What's new

Let's Talk About "Meaty Attacks" in MKX

RoGE

Noob
To those who don't know what a meaty is, it's when you attack the opponent when they wake up and hit them with the last active frame of a move (or the tail end of a fireball). The opponent will wake up when your move is still coming out and still get hit because it's still active for a certain amount of frames.

example of this: www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCapuhsOMcg#t=4m20s

For example, Kung Jin's F4 (his f3 is mostly a better option but just for the sake of explaining this..) is -1 on block and is active for 5 frames, now let's say I knock them down in the corner and I decide to hit them with a F4 and I make sure they get hit with the last active frame. Now if they block it, instead of being -1 on block, now it's plus on block because they still have the same amount of blockstun. If you actually hit with the meaty f4 on the last active frame then you can follow up with a d1 xx db3 in the corner. The only other way to juggle after F4 in the corner is if I hit them with F4 from farther away.

Now obviously if your opponent knows you are going to do a meaty attack they can delay their wakeup (but removing their reversal options in the process.

So how useful do you think meaty attacks will be in MKX? I think without invincible wakeups and the main reversal option being an armor attack there may be some option selects people find out.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Meaty attacks are useful in most fighting games, so logic would tell you they are useful here too.

They aren't as good in the game because of delay wakeup and backdashing being a wakeup attack, but they can still force the opponent to react.

A good example is Dvorah's swarm vortex. If the opponent doesnt delay or EX Wakeup she gets a free combo.

Does anyone know the frames are for delayed wake up? Like how long until your opponent (who is delaying) can initiate a move. I'm trying calculate what my risk are on pressuring certain characters while they're knocked down.

craftycheese

I tried to throw a yo-yo away. It was impossible.
Does anyone know the frames are for delayed wake up? Like how long until your opponent (who is delaying) can initiate a move. I'm trying calculate what my risk are on pressuring certain characters while they're knocked down.
I would like to know this too

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
agreed. Especially since you can remove the gaps in certain strings if you do it meaty. Also you don't need to get a knockdown in order to use a meaty that's just the easiest way to apply it

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
on topic, I think meaty's are still fairly unexplored in MKX. I couldnt believe it when I found out I could get a meaty flame aura on block to jail into 214 pressure.

Am I right in thinking that if you connect a Slide or something in the last active frames, the window on it becomes a smaller punish?

Last edited:

craftycheese

I tried to throw a yo-yo away. It was impossible.
I only found this thread because I googled something along the lines of how long you can stay on the ground for a delayed get up. Led me to the post I quoted.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
on topic, I think meaty's are still fairly unexplored in MKX. I couldnt believe I could get a meaty flame aura on block to jail into 214 aura.

Am I right in thinking that if you connect a Slide or something in the last active frames, the window on it becomes a smaller punish?
In theory this applies to every move. It's just harder to apply with certain moves

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Meaty Lackey roll is probably one of the best meaties in the game when they dont have meter or the health to armor

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

You can check a DWU with scorpion if you s1 after a HKD.