What's new

General/Other - Kung Lao Kung Lao General Discussion

Tweedy

Noob
Johnny Cage wishes he had that jump arc.
I don't feel like Lao's jump is too relevant on this game anymore. It'd be much better to have great walk speed.

Like sure, it's better than Cage's or Kano's, but you're probably going to lose air to airs vs Alien, Sonya, Shinnok, Quan, Jin, Scorpion, Kotal, etc. I'd much rather have good walk speed and a slightly better backdash to play the neutral with. His teleport is also garbage still, so he's basically a mobility character that isn't mobile. Straight grandpa status.

Tweedy

Noob
I still think Lao has some okay matches vs good characters.

I like him versus Liu Kang, Kung Jin, Sonya, somewhat vs Alien, Reptile, Kotal.

A List Cage, Jax and Piercing Mileena are just horrible at this point I think. Crystalline Tremor too but he's not a common character. Kitana sucks too but I don't think it's as bad as the others I mentioned.

Ermac feels absolutely horrible but I haven't grinded the match as much as I need to. New Mystic especially feels omg breh wtf.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I still think Lao has some okay matches vs good characters.

I like him versus Liu Kang, Kung Jin, Sonya, somewhat vs Alien, Reptile, Kotal.

A List Cage, Jax and Piercing Mileena are just horrible at this point I think. Crystalline Tremor too but he's not a common character. Kitana sucks too but I don't think it's as bad as the others I mentioned.

Ermac feels absolutely horrible but I haven't grinded the match as much as I need to. New Mystic especially feels omg breh wtf.
You mean just Tempest right? Tempest doesn't do too badly against Ermac, at least Spectral since he has the ex spin to go through the flight string for a full combo. Mystic and MoS are more difficult though.

Tweedy

Noob
Wht do you think Mileena is horrible? I don't think it's that bad.
You have to go in, standing 2 is better than standing 1, B1 is way better than F2. She anti airs him, has no reason to jump, low profiles all of his stuff with D3 and roll, even B3. She breaks ex spin off of 21u4, has faster pokes up close.

Just overall outclasses Lao imo.

ZOMBIE

SoCal Player/ Member of EXiLE
You have to go in, standing 2 is better than standing 1, B1 is way better than F2. She anti airs him, has no reason to jump, low profiles all of his stuff with D3 and roll, even B3. She breaks ex spin off of 21u4, has faster pokes up close.

Just overall outclasses Lao imo.
lol I'm thinking about making a make lao great again thread lol but then ill probably get banned instantly

Tweedy

Noob
lol I'm thinking about making a make lao great again thread lol but then ill probably get banned instantly
I would say make it, but if a bunch of characters get nerfed, IMO he only needs a few buffs.

I respect Eddy Wang's opinion but I still think that getting a standing 1 with a bit more reach would be awesome.

A problem I have with Lao is that all of his good neutral buttons that combo, like standing 1 and forward 2, all have a 1 in the string that follow. If you whiff standing 2 cancelled into roll with Mileena, or B1 cancelled into roll? You get dick, because there's no 4 that comes after those buttons. She just whiffs those buttons.

Lao whiffs F21 if you whiff F2, whiffs 11 if you whiff standing 1. It sucks. Another thing is Alien's standing 2. I can cancel it into rekkas and get nothing.

This is a flaw that is not present in Street Fighter V. All characters can whiff, cancel into a special, and have just that normal come out. This system with the strings and what not, has just randomly dicked Kung Lao. It sucks.

Give Lao Mileena's standing 2 2016 MLG.

Tweedy

Noob
There are just so many little things about Lao that are nauseating.

When I throw out B1 xx ball roll from mid range with Mileena, if I whiff, just B1 comes out. If I throw out F2 into spin or hat spin with Lao and I whiff, F21 comes out. Lao is just randomly fucked over by the way that strings work in this game.

The random gap in 112124, no real mix ups, F4 being so unsafe, 8 frame or slower buttons, having top end walk speed that's slower than Goro, dive kick being randomly hard to convert off of depending on where you land it, all kinds of problems with teleport.

This character is just such a mess.

Look at his staggers. What is to be respected after F2? The reason Mileena's B1 gets respect, is because of B12. F2 hat has a gap, F23 has a gap, F21 is trash in comparison to B12. F21 hat, like 112124 hat, doesn't even work on males midscreen. Mileena also has a 3 hit string that's +2 on all parts. Lao has a string that's +1 on two parts, is abnormally difficult to do in the first place, whiffs even tho it's not supposed to at the end of it. She also has a 6 frame button to frame trap people with. Lao doesn't even have frame traps anymore.

If you play Lao, drop him for Mileena. She's the same archetype and does everything better. Sure, spin is faster than EX roll. EX roll hits multiple times, though. It's really not that big of a deal, going from EX spin to EX roll, especially when normal roll actually anti airs, unlike normal spin.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
There are just so many little things about Lao that are nauseating.

When I throw out B1 xx ball roll from mid range with Mileena, if I whiff, just B1 comes out. If I throw out F2 into spin or hat spin with Lao and I whiff, F21 comes out. Lao is just randomly fucked over by the way that strings work in this game.

The random gap in 112124, no real mix ups, F4 being so unsafe, 8 frame or slower buttons, having top end walk speed that's slower than Goro, dive kick being randomly hard to convert off of depending on where you land it, all kinds of problems with teleport.

This character is just such a mess.

Look at his staggers. What is to be respected after F2? The reason Mileena's B1 gets respect, is because of B12. F2 hat has a gap, F23 has a gap, F21 is trash in comparison to B12. F21 hat, like 112124 hat, doesn't even work on males midscreen. Mileena also has a 3 hit string that's +2 on all parts. Lao has a string that's +1 on two parts, is abnormally difficult to do in the first place, whiffs even tho it's not supposed to at the end of it. She also has a 6 frame button to frame trap people with. Lao doesn't even have frame traps anymore.

If you play Lao, drop him for Mileena. She's the same archetype and does everything better. Sure, spin is faster than EX roll. EX roll hits multiple times, though. It's really not that big of a deal, going from EX spin to EX roll, especially when normal roll actually anti airs, unlike normal spin.
Pretty much, I mean look at Foxy, he did that

Tweedy

Noob
Pretty much, I mean look at Foxy, he did that
Kevo as well.

Another thing is that Mileena gets 35% meterless with pretty easy combos. Lao requires a 3 frame link to do so. It goes back to 112124 vs 123. Mileena is better off AND her stuff is easier.

CrazyFingers

Kevo as well.

Another thing is that Mileena gets 35% meterless with pretty easy combos. Lao requires a 3 frame link to do so. It goes back to 112124 vs 123. Mileena is better off AND her stuff is easier.
Pretty obnoxious that they basically just transplanted Lao stuff from him and injected it into Mileena for less than half the skill. :/

myri

Time Warrior
Yeah but Lao has his cool looking hat and he's super cocky which I love for some reason. Restore Kung Lao to his former glory NRS!

myri

Time Warrior
Somehow I am magically hitting that 3 frame link from b2 hat spin into the 44 today. Feels pretty easy actually which is weird.

Tweedy

Noob
I've been messing around with doing orbiting hat into NJK, into B3, as pressure.

A deep NJK is actually plus enough to jail a D4.

CrazyFingers

Or just after a 21 knockdown in the corner. Doesn't matter.
So on knockdown Deep NJK as a meaty is plus enough to jail into D4? Doesn't that mean it would be plus enough to jail into basically every other decent speed button like S1?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
So on knockdown Deep NJK as a meaty is plus enough to jail into D4? Doesn't that mean it would be plus enough to jail into basically every other decent speed button like S1?
if its over +9 then its possible to jail s1 indeed. Otherwise d1 mashing will still beat out standing 1 but not B3 tho.

Tweedy

Noob
I tried F2 for like 5 minutes and couldn't get it.

I'll go try S1 now.

Edit: It jails but depending on the height of the NJK you might get too much push back.