What's new

Learning each character

Do you guys find it beneficial to learn all characters in order to kinda know what to expect at high level play? I'm not talking know them and use them at 100% capacity but kinda know all the tricks and trades to each one and how to use those tricks?

I currently play about 5 characters at about equal strength depending on the week. It is more that I cycle mains than just play them randomly.

NKZero

Noob
Yeah I think it helps. I mean Perfect Legend claimed that he did it in order to know match-ups and stuff like that. It isn't necessary though (unless you play with Shang Tsung). I mean if you want to know how to fight a certain characters you have to know all their offensive capabilities. I get blown up by Jade players and Stryker players because I have no idea what they do lol.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
I think Shady did something like this where he played as everyone for at least 100 wins (tho he still had his mains).

Every character teaches you something! Imagine how amazing your main would be with the skills of Jax, Smoke, Raiden, Noob, Jade, Stryker, Freddy, etc.!

Miss Kanzuki

*KANZUKI GOON SQUAD*
I haven't learned every character but I've played against every character, if that answers your question. I'm hard-headed and stick with playing with Baraka even though he has shitty match-ups against "top-tier" characters. There's an obvious downside to this but then again, I don't fret as much when people do the "hidden select" or try to counter-pick, etc. I try to be ready for anything..

Espio

Kokomo
People should definitely try it, it's been a fun, unique, and beneficial tool to learn the game for me plus if you're undecided about a main, it's a sure fired way to help you make up your mind:).

The only characters I haven't really tried is Sektor, Cyrax, Kung Lao, and Raiden, but I've played so many Kung Laos, Raidens, and Cyrax players that I feel I have those matches down, need to work on Sektor though.

Yeah so basically I play a few diverse characters and I realized when I practice something complex with one I get quite a bit better with another.