What's new

Looking for just a couple of pointers.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I am officially going to start playing shang today and I just have a couple of questions I'm sure you have already seen before but that I would find helpful.

1) What do you guys use to get out of pressure? I know he has great pokes do you just poke out, or is there a better option?

2) Is it better to end combos with an up fireball or soul steal, or is that all dependant on the situation?

3) I sometimes tend to have trouble with using ground fireballs to keep people out is there a good method to use to make it happen easier, or is it all pretty much straight forward?

4) How should I use my normal fireballs?

Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Nice questions :D

1) Good question, and I add : how Shang Tsung can deal with jump kicks ? His up FireBall, can be used as AA ?

2) I think that depend of situation, hum ? Like, you know how to play with the character you gonna morph into ? What about the soul steal bug ? Maybe using soul steal in the last combo of the round ?

3) I think the ground skull that rises right in front of Shang (down, up, 4), is a great defense, hehe ..... seems to be nice to keep adversary from distance

4) the near or medium distance ground skull, following next with a normal fireball, seems nice to create a defense barrier against agressive rushdown. I heard that the Ex normal fireball can bother Kung Lao players a bit, hehe

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
1) Instantenous armor to get out of the pressure if needed (can interrupt strings) or block accordingly and poke back. D3 is really good. Once D3 hits you're at +2 or +3, meaning that your D1 or another D3 will beat anything if time correctly. However, if you D3 your opponent can jump back, so you're better off with a D1 airborne into combo of choice, if you sense they're jumping back. If they aren't and they decide to stay there, then you're better off with F4xxclose ground skull. This creates a 50/50 situation in some sort. A blocked ground skull leaves you at +2 I believe, so you can repeat the cycle from there, forcing them to make mistakes. If they start to poke back, you can take full advantage of this situation by crossing him out instead of blocking and using frame advantage at your disposal. Cross him up and go for 50/50 soul steal. Either B2, SS or F3, SS will do just fine and gets you 20+ unbreakable damage. However, you have to know your opponent's character in order to do this.

2) It not only depends on the situation, but also on your opponent's character. If you know his char, or if you feel comfortable with a quick mirror, if you have the fight lead, or if you prefer to zone him out. For instance, you don't wanna morph into them if you're with the health lead and your zoning or frame traps outplay his'.

3 & 4)Normal fireballs should only be used to stop things like Kabal's nomad dash if you're beaiting it, otherwise there's always a better option if you know your opponent's character. On fullscreen range, you're better off with fUS or an occasional US into fGS. Mix it up, just don't go always US into fGs, or they'll get used to it and advance with ease. Once they aren't in fullscreen anymore and have reached 3/4 of the screen, use Soul Steal. It takes 3f longer than Regular fireskull, but gives pushback (which means you can abuse it since dash blocking feels rather sucky for them), covers a bit of air and on hit gives you the obvious advantage (also leaves them standing, so no need to worry about wakeup attacks). Only reason you shouldn't be using Soul Steal to zone instead of Fireskull is if you don't know your opponent's character.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
1) Instantenous armor to get out of the pressure if needed (can interrupt strings) or block accordingly and poke back. D3 is really good. Once D3 hits you're at +2 or +3, meaning that your D1 or another D3 will beat anything if time correctly. However, if you D3 your opponent can jump back, so you're better off with a D1 airborne into combo of choice, if you sense they're jumping back. If they aren't and they decide to stay there, then you're better off with F4xxclose ground skull. This creates a 50/50 situation in some sort. A blocked ground skull leaves you at +2 I believe, so you can repeat the cycle from there, forcing them to make mistakes. If they start to poke back, you can take full advantage of this situation by crossing him out instead of blocking and using frame advantage at your disposal. Cross him up and go for 50/50 soul steal. Either B2, SS or F3, SS will do just fine and gets you 20+ unbreakable damage. However, you have to know your opponent's character in order to do this.

2) It not only depends on the situation, but also on your opponent's character. If you know his char, or if you feel comfortable with a quick mirror, if you have the fight lead, or if you prefer to zone him out. For instance, you don't wanna morph into them if you're with the health lead and your zoning or frame traps outplay his'.

3 & 4)Normal fireballs should only be used to stop things like Kabal's nomad dash if you're beaiting it, otherwise there's always a better option if you know your opponent's character. On fullscreen range, you're better off with fUS or an occasional US into fGS. Mix it up, just don't go always US into fGs, or they'll get used to it and advance with ease. Once they aren't in fullscreen anymore and have reached 3/4 of the screen, use Soul Steal. It takes 3f longer than Regular fireskull, but gives pushback (which means you can abuse it since dash blocking feels rather sucky for them), covers a bit of air and on hit gives you the obvious advantage (also leaves them standing, so no need to worry about wakeup attacks). Only reason you shouldn't be using Soul Steal to zone instead of Fireskull is if you don't know your opponent's character.
[MENTION=2268]yautjared[/MENTION] thank guys very helpful.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Just in case, Detroit can give you even better tips, if you are lucky and by chance he would see your post ! Cross your fingers !! :D

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I am officially going to start playing shang today and I just have a couple of questions I'm sure you have already seen before but that I would find helpful.

1) What do you guys use to get out of pressure? I know he has great pokes do you just poke out, or is there a better option?

2) Is it better to end combos with an up fireball or soul steal, or is that all dependant on the situation?

3) I sometimes tend to have trouble with using ground fireballs to keep people out is there a good method to use to make it happen easier, or is it all pretty much straight forward?

4) How should I use my normal fireballs?

Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks guys!
1. Down 1 all day long, or EX-Soul Steal.

2. I like to end with up skull, and then fire another up skull to force them into blocking. This way you can start your pressure game or mix ups. End with SS only if you are good with the other character or it will kill your opponent.

3. If you score a knock down, it can be a good idea to first start with an upskull. Once they block it you get a free ground skull under their position. At that point I usually fire off 2 skulls (up, then ground) to keep them from advancing forward. Then go back to up skulls that land on their head, followed by the free ground skull. Straight skulls are good to toss in every now and then.

4. It's all about how they move. Sometimes it takes a round or 2 to figure it out, but eventually you learn where to put the skulls.

Tip: ST has amazing anti air 1

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
1. Down 1 all day long, or EX-Soul Steal.

2. I like to end with up skull, and then fire another up skull to force them into blocking. This way you can start your pressure game or mix ups. End with SS only if you are good with the other character or it will kill your opponent.

3. If you score a knock down, it can be a good idea to first start with an upskull. Once they block it you get a free ground skull under their position. At that point I usually fire off 2 skulls (up, then ground) to keep them from advancing forward. Then go back to up skulls that land on their head, followed by the free ground skull. Straight skulls are good to toss in every now and then.

4. It's all about how they move. Sometimes it takes a round or 2 to figure it out, but eventually you learn where to put the skulls.

Tip: ST has amazing anti air 1
Thanks a lot man, some great info.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
ill input by givin ya a nice corner kombo its 221close gr skull dash uppercut 12 b121 above skull ;)

Sigmar

Ex Mortis
i have a thread set up for just combos it should be on a different page.. with decent pointers.. you SHOULD refer to belials post at the top of the shang forum.. for help too.