What's new

Question Lack of Brutalities & Fatalities killing the hype?

Are players killing the hype by ending matches before brutalities/fatalities?

• Yes

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • No

Votes: 27 41.5%
  • They should be made to let the match finish

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • You shouldn't force them to watch themselves receiving a brutality/fatality

Votes: 15 23.1%

• Total voters
There is a growing trend of players restarting the match or disconnecting their controllers before a match has finished/a brutality/a fatality; do you think this kills the hype somewhat at tournaments?

E

Eldriken

The person on the losing end shouldn't be forced to watch it. It could cause a shift in their momentum, y'know? Some folks like to go right back to it the second they lose as to not lose any momentum that they may have. Having to sit through an additional 5+ seconds of stuff could cause you to lose it. I know that seems like a trivial amount of time for it to kill your momentum, but every second matters to some folks.

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf
You kidding? We've had two match extendeds in the last day, the game is still pretty hype.
I feel like those two things were the only things that actually brought hype:/ aside from a few upsets (Rye and Illusions making it far was cool)

D. R.

Noob
Have you seen the other match videos in the CEO thread? There were some pretty hype matches.
That's because of character diversity at that point and match ups. The lack of hype was apparent for top 16 though. Literally no one seemed to care. This game is not hype once it trickles down to the braindead top tiers flipping coins at each other. Lots of heads in our community started watching Smash over this. I don't see top 8 being any different.

Great job NRS.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
That's because of character diversity at that point and match ups. The lack of hype was apparent for top 16 though. Literally no one seemed to care. This game is not hype once it trickles down to the braindead top tiers flipping coins at each other. Lots of heads in our community started watching Smash over this. I don't see top 8 being any different.

Great job NRS.
I mean Shinnok vs Shinnok and Shaolin vs Ermac isn't necessarily any better but it was still hype. Even Shinnok vs Alien was hype because of what happened in the matches, not because of the characters.

Noob
No, Alien and Mileena are, well for me. They are so boring. Anytime Foxy is up I just sigh and go play runescape until it's over lol cuz it's so fucking boring, nothing against Foxy it's just the character.

Same with Sonic fox, he is my fav and I'm always rooting for him but when he picks Alien I'm always wishing he loses 2 sets just so he will bring out Erron Mop :DOGE

There all playing for money so can't really hate em for picking lame characters, I'd do the same lol.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Its not the fact that they are skipping the brutal or fatal, its the fact that they are so salty they pause and restart before the match is even over. I saw someone yesterday at ceo quit after someone blocked theyre unsafe move when they had 10% health left BEFORE he even punished, and with how often people dont punish and the retarded blockstun in this game, its its possible he wouldnt have even made the punish or dropped it lol. I really dont see this in any other game, I think MKX just brings out the worst in some people

E

Eldriken

Great job NRS.
This is a damn good point. It's horrifyingly true as well. Once we get to Top 16, it's usually the same shit as the tournaments before it. Top 8 makes it even worse.

However, there are times that we've been surprised by certain outcomes. But if all of Top 16 is riddled with Mileena, Takeda, Alien and all that, you can damn near guarantee Top 8 will be the same.

I have willingly skipped over plenty of Top 8s lately because I didn't want to have to watch the aforementioned characters AGAIN.

big j gleez

Mains: Not Sure Right Now ...
As far as tournament players go, we have seen fatlaities thousands of times and none of us really care. I agree with this.

As far as casuals and growth of the community I think it may be important.

"Many people ask, Why no fatalties? Why do they keep rage quitting?"

"Others comment this is dumb they keep quitting before the fatalties."

You have to remember casuals are the future tournament players and ultimately lead to growth for the community. This relates to not only numbers in attendance but viewers as well. To encourage growth this may be important, especially when many new to MKX come into streams to see these specific things.

In the end it may not matter, but it might.

E

Eldriken

As far as tournament players go, we have seen fatlaities thousands of times and none of us really care. I agree with this.

As far as casuals and growth of the community I think it may be important.

"Many people ask, Why no fatalties? Why do they keep rage quitting?"

"Others comment this is dumb they keep quitting before the fatalties."

You have to remember casuals are the future tournament players and ultimately lead to growth for the community. This relates to not only numbers in attendance but viewers as well. To encourage growth this may be important, especially when many new to MKX come into streams to see these specific things.

In the end it may not matter, but it might.
Casuals are potential tournament players for sure. However, the ones who complain about a lack of Fatalities/Brutalities and people "quitting" before the match is over (all of their health is clearly gone) probably aren't gonna be tournament players.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
Agree with the above, If its the final match for the set, let it happen, but if not, quick restart is the way to go, Tournaments are on schedule and fatalities use a lot of time.

I think the hype is just dying because we keep seeing the same top players with the same top characters, which isn't bad, there definitely is some variety, until finals, where you've seen it all before. Could just be caused by the smaller community of players who play it seriously.

Shadow316

You inspire no fear.
Doing a fatal after a set is usually pointless, the streamer usually cuts away from the game and the players are going through menus to disconnect their controllers anyway so you probably won't even see it.

I personally don't care whether they do them or not.

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf
Have you seen the other match videos in the CEO thread? There were some pretty hype matches.
I'll have to back and look, but I have a sneaking suspicion that top 8 is gonna be a huge buzzkill. Unless you enjoy watching Alien fight Mileena with some Sonya mixed in there somewhere. I want Wound to do well but I think that he and Slayer will just get knocked out.

The person on the losing end shouldn't be forced to watch it. It could cause a shift in their momentum, y'know? Some folks like to go right back to it the second they lose as to not lose any momentum that they may have. Having to sit through an additional 5+ seconds of stuff could cause you to lose it. I know that seems like a trivial amount of time for it to kill your momentum, but every second matters to some folks.
But they won't have momentum as only the loser can restart.