What's new

Krushing Blows & Understanding how they work and how to set them (please help me understand)

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
So to a noob Krushing Blows seems completely random but I was told you can set your krushing blow to whatever move you wish? This may be in the tutorials but I've rather ask a fellow player.

Can anyone explain to me how they work? Keep in mind this is a Question/Answer thread where replies can be voted on.

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
Moves that can Krushing Blow are set in stone with requirements to trigger them varying depending on the move. Some examples are: everyone has a Krushing Blow from d2 if it hits as a counter hit (i.e; you duck a high or throw and d2). Almost everyone has a string that triggers a Krushing Blow if it hits as a counter hit. Then you’ve got ones with very specific requirements like Kitana’s “sai toss” from her sai stace must land three times then the next time you use the “sai stab” from her stance, it will activate (and launch the opponent). Or ones like Jade where you must land a shadow kick twice (three times?) in a row.

Some things to note: You can only trigger Krushing Blows once per match, not per round (just like Fatal Blows). You can also set your controls so that you must hold the button in order to activate a Krushing Blow (this allows you to “save” them for following rounds if the opponent is low on health).

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Moves that can Krushing Blow are set in stone with requirements to trigger them varying depending on the move. Some examples are: everyone has a Krushing Blow from d2 if it hits as a counter hit (i.e; you duck a high or throw and d2). Almost everyone has a string that triggers a Krushing Blow if it hits as a counter hit. Then you’ve got ones with very specific requirements like Kitana’s “sai toss” from her sai stace must land three times then the next time you use the “sai stab” from her stance, it will activate (and launch the opponent). Or ones like Jade where you must land a shadow kick twice (three times?) in a row.

Some things to note: You can only trigger Krushing Blows once per match, not per round (just like Fatal Blows). You can also set your controls so that you must hold the button in order to activate a Krushing Blow (this allows you to “save” them for following rounds if the opponent is low on health).
Thank you! I play Kollector and the only KB's I've noticed he has is D2 (uppercut to counter) and his throw when he hits you with his lamp. I guess that means I grabbed as my counter? With that said, does he only have two KB's?

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Thank you! I play Kollector and the only KB's I've noticed he has is D2 (uppercut to counter) and his throw when he hits you with his lamp. I guess that means I grabbed as my counter? With that said, does he only have two KB's?
Hey STORMS long time no see. If you open the move list you can check in the description of each move which can KB and which dont.

Also a small tip in case you dont know. You can change in the control options if you want to use the KB from a move or string by holding down the button of the move (for example Shao Kahn's annihilation hammer move which is done by pressing db3 during his hammer dmg buff. If you want to KB your opponent with that move you need to hold down 3 after the move connects. If you dont hold down the appropriate button the KB wont come out.)

That control option really comes in handy if you want to save your KB for later. The only exception for this IIRC is uppercuts.

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
I’ve not tried out Kollector yet but it’s very likely that his throw Krushing Blow is triggered when the opponent tries to tech it but guesses wrong. Many characters have that.

As for how many he has, what said Jhonnykiller45 said.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
So to a noob Krushing Blows seems completely random but I was told you can set your krushing blow to whatever move you wish?
You cannot. At least not in tournament mode. The only thing you can set is "krushing blows held check", which requires the button to be held to activate the krushing blow manually. This options is available in "controls".

Can anyone explain to me how they work? Keep in mind this is a Question/Answer thread where replies can be voted on.
Each krushing blow requirement is listed in the move list under "move data". For example, if you check out the move data on Erron Black's f+4, you will see a note that reads "KRUSHING BLOW: Triggers if opponent is hit by this move TWICE in a row". In other words, if you hit f+4 once, nothing happens. If you hit again, a krushing blow happens.

Universal krushing blows include d+2 (triggers if d+2 counters or punishes a high attack) and back throw (triggers if opponent failed a throw escape during the previous throw).

Some krushing blows are inherently superior to others as their requirements are more useful and practical.

The thing I've noticed about KBs is that they seem very inconsistent across the characters. You have some, like Scorpion and Kabal, where the KBs are tied nicely into their play styles and you can get them fairly consistently by doing the things which you are going to be doing anyways, like punishing people and doing longer combo strings. Then there are others like Jade where you just have some gimmicky KBs where you need to deliberately break out of your play style and do something stupid, like two shadow kicks in a row, in order to get them.

Given the amount of damage that they do, this seems to kind of put certain characters on a completely different tier than others just due to this.