What's new

Lobo mains unite!

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
We have an obligation to prove to the community that this character is not ass tier. Some great things have been found over the last week with Lobo and we need to keep it up. This post is intended as a rally for us Lobo mains out there to band together and push this character to his limits.

Keep up the good work guys.

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
I want to main him, but there just isn't enough that he can do against Green Lantern, Superman, and most of the S tier crew. He is an awesome character and deserves to be good, but the execution on his 50/50s (d1 or b1 into czar toss specifically) is too inconsistent and difficult to execute (in my opinion at least- I've sat in practice for pretty long stints trying to get it down and just can't seem to =(... ). When he came out I tried maining him for about 3-4 weeks, got his mixup and BnBs down, and do pretty well with him at times, but he just isn't a finished character, and my group of friends now plays around him with ease.

I don't wanna turn this into a buff thread, but I'll throw these three points out there:

1. Characters like Lobo need to be able to close the gap. Otherwise Aquaman, GL, and Supes ca punish you from across the screen. Grundy is relatively viable, and Walking Corpse is what makes him that way- gives him an option for closing the gap and can be MB for about 20% damage. Lobo's charge needs to be improved similarly, at the very least having armor be applied immediately on a MB and not after the friggin chain animation. The speed of the move will take care of the rest.

2. Trait needs improvement. We talked about this alot in the buff threads, and while the speed up helped, it's still a pretty horendous trait. 5 extra damage isn't much on the grand scheme, considering the effect some of the other traits have. Loading 2 shells would help (it's a double barrel after all...), as well as a host of other ideas.

3. Improve traited low shot. The bounce that we get off this is PITIFUL. I know I'm not the only one that has trouble with the execution of d1/b1 -> czar toss after this (REO dropped him over this... cmon now). By improving the bounce, it improves the damage of his 50/50s (d1/b1 becomes 12 or 113) and makes him exponentially more accessible as a character.

All that being said (I really don't mean to derail your thread!), the only way changes are going to be made is if this community stays active and shows NRS that Lobo still has a solid fan base and that he is worth putting more work into. He is SO close, and is very well thought out in some ways, but needs some fundamental improvements to be truly viable, not just a character that does ok at times because people aren't used to playing against him. I don't think he belongs in ass tier, but there are some key things he needs if he's ever going to have a hope at A+, let alone S. So let's go community. Keep finding new things and keep proposing reasonable changes you think need to be made. Let's show them what the main man can do =P

DesuBlade

Augmented Wallet Squeeze
Lobo is amazing. His combos hardly scale and you can get at least 40% with just a simple MB Toss. The only issues with Lobo is his Low Chain whiffing/needing slightly more range, Charge needs to be a better wake-up, Trait needs to stack, and Back 2 needs to be faster. Other than that, he's good.

Sure he doesn't win a single match-up in the game, but that makes beating the S-Tiers all the more rewarding.

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
I am really liking him. I was originally messing around with him because a friend wanted to main him but didn't have the game. I was just researching him. I gradually started playing less and less of Nightwing. Lobo is good. The only thing anyone can say about him is its "hard for him to get in". You can say that about half the cast. WHEN you get in with him, he has solid pressure, 50/50 mix ups and a command grab that leads to 35+ percent gone. Learn to get it. practice his command grab. It kills me when a player says a character is bad because THEY can't do something. That simply means YOUR Lobo is not very good, not the character. I look to myself for fault first. That helps me grow as a player. Not sure how it is on Standard controls, but I have no problem on Street Fighter controls (and I use a customer made TE stick also).

StevoSuprem0

As soon as he gets some actual representation at tournaments and isn't at the bottom of the tier list, I'll give you that. But since pros suck with him against other pros when they know how to use him, I'm gonna say he needs work, and I think people saying otherwise only works to prevent NRS from realizing it. The Lobo forum being the ghost town that it is, we need to stay vocal about what Lobo needs rather than saying he is good as is and continue letting him circle the drain. He has some solid bones, and is such an awesomely goofy great character concept, but he is lacking in some big ways that keep him from being viable. Don't base this off of how well you do against your friends or online in button input lag land- I do pretty well with him in both those forums, but since Chaosphere is the only person I've seen use him (pretty well I might add), I'm gonna keep pushing for some reasonable buffs that improve him in the ways he needs.

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
That's completely fair. Its just seems like there are more people with a wishlist of what he needs than looking at his current tools. He has solid ways in if you play him smart. This is basically his various ways around projectiles. Nothing else is going to keep him out. Two rolls and he's in your face from full screen. Neutral jump, d+3 gets him over a good amount of zoning from the cast (e has a nice half roll at the end). We keep a mental or written list of the high projectile throwers we can forward dash under and what else do they have to keep him out?
I feel most players are looking for a no brainer, beat all way for him to get in and He's not that type of character. Sure, it's gonna take trial and error, but if we wanted it easy, we'd all be in the Kent forums. Neutral/forward jump, d+3, MB, shoulder charge, forward dash are all unique was for him to close the gap. That doesn't include the basic forward jump, walk and block/duck method every character uses. He has the tools to get in. I'm just a "work with what i got" kinda guy, is all. Respect, sir.

I've been developing tech for the dude non-stop and trying to shut up the sheep that believe one top player's opinion about the character. I've also proven to have gotten in on zoners quite frequently (just watch the archives of Chef's streams with me featured in them), and I have recently put my newly developed tech to work. 52% because you guessed wrong is pretty nice, if you ask me. I'm sticking with this character until he's nerfed into the ground for whatever reason imaginable.

StevoSuprem0

Yeah, I'm not just going off Reo, I'm going off the bulk of the community of this game. He has the potential, just needs some slight fixes. I think one issue for alot of people getting in with him is how slow his jump speed is. Alot of the casts' projectiles will reach you because you get high enough in the air. Really hoping they make some adjustments to him coming soon, I do love this character.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
I think if he just had a solid wakeup attack he'd probably be fine. I would reallllly like mb hook charge's armor to activate on startup so he can get through zoning for a bar of meter. It still wouldn't work against deathstroke, for instance, but I'm perfectly ok with that.

My training partner mains Doomsday and I have the WORST time trying to get up after he knocks me down. I can use shotgun sometimes but only if he doesn't time his followup correctly.

All of that aside, we have what we have. Keep at it guys. I think Lobo is the hypest character in the game which is one of the main reasons I like him so much. The character is also a bad ass in general... so that's cool. His "come at me bro" back walk animation and his idle ass scratch animation is way too cool.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Been exploring his corner game recently, I really like it, I really want to do well with Lobo at CG II this Sunday!

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
Party Crasher solves the floaty jump for me. Once I clear the projectile, d+3 to get grounded quicker. The opponent is recovering from their projectile, so not much danger of retaliation. He has the tools to close the gap, its just he dowsn't have one method that covers every zoning tactic, is all.

StevoSuprem0

I think if he just had a solid wakeup attack he'd probably be fine. I would reallllly like mb hook charge's armor to activate on startup so he can get through zoning for a bar of meter. It still wouldn't work against deathstroke, for instance, but I'm perfectly ok with that.

My training partner mains Doomsday and I have the WORST time trying to get up after he knocks me down. I can use shotgun sometimes but only if he doesn't time his followup correctly.

All of that aside, we have what we have. Keep at it guys. I think Lobo is the hypest character in the game which is one of the main reasons I like him so much. The character is also a bad ass in general... so that's cool. His "come at me bro" back walk animation and his idle ass scratch animation is way too cool.

Completely agree; I don't mean to sound like I'm bitching for buffs all the time, I just think I know where the character stands and want to see him be as viable as he deserves to be. One of my friends also has a pretty solid Doomsday and that matchup is HELL when the pressure is on. I think one big reason he is so hype still is because people never see him, in addition to how hilariously gimmicky he is. MB improvement on the charge would be huge, and any other tweaks they send our way would help bump him up the tier list and be greatly appreciated.

PND_Ketchup, what kind of corner shenanigans are you doing? Mainly mixups and the dive crossup? Or did you find any more combo potential? All I've seen different from mid is that you can land 113 multiple times, which doesn't amount to much. Seems like you do trap them for easier command grabs when they are in the corner, but then you are taking them out of the corner when you use it (albeit for solid damage). Just curious.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Completely agree; I don't mean to sound like I'm bitching for buffs all the time, I just think I know where the character stands and want to see him be as viable as he deserves to be. One of my friends also has a pretty solid Doomsday and that matchup is HELL when the pressure is on. I think one big reason he is so hype still is because people never see him, in addition to how hilariously gimmicky he is. MB improvement on the charge would be huge, and any other tweaks they send our way would help bump him up the tier list and be greatly appreciated.

PND_Ketchup, what kind of corner shenanigans are you doing? Mainly mixups and the dive crossup? Or did you find any more combo potential? All I've seen different from mid is that you can land 113 multiple times, which doesn't amount to much. Seems like you do trap them for easier command grabs when they are in the corner, but then you are taking them out of the corner when you use it (albeit for solid damage). Just curious.
Just as a tip he has combos that throw them back into the corner for good damage.

Party Crasher solves the floaty jump for me. Once I clear the projectile, d+3 to get grounded quicker. The opponent is recovering from their projectile, so not much danger of retaliation. He has the tools to close the gap, its just he dowsn't have one method that covers every zoning tactic, is all.

This is all good, but the recovery of facedive is pretty ass. I've tried avoiding things like a Trident Toss with it, and it'd work, only for me to land straight into Aquaman Forward 2. If there's anything wrong with his Party Crasher attack it's the air-to-air priority on it (this move is like Guy's elbow drop in SFxT) and this whiff recovery. I get that all whiffed jump-ins have bad recovery, but I don't remember any divekick having extremely terrible whiff recovery like Party Crasher. It's a lot better at times to just empty jump over a projectile and try Hook Charging or something.

PND_Ketchup , I'd also like to know some of this corner tech. Whenever I cormer someone, I usually just spam Back12 xx MB Hook Charge and TK facedive/tick throw block-string into huge damage combo ending in Low Space Hook them back in the corner. I really love Stand 3 in the corner as well, pretty much shuts down all options the opponent has. Besides that, his corner game doesn't seem that strong (or maybe I'm somehow downplaying it unintentionally).

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
I just started playing him on a fairly regular basis but he's fun, and he insults people, hard to go wrong there. .

PND_Ketchup

This is all good, but the recovery of facedive is pretty ass. I've tried avoiding things like a Trident Toss with it, and it'd work, only for me to land straight into Aquaman Forward 2. If there's anything wrong with his Party Crasher attack it's the air-to-air priority on it (this move is like Guy's elbow drop in SFxT) and this whiff recovery. I get that all whiffed jump-ins have bad recovery, but I don't remember any divekick having extremely terrible whiff recovery like Party Crasher. It's a lot better at times to just empty jump over a projectile and try Hook Charging or something.

PND_Ketchup , I'd also like to know some of this corner tech. Whenever I cormer someone, I usually just spam Back12 xx MB Hook Charge and TK facedive/tick throw block-string into huge damage combo ending in Low Space Hook them back in the corner. I really love Stand 3 in the corner as well, pretty much shuts down all options the opponent has. Besides that, his corner game doesn't seem that strong (or maybe I'm somehow downplaying it unintentionally).
In the corner, on top of making good reads with the opponents wakeup, F2,1 Low gunshot/F2,1,3 into instant forward roll,neutral jump heavy can be hard to see, on top of standing 3 into low gunshot.

EX Gunshot times nicely for an overhead on the opponents wakeup, F3 also works well timing wise. I'll be testing all this in matches at CG II this weekend, I'll post back results.

StevoSuprem0

In the corner, on top of making good reads with the opponents wakeup, F2,1 Low gunshot/F2,1,3 into instant forward roll,neutral jump heavy can be hard to see, on top of standing 3 into low gunshot.

EX Gunshot times nicely for an overhead on the opponents wakeup, F3 also works well timing wise. I'll be testing all this in matches at CG II this weekend, I'll post back results.

Stupid question: what is CG II and is it on stream? If so, I'll be looking for ya =P

StevoSuprem0

The second Colosseum Games, it may be streams, Follow me on twitter (PNDKetchup) and I'll post a link to the stream if there is one!

I actually don't have a twitter >.> would you mind posting it here? If not, I guess I could always finally make one....... =P

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
This is all good, but the recovery of facedive is pretty ass. I've tried avoiding things like a Trident Toss with it, and it'd work, only for me to land straight into Aquaman Forward 2. If there's anything wrong with his Party Crasher attack it's the air-to-air priority on it (this move is like Guy's elbow drop in SFxT) and this whiff recovery. I get that all whiffed jump-ins have bad recovery, but I don't remember any divekick having extremely terrible whiff recovery like Party Crasher. It's a lot better at times to just empty jump over a projectile and try Hook Charging or something.quote]

From full screen, you should be able to neutral jump, then Party Crash to gain some ground and still not be in range for Waterboy's normals. Closer, I would definitely look for the empty jump options.

giant42

Noob
Hey nice to meet you guys, I've been maining Lobo too. Actually, most of my disconnects are from people not knowing how to escape meaty command throws the first week or so he was released lol. There's nothing like landing a 50+% combo or taking off a bar of life in seconds to make your opponent's asshole clench.

Lobo strongly reminds me of Makoto from SF in terms of movement, attacks, and high-risk high-reward playstyle. So I've been trying to apply that knowledge over and have had a lot of fun playing the main man. I didn't join TYM until recently so I was unaware he was considered 'bottom tier' haha. But in the end, it's just a game and I love playing him. Lobo lives and dies by momentum and getting in that ass, we just have to adapt and work for it.

PND_Ketchup

PND_Ketchup, how'd Colosseum Games go? I couldn't find the stream if there was one -_-
Mustard and I couldn't make it, we got to the train station the Sunday morning, and ALL trains from Norwich to London had been cancelled due to rail disruption.

There was no way we could actually get to London because of it, we were furious. But Foxy won it convincingly.