What's new

LBSH: Scorpion sucks, but which game was he at his worst?

Matix218

Get over here!
Basically in the games that matter which in my opinion are MK2, UMK3, MK9 and IGAU:

MK2: lower mid tier overall but absolutely worthless in some matchups like Liu Kang. Not a threat in tournament.

UMK3: my knowledge is limited but basically he was human smoke but without a string that launches effectively making him worthless against damaging characters like kabal, human smoke etc. Not a threat in tournament and even if you like scorpion you would just pick human smoke.

Mk9: unsafe but damaging (when you guess right) vortex. Good antiairs into damage/vortex. Bad down 4 (no frames). Glitchy and risky armor moves. Ok pressure. Matches up better against some high tier characters than most of the mid tier IMO. Potentially a threat in tournament with a lucky guesser with the right tournament bracket.

IGAU: post patch absolutely worthless. Best move became unsafe against majority of the cast. Vortex combos do barely any damage. Moves on the ground slower than a snail. Not a threat in a tournament assuming the participants have any offline scorpion experience.

Overall the worst is probably injustice or MK2 as I think they will be the least likely to see in a high level top 8. One of the issues with UMK3 scorp is that human smoke should just have been scorpion and thrre should have just been a robot smoke only. Why does human smoke have scorpions spear and voice anyway lol

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
Scorpion had a chance before MK9 was officially released but NRS destroyed him by making his so shitty.
In MK9 Scorpion has five major flaws:
1. Forward 4,3 should have be linkable into a spear, but isn't.
2. Teleport startup time is way to slow and allows characters to poke him right out of it with projectiles or low normals.
3. Hellfire is too telegraphic and has a slow startup time.
4. No good high-low mixup pressure combo options and his normals are to slow (for a Scorpionic fast ninja).
5. He has no diagonal spear for catching an opponent in mid air, which he should have, like Batman's Air Grapple gun.

Now in MKX they will probably give him all the tools to be godlike at launch or in the demo version of the game, but then NRS will nerf him to high hell during the first 6 months of the game's official release. Count on it. NRS always comes through with screwing up their beloved poster boy character. My hopes now lie on Noob Saibot, Ermac and Reptile.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Basically in the games that matter which in my opinion are MK2, UMK3, MK9 and IGAU:

MK2: lower mid tier overall but absolutely worthless in some matchups like Liu Kang. Not a threat in tournament.

UMK3: my knowledge is limited but basically he was human smoke but without a string that launches effectively making him worthless against damaging characters like kabal, human smoke etc. Not a threat in tournament and even if you like scorpion you would just pick human smoke.

Mk9: unsafe but damaging (when you guess right) vortex. Good antiairs into damage/vortex. Bad down 4 (no frames). Glitchy and risky armor moves. Ok pressure. Matches up better against some high tier characters than most of the mid tier IMO. Potentially a threat in tournament with a lucky guesser with the right tournament bracket.

IGAU: post patch absolutely worthless. Best move became unsafe against majority of the cast. Vortex combos do barely any damage. Moves on the ground slower than a snail. Not a threat in a tournament assuming the participants have any offline scorpion experience.

Overall the worst is probably injustice or MK2 as I think they will be the least likely to see in a high level top 8. One of the issues with UMK3 scorp is that human smoke should just have been scorpion and thrre should have just been a robot smoke only. Why does human smoke have scorpions spear and voice anyway lol
I'd say this is a pretty solid and well thought out assessment except for MK2 Scorp. Cage getting mauled by Kenshi doesn't mean Cage is bad in MK9. Maybe that's not an entirely relevant example but even with that, there's no way he's potentially as bad as IGAU Scorp lol.

LMAO

@STRYKIE hi there. Long time no see. I miss Torres, man.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL
Just keep signing strikers with no association with the #9 shirt and you're good. I hear Heskey is out of contract next year :DOGE

coolwhip

Noob
5. He has no diagonal spear for catching an opponent in mid air, which he should have, like Batman's Air Grapple gun.
While I'm 99% sure you're a troll account, the above is false. Scorpion's spear in MK9 did anti-air, and way better than Batman's straight grapple.

Matix218

Get over here!
I'd say this is a pretty solid and well thought out assessment except for MK2 Scorp. Cage getting mauled by Kenshi doesn't mean Cage is bad in MK9. Maybe that's not an entirely relevant example but even with that, there's no way he's potentially as bad as IGAU Scorp lol.
As far as MK2 im going off of what ive seen and read. I actually just started attempting to learn to play high level mk2 So I am interested to hear your thoughts on mk2 scorp if you want to share! ^_^

Matix218

Get over here!
While I'm 99% sure you're a troll account, the above is false. Scorpion's spear in MK9 did anti-air, and way better than Batman's straight grapple.
Yeah true plus if you are wanting a good anti air move at jump distance he already has d1 or standing 2 which lead to a combo into spear/vortex. A vertical dedicated AA spear move would have been dumb.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
As far as MK2 im going off of what ive seen and read. I actually just started attempting to learn to play high level mk2 So I am interested to hear your thoughts on mk2 scorp if you want to share! ^_^
Nah I'd say your opinion of MK2 Scorp is pretty accurate. I just don't think you can compare 1 horrendous matchup to countless bad matchups, in IGAU's Scorp's case.

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
Now everyone knows how much of an ignoramous you are for even saying that. lol Btw, DIAGONAL means inclined either upward or downward not straight.

Matix218

Get over here!
Nah I'd say your opinion of MK2 Scorp is pretty accurate. I just don't think you can compare 1 horrendous matchup to countless bad matchups, in IGAU's Scorp's case.
True... but there are so many less characters in mk2 I thought it almost evens out percentage wise lol

I get what you are saying though

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
i never played any of the other MK games outside of MK9 and MKvsDC but I think Scorpion had great pressure options in MKvsDC, better hellfire, better teleporting, better everything pretty much.

Matix218

Get over here!
Now everyone knows how much of an ignoramous you are for even saying that. lol Btw, DIAGONAL means inclined either upward or downward not straight.
Yeah but how would a dedicated diagonal AA only spear have helped the character when he already had awesome anti airs that lead to full combo/vortex. Anti air options were the least of his problems in mk9.

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
Yeah but how would a dedicated diagonal AA only spear have helped the character when he already had awesome anti airs that lead to full combo/vortex. Anti air options were the least of his problems in mk9.
Well i think it would have helped in the sense of giving him more options to use. Sindel would be a great example of the good an ex diagonal spear would have been when she is firing projectiles from the top corner screen. With Injustice, Batman has the diagonal air grapple gun, diagonal air batarangs, bats aside from the striaght grapple gun and batarangs, all of which allow him to counter many moves and air attacks. Scorpion in MK9 had none of that, just a straight spear that has long recover time. Batman also has complete 3 hit high-low mixup combos that either lead to a combo luanch or a hard knock down. In MK9 Scorpion had incomplete moves that where useless like his foward 4,3 and his foward 3, and hellfire that doesn't even allow to be used as a combo launcher.

Last edited:

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
Seems like NRS did give MKX Scorpion a diagonal spear attack, but at the wrong time! They gave it to him as part of his x-ray move and not as a regular special. Great going NRS!...not.

Matix218

Get over here!
Well i think it would have helped in the sense of giving him more options to use. Sindel would be a great example of the good an ex diagonal spear would have been when she is firing projectiles from the top corner screen. With Injustice, Batman has the diagonal air grapple gun, diagonal air batarangs, bats aside from the striaght grapple gun and batarangs, all of which allow him to counter many moves and air attacks. Scorpion in MK9 had none of that, just a straight spear that has long recover time. Batman also has complete 3 hit high-low mixup combos that either lead to a combo luanch or a hard knock down. In MK9 Scorpion had incomplete moves that where useless like his foward 4,3 and his foward 3, and hellfire that doesn't even allow to be used as a combo launcher.
I do agree with you that (outside of Slips's void setups) f43 was useless. As was f3 for the most part. A safe downward diagonal airborne spear move could have had some potential use.

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
I do agree with you that (outside of Slips's void setups) f43 was useless. As was f3 for the most part. A safe downward diagonal airborne spear move could have had some potential use.
Well yes, but now your are talking about a properly made Scorpion that only exists in our dreams but NRS will never make.

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
@ Matix218, I don't know. I just don't get it. I think the staff at NRS and the person who creates the Scorpion character move list has some deep secret hatred for Scorpion being Ed Boon's favorite beloved character. Maybe that person who creates Scorpion purposely makes him a weak character out of spite. Because to me, Scorpion should always be a top tier character but never is. Scorpion should be a winning character at tournaments so as to represent the company's logo character. I just don't understand.

Matix218

Get over here!
@ Matix218, I don't know. I just don't get it. I think the staff at NRS and the person who creates the Scorpion character move list has some deep secret hatred for Scorpion being Ed Boon's favorite beloved character. Maybe that person who creates Scorpion purposely makes him a weak character out of spite. Because to me, Scorpion should always be a top tier character but never is. Scorpion should be a winning character at tournaments so as to represent the company's logo character. I just don't understand.
Its true, well at least in the games that get played in tournaments. I hear he was top tier in the 3d games like deadly alliance and I think deception as well but no one played those games in any sort of tournament scene so it was basically worthless.

I love scorp and I play him as one of my alts in MK9 but it is true that the character had glaring design issues. Its weird because in injustice Slips was actually a tester for the game and scorpion ended up being really good....until people freaked out about him "breaking the rules of the game" and for some reason nrs catered to the whiners. Hopefully in MKX one of his variations will be a high tier character without so many holes as his previous versions

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
Its true, well at least in the games that get played in tournaments. I hear he was top tier in the 3d games like deadly alliance and I think deception as well but no one played those games in any sort of tournament scene so it was basically worthless.

I love scorp and I play him as one of my alts in MK9 but it is true that the character had glaring design issues. Its weird because in injustice Slips was actually a tester for the game and scorpion ended up being really good....until people freaked out about him "breaking the rules of the game" and for some reason nrs catered to the whiners. Hopefully in MKX one of his variations will be a high tier character without so many holes as his previous versions
We'll have to just wait and see. It would be totally nice to have a female Shirai Ryu as a new character. But that's another dream lol.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face

Just keep signing strikers with no association with the #9 shirt and you're good. I hear Heskey is out of contract next year :DOGE
LMAO is Heskey still alive?!

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
The good guys and girls of TYM:

Now, let me start off by saying that Scorpion is a boss of a character. Great design, great voice, really cool (but now pretty unoriginal) storyline, and a rivalry with Sub Zero that is iconic in Video Games today.

BUT!!!

The MK Poster Boy and all time favorite of Ed Boon is actually pretty awful in most of his competitive games!

He isn't bad in all games, but a lot of them.

MK9 - "Better not block my unsafe 50/50 or I'll punish you for 30%, but guess right and either drain all my meter from breaker or kill me with 80%+ combos and dash cancelling! Don't even try to armor out of anything, because my slide will shoot through your character model, or My two spears will shoot over your D3 and it may take some of your hair off!"

Injustice: Pre Patch - "Cool! I have my vortex back!"

Post Patch - "Well, I still have my vortex at least, be prepared to lose by guessing wrong 20 million times, because my whopping 20% combos will chip away at you and be super duper annoying. Just please don't pick anyone decent, because your MB Eye lazer in trait does more than my midscreen B&B. My J3 can work sometimes too!"

UMK3 - "I am Human Smoke in a wheelchair. Why does he have all my moves?"

Now we all know he isn't that great in the main games (besides the 3d era when he was pretty damn good.) But in your opinion, which version is truly the bottom of the barrel?

He struggled in MK9, and was nerfed to the ground by popular demand in Injustice, I thought it would be an interesting discussion to see what everyone thinks of this super badass hellfire Ninja that is probably way too shitty considering who he is.

Lets not have this turn into a trollbait argument fest though, lets keep it civil.

Go!

Scorp was definitely Top Tier in MKA

but I get your point. For the most part the "RYU" of Mortal Kombat should probably always be Top to Mid tier at worst and that is not always the case with Scorpy-poo

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
I agree with this. Outside of Liu Kang and Kung Lao, Scorp did fine in most matchups in MK2. He's one of the most annoying characters to fight cause his runaway is good. MK2 is a super turtle based game, and Scorpion is designed to be a huge turtle;

-You can't jump at him because of his roundhouse
-You can't zone him because of tp
-He's a top tier punisher for blocking and anticipating special moves and jumps that close the gap
-tp is a great mobility move to get away and for hit and run chip.

So if he gets the life lead, your in for a long, annoying fight.