What's new

Lord Raiden General Discussion Thread

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
That’s because Raiden isn’t trash. I think Raiden is one of the most balanced characters in an NRS game we’ve ever seen. He’s so balanced that it hurts him, just a little bit because he doesn’t have any stupid shit.

Yeah, there are a few things I’d like improved - better krushing blow triggers (B2 KB is too reachable, electric fly KB never happens, last hit of storm cell a mid) - but I think he’s pretty much fine as is. Peopel are just whining about him not being dummy good,
I’m not sure if giving him storm cell as a mid would be good. That’s too much I think. I’d rather his lightning strike be less negative on block so I can zone better. He’s most comfortable halfscreen away from his opponent. He can harass with f4, superman cancel, bait whiffs and punish with f11. At least that’s how I’m playing him. Perhaps a buff to his f3 and b12, less negative on block so his staggers get really dangerous. Then he’d have a presence anywhere on the screen. Though I maintain he’s fine for now. We know too little this early on in the game.

f24

Don't F*** with a God
I’m not sure if giving him storm cell as a mid would be good. That’s too much I think. I’d rather his lightning strike be less negative on block so I can zone better. He’s most comfortable halfscreen away from his opponent. He can harass with f4, superman cancel, bait whiffs and punish with f11. At least that’s how I’m playing him. Perhaps a buff to his f3 and b12, less negative on block so his staggers get really dangerous. Then he’d have a presence anywhere on the screen. Though I maintain he’s fine for now. We know too little this early on in the game.
Yeah, I think you’re right actually. It would be nice if lightning strike was better on block. I find myself barely using the bf1 projectile, though.

Mandolore1123

Yeah, I think you’re right actually. It would be nice if lightning strike was better on block. I find myself barely using the bf1 projectile, though.
Bf1 is just a check, deters moves like shadow kick, checks fireballs with the amplified version. I’d like for better frames on f3 and b12. That would probably make him really great. Maybe something like -4 or -5 instead of -6, but what do I know

iAmOME

Worst NRS player
I don't understand why df2 (Lightning Strike) is as negative as it is. It seems ridiculous

f24

Don't F*** with a God
I don't understand why df2 (Lightning Strike) is as negative as it is. It seems ridiculous
In it’s current state lightning strike is basically only worth doing to catch people off guard after a knockdown, or at full screen. The whiff recovery is ridiculous and the move is pretty bad on block. I don’t think I’ve ever used the close variation.

f24

Don't F*** with a God
Our current combo thread sucks and is not organized at all in the OP (see Cassie Cage forum for great example of combo thread) so I think after I graduate university next weekend and let out for summer then I will create a new one with some compiled tech for a more organized feel.

Mandolore1123

In it’s current state lightning strike is basically only worth doing to catch people off guard after a knockdown, or at full screen. The whiff recovery is ridiculous and the move is pretty bad on block. I don’t think I’ve ever used the close variation.
I’d say lightning strike is great at stopping jumps at full screen though. Send mortals crashing back to earth where they belong.

Mandolore1123

Is d4 on hit into f4 a frametrap? Thinking of integrating that more into my game since in theory f4 reaches after d4 hits and d4 has +16 frames of advantage while f4 is 19 frame startup.

Gimmick

Noob
I think that’s the move where you have to block 3 hits in a string to use, because it’s a 4 frame reversal.
I stupidly played Raijin my first 50 matches without knowing this. Is there anywhere in the game that tells you this?

f24

Don't F*** with a God
I stupidly played Raijin my first 50 matches without knowing this. Is there anywhere in the game that tells you this?
The character tutorial tells you, but does it not tel you in the move list? Wouldn’t be surprising since literally all of his brutalities are listed wrong.

f24

Don't F*** with a God
Does anyone ever get the amplified electric fly krushing blow in a real match? I don’t think I’ve made it happen once.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
WHERE IS HIS GIBBERISH????

I just went to the training mode with Raiden for the first time and noticed he doesn't say shit during his electric fly. What the hell is wrong with NRS? Why would they remove that?

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Definitely wouldn't recommend Rajin over Thunder Wave lol but Raiden is not trash, he just requires more skill and patience than some other characters in the game.

Reactions: f24

Mandolore1123

Been a Raiden main since I started playing Mk. Honestly this is the most difficult Raiden has been to play ever for me. His play style is completely different from MK 9 and MKX. There are a few tips I have specifically for the Thunder Wave variation. Use superman cancel to apply pressure. With alot of Raiden's options for mixups being so susceptible to poke out B1,2 is his second fastest opener. The problem is it can be blocked very easily. So B1,2 into superman cancel will usually allow you to apply pressure with F4 and catching alot of foes just pressing buttons.

To assist anyone not able to connect the F4 aafter ex Storm, J3/4. When you do the Jump 3/4 make sure you are delaying the kick. The best way i found to do it, is to wait until Raiden is making his decent and then do the kick and right after the J3/4 you can immediately input the F4 into superman. The way I got used to the timing is to wait until Raidens head on the decent of the jump almost goes past the opponents feet and then kick.

I hope this helps someone.
I'm assuming this does more damage than the deep ji2, ji3~bf3 ender right? How does the combo work on the smaller female hitboxes, especially after b12 since storm cell whiffs on them and puts them much lower to the ground than storm cell off other strings.

youre not alone with that. on my first bunch of matches with raijin i realized that i was basically playing variationless raiden :D but i dug deeper and it was worth it.

f24

Don't F*** with a God
I’m gonna start trying out Raijin soon to see if there’s any matchups where it works better than Thunder Wave. Anyone got cool Raijin tech?

MadPropz101

"I still got it...but not much of it"
Raiden is a solid character, but there are a few things that should be adjusted. What I would do:

B12 -7 on block, second hit also mid
B1 -3 on block
Ex BF3 (Superman) krushing blow changed so it activates after a couple of hits in a combo, like Scorpion's f34.
Combo dmg globally increased by around 3%.

Mandolore1123

Raiden is a solid character, but there are a few things that should be adjusted. What I would do:

B12 -7 on block, second hit also mid
B1 -3 on block
Ex BF3 (Superman) krushing blow changed so it activates after a couple of hits in a combo, like Scorpion's f34.
Combo dmg globally increased by around 3%.
B12 being mid, mid would probably invalidate the existence of B14. I feel that the only reason why it’s here is to check the ducking of the second high hit. I’d love for the strings to be a tad bit safer. Though I’d rather b1 and f3 be made into -3 or -4. B12 can be block confirmed into superman cancel which makes it safer. F32 is safe but you lose your turn. Those plus making lightning strike safer from midscreen to full screen would be perfect. He already has great buttons to play the game. Though the damage buff would be nice too if it won’t make him too OP.

Reactions: f24