What's new

Liu Kang Video Critic Thread (Matches)

XBlades

To Achieve, You must Believe
Hey guys, thought I post up a thread about Matches, and see how others would critic in others game play. What we can utilize or substitute within our strategies!! I go to I.E Battlegrounds in Rancho Cucamonga and Hopefully we can get more people out to the MK scene in the Inland Empire of Southern California! BTW critic my Kang, please be gentle LOL!
BTW I start playing in the beginning around Part 2, and get dominated by reptile.. later in the bracket..
MK starts around the end of part 1 and start of Part 2
http://www.justin.tv/temjinalpha/b/290894182

That's a sick ass Liu Kang my friend.
Clever use of Parry, good readings and most off all, you didn't drop big combo oppurtunitys and you played nice to watch.
Nice Game mate,
and i've only watched your first fight against Scorpion.

I'd like to preface this by saying I'm not very good at Mortal Kombat and I have never done anything noteworthy at the game.

Vs BlackHawk

3:55 - Good use of codes to enable the Klassic Music... excellently done.

4:32 - I don't really like this overhead. I mean okay it works, but if BlackHawk had pushed any button at all the overhead would have gotten stuffed, and there were a few buttons he could have hit that would have resulted in a full combo. He's playing defensively to a fault though and maybe you noticed that and that's why you did it? It works a few more times so maybe.

4:47 - I like the anti air jump punch into f12 into b312 here. I didn't actually know that worked.

7:02 - Enhancing the bicycle kicks here gets you like 2% more damage relative to unenhanced bicycle kicks, which isn't really worth a bar of meter. Maybe it's input error or maybe you felt like styling on this guy, but in any case it seemed worth pointing out.

7:46 - This seems like a low percentage flying kick. I don't think there's much BlackHawk could have done that would have lost to it. Honestly I think you're fortunate that all he did was duck it.

Vs Andy

25:55 - Wake up parry right here would have won you this round. Up until this point he hasn't been respecting that option at all so there was no reason not to do it.

26:10 - Gotta be careful with your pressure when your opponent has full meter. That said I don't think getting hit with this X-Ray is so much your fault as much as it is your opponent having really good reflexes to interrupt the f3. Still, if you had used b312 or f12 or something here instead, there wouldn't have been a window for him to interrupt.

27:26 - This breaker is too late in the combo. It only prevented less than 10% damage. After the second force ball in Reptile's bnb it's too late to break, in my opinion (unless of course if the combo is going to kill you).

27:49 - EX flying kick doesn't work against Reptile's force balls. His hitbox gets too low and the kick wiffs, giving him a chance to punish. Against Reptile's zoning you gotta go back to pre 1.02 tactics and just dash block to get in.

28:13 - Kind of a matter of opinion here but I don't really like that you went for this neutral jump punch combo in the corner. Five reps of b312 gets you 37% and while that's not the best possible damage in this situation, it's pretty good, and as I'm fond of saying the best combo is the one you don't drop. Also this is a point where you really needed to land a full combo just to get some momentum going.

29:46 - Okay ignore the stuff I said earlier about Reptile's zoning, I didn't know EX bicycle kicks beats the force ball. I learned something today.

On the whole I thought you played well against Andy. The final score made that set look more one sided than it actually was; you didn't win a round, but there were so many rounds that could have gone either way, and with a handful of guesses going the other way you would have beaten him. I like what you're doing with parries, especially to stuff wakeup attacks, and you're doing a good job mixing up your strings. I'm kind of cherry picking mistakes here but in general terms I like what I'm seeing.

XBlades

@Punisher & Peanut
Thanks guys for the feedback.
@Punisher
lol thanks man i try to play allot of mix ups and mind games.
@peanut
Yeah man, reptile is pretty tough, but little did i know; you can punish his dash once blocked with 213 string... or if you time it right with b+312. As for the whole dash mix ups, i didnt know where the hell reptile would be... but with a little more grinding after i have been defeated... i took some notes down and ready for a little rematch..
as for the Scorpion, i felt he was very defensive. Like you can feel when a player is in a defensive state. Thats why you see allot of parrys on his wake up teleport. As for the Dragon Stance Dash Cancels I do those to mix up my opponents block tempo. Liu kang only have one definite launcher combo and that is b+312, as for the 213 and 12,b+1 those are harder to land. especially since they have to be really up close... note the range on b+3 is pretty far.

How is my kang?? i used him several times during the tournament. Starting at 01:52
http://www.twitch.tv/s1lent1/b/291989846

finals starting at 1:57:00 http://www.twitch.tv/s1lent1/b/291989846
Please critique my scrubby kang
Not bad. What I did notice though was that when ever you do manage to get the Jump Punch in there; make sure to punish them for their mistake.

Other than that, your defense was great. You attacked when the opportunity was there and overall, you played a very smart game.

Good stuff with your Kang

Youtube.com/iebattlegrounds
whoo man you have sick LK... crazy man

just one question: why do you stop with combo in middle of hit confirmed combo ? for example u had your opponents few times: JIP b+3 1 and than u stop with combo and do F+3 or some other D+3 ? is it becouse u had hard time to hit confirm? what is the reall reason to stop there ?!

I think it was once vs Aris, and few times in grand finall.

anyway, one question. How do you manage to juggle b312 so you can hit next b312 while your opponent is very high in the air? I am always watching head of my opponent, and as soon as I see it near the floor, I start with next b312, otherwise I can miss b312.
I am asking this becouse you can link very easly F24 xx Bicycle kick and I can't , becouse my opponent is very close to the ground and yours is very high.

Any help ?

XBlades

@insane j
its pretty simple instead of waiting for your opponent to hit the floor, trying hitting him in mid air, and keep it up. by the 3rd rep of b+312 combo he should be at liu kangs head lvl to do forward dash f+2,4 into bicycle kick.

remember, its the approach that counts, soo if your giving him easy reads, you gotta mix it up with over heads and dragon stance feints to f+3 or low starter again... you gotta explore other strings and frame traps in order to make them block high..

R0bot1cColumbus

Cybernetic Conquistador
i main LK (for now) and i have to say, yours might be the best I've seen. Good work homie, if you ever wanna play some kang vs kang gayness hit me up on XBL @ R0bot1cColumbus.

Holy shit XBlades, I learned something new from your video that boggles my mind...Definitely need to do this on my matches ASAP because that is definitely a ton of free damage I'm currently missing out on:

catching someone in the air with f+12 and following up with the B+312 string... love it. Also love your Liu Kang man, really ****ing solid, pardon my french.

Small tourney, since there was not a big turn out... but heres the tournament videos i went to, will post up time segments of liu kang..
http://www.twitch.tv/iebattlegrounds/b/293644903
Man I feel weird criticing your videos in the video critic thread, because it's pretty clear that you're better at this game than I am, but there are a few things that jumped out at me in your match against Lord Genross' Kung Lao. You were punishing blocked spins with f12, you definitely have enough time to dash up and b312 him. You can't parry the first hit of Kung Lao's b33 string, so I don't really like wake up parry in this matchup; the second hit can be parried, so it worked out for you, I dunno, seems risky to me since the b33 leads to full combos. Also I think parry to bait wake up spin is suboptimal since you can bait it with block then combo and get bigger damage. There's matchups where I like baiting wake ups with parry but this isn't one of them.

lazybird123

Purple Belt in BJJ, White Belt in MK
Hey XBlades, are you going to EGP tonight? I've been using Liu Kang and ever since I've seen your Liu Kang I've been wanting to learn some things from you. Hopefully you're going out there tonight!