are really the center of the issue - i dont give a fuck about blockstrings.
This pretty much is my major complaint about LK. If he's far away then I'm dealing with Guile level fireballs. I've jumped over them only to see LK walk back and respond with whatever he wants. If you're character doesn't have a forward moving armor or air movement it's a bad time. Then at ANY point he can flying kick just to be in. Which is odd because I thought all fast forward moving specials were supposed to be unsafe in NRS land. Then he initiates his gameplan of making you block to win. Whatever slight issue he has with normals or whatever doesn't matter because all his other tools work perfectly fine.

Lao, Tanya, Jax, quan, shinnok.
Why not Cassie or Johnny Cage? Someone with better mixups or arguably better pressure?

It's funny how sometimes I can't find these trade offs for some characters. But Lui Kang has them and somehow still sneaks his way to the top. Why do you think his reversals are bad?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
If people mash downpokes that low profile on your wakeup Liu has plenty of options , first off backdash ( and it's good enough backdash not some trash tier backdash ) , second block and counterpoke , third EX dragon kick gets you out of the corner if whiffed and not everyone has an easy time punishing that. What are you suggesting to all the character that can't low profile his wakeup? Duck and wait for him to wakeup dragon kick ? Dragon Roar. Neutral Jump his wakeup? Block or EX dragon kick gets you out. Seriously i've labbed him hella times and you can't deny he has good armor moves , safeish ones at that too.

I guess you're talking about that 6 frame d1 and in some situations i can agree , but you know Kang has a 6 frame launcher w f1 that can interrupt block pressure. Even if people mashed downpokes EX dragon kick will fly him to the other side of the stage and be safe and start zoning again , also EX dragon kick armor breaks hella just in case.I'm not angry lol just saying my 2c on the subject
His weaknesses are real though. S+ or S is moot. Cage is probably better anyways and nobody talks about him. Why is that?

Crathen

Death is my business
His weaknesses are real though. S+ or S is moot. Cage is probably better anyways and nobody talks about him. Why is that?
His weaknesses are overshadowed by his zoning , guaranteed blockstring , meterbuilding , good enough armor options is what i'm saying. Cage would probably be as good as Liu if his zoning was on par with his , you can say Cage has better footsies when in f3 range and i somewhat agree but Liu has a slightly better air game , doesn't need to do highs to armor break , has better walkspeed. Like imo Liu Kang literally wins the Cage matchup just because his zoning destroys Cage space control anywhere outside f3 range and gets to pressure with his cancels more than Cage purely because of his control of the pace.

Wigy

There it is...
kang is like 5-8 probably...his issue is exactly what foxy said in the podcast. If you pressure him like he pressures you, liu can't get out.

Liu kangs only weaknesses

Because of these reasons, I see him no better than cage. Cage might actually be better. Cage is ridiculous.
You're entitled to your opinon but i still think its 100% wrong.

Cage may have better mix up and armor but Liu has better zoning, so opponent must come to him, Liu also has better walk speed and damage. I think better zoning, space control and damage are the reasons why Kang is better than Cage