Votes: 139 34.3%
  • Blood God

Votes: 61 15.1%
  • All Equally

Votes: 35 8.6%

• Total voters

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Let's discuss the one true Kahn of Outworld, the last son of Osh-Tekk, the mean green fighting machine, Kotal "He's actually not that bad, he just looks super evil" Kahn.

Kotal Kahn said:
"Up the stair path...
To the fire's edge...
I pray the sky...

TO SCORCH THE LAND!"
---

Universal special moves:
-Blood Offering: Gain a temporary damage buff at the expense of your own health(-10%).
-Sunstone: A large, slow, high damage projectile. Changed to Sword Toss in War God.
-God Ray: Summon a pilar of light that damages enemies and heals you. (adjustable range)
-Air Takedown: An anti-air grab that pops up when you use meter.
-Mace Parry: A quick parry that interrupts attacks and gives Kotal a 20-25% damage buff. Not usable in the War God variation.

Variations

Sun God: The Kahn of Outworld can toss his enemies around like nothing in this variation with the Sun God Choke. He can also recover a considerable amount of health or meter with his Soul Scorch, and power up his grab on the fly with Soul Spark.

Moves:
-Sun God Choke: an unblockable command grab that can stack on top of itself three times.
-Soul Scorch: Kotal uses his command grab stacks to give himself meter. using meter during this move will instead give Kotal health.
-Soul Spark: Kotal beams with energy as he gains a stack of Sun for his other specials.

-

Blood God: This variation is all about buffs. Kotal gains access to defense, meter, and health buffs with this toolset.

Moves:
-Crystal Totem: This total gives Kotal a 20-25% damage increase while it is active.
-Obsidian Totem: This decreases Kotal's damage takes by 20% and also increased his meter when he blocks attacks or is hit.
-Blood Totem: When active landing attacks will fill the totem with the blood of your enemy! After a few seconds the totem's stored energy is sent to Kotal. It shatters if Kotal is hit.

-

War God: Kotal carries with him his signature weapon, an intimidatingly large macuahuitl. The weapon grants Kotal a mean of attacking from all angles and with considerable range. All of his macuahuitl strikes gain a hit of armor when EX'd.

Moves:
-Saw Blade: Kotal swings downward for a damaging mid hit that cleaves the opponent.
-Overhead Sword Strike: Kotal does a far reaching overhead chop with his weapon that can also hit aerial opponents. Hit's twice when EX'd.
-Sword Sweep: Kotal does a far reaching low sweep with his weapon.
-Sword Toss: Kotal chucks his macuahuitl for a slow but damaging projectile. Multi-hitting with meter.
-Sword Quake: Kotal does a quick slash into an unblockable ground slam. Holding up will cause the second hit to be cancelled.

---

X-Ray & Fatalies

"Sunburn"

"Be Mine"

"Tight Squeeze"

General Kharacter Info( some info from the comics, which has debate canonicity ):
-Son of Kotal K'Etz.
-Came to earth centuries ago and basically created the Aztec civilization.
-Before rising up, worked under Shao and Mileena as a general and a war advisor.
-His realm was invaded and conquered by Shao Kahn's forces when he was only a boy.
-Becomes extremely powerful in sunlight, allowing him increased strength and regenerative powers as well as access to sun magic. In the darkness he is assumedly about as a strong as a "normal" Outworlder or human at peak physical condition.
-Allies: Reptile, Ferra/Torr, Erron Black.
-Enemies/Rivals: Goro, Mileena, Reiko, Rain, Sonya Blade(?).

Kotal Kahn is of the few characters in MKX to be given their own stage, and with it his own music:

Last edited:
FIrst time i start the game instantly feel in love with the war god variation, I just love that Macuahuitl with the mix-ups ye sure he has the totems in the other variations but the Macuahuitl makes Kotal Kahn much better up close and from far : df2 is safe on block and mb has armor so legitimate wakeup and db3 second hit unblockable which can be faked by holding up after the db3 input AND if MB it has armor i mean what more do you need more. :REO

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
So im playing with wargodvariation and im testing some stuff like ending strings with the sword shake then cancelling it to aply further pressure.

It can be punished with armor moves but if u meterburn it then they cant punish it anymore.
I only tested with subzero's slide tough.
Backdashing is also no option unless i cancel it.

So anyone got some stuff with the sword shake?

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
So im playing with wargodvariation and im testing some stuff like ending strings with the sword shake then cancelling it to aply further pressure.

It can be punished with armor moves but if u meterburn it then they cant punish it anymore.
I only tested with subzero's slide tough.
Backdashing is also no option unless i cancel it.

So anyone got some stuff with the sword shake?
I feel like it's never worth it...only for the EX version which OTG's.

Oh and by the way, Mace Parry and Sunstone are not in War God.

Something that might help our pressure a bit if it's not already being used: some of Kotal Kahn's strings recover more quickly if you cancel into a whiffed airgrab. I'm not entirely sure how the frame data works in this game, and it's hard to tell from just testing in training mode, but it is obvious at least that 1,1,4 xx whiff airgrab makes him recover a few frames faster, leaving him at what looks to be around +3. Some of his other strings look like they recover a couple frames faster, but it's hard to tell. It also moves him a little closer to the opponent, for better or worse, and builds some meter as well.

Lanqu

Noob
Yeah, I've thought about testing this, but looks like you have a few frames of adv on that. Also you can end blocked string into regular or (more safer) ex projectile and it seems like gives him up to +16 advantage but can be interrupted before projectile comes out

Lanqu

Noob
I think some kind of pressure could be like this for sun god: b122 + df1, then d1 + db2 / mixing with B122 + ex disk (+16) then repeat pressure, incorporate some grabs

DavS13

Noob
Has anyone found a way to make sun god viable? I love the command grab but he is so unsafe on most his strings and has no real mixups without that sword, unless you cancel into the commandgrab which is full combo punishable if the opponent anticipates

regulas

Your Emporer
I put a thread specifically for Blood offering because that move is just so in need of help... but the other thing I'm finding not so useful is god ray. In fact on the whole it just seems that so many of his general abilities are sooooooooooo slow on start-up as to be a pain to ever try to use. Or why doesn't his air grab hit high? (blockable)...

His normals are good but hardly so good as to require all his abilities to be so hard to use... I mean it feels like you could reduce the startup on most of his specials by 20-30 frames easily and it would still only be a "marginal buff" due to the stats as they are now.

all his gameplay and combo's so far seem to largly ignore most of his specials except for War god that actually gets real abilities.

It feels kind of like Kotal was nerfed a lot due to some mechanic, only that mechanic was finally removed cause it was still to good but they didn't revert any of the nerfs.

Kotal is still usable and all but it just feels like some of his specials may as well not even be on his list.

Last edited:

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
FIrst time i start the game instantly feel in love with the war god variation, I just love that Macuahuitl with the mix-ups ye sure he has the totems in the other variations but the Macuahuitl makes Kotal Kahn much better up close and from far : df2 is safe on block and mb has armor so legitimate wakeup and db3 second hit unblockable which can be faked by holding up after the db3 input AND if MB it has armor i mean what more do you need more. :REO
I'm not 100% sure on this, but the listed frame data leads me to believe that db3 cancel might be +1 on block. It also says it hits high when it hits mid though, and that the unblockable move is plus 23 on block, which makes me wish it was blockable because safe mixups for days.

I'd test it out myself, but I'm on PC and as it turns out I can just barely run this game at all and can't get 60 fps no matter what I do. Consequently, figuring out small frame advantages is difficult when I'm dropping frames like mics at a rap battle.

Also, I just realized I know you from Injustice. <<<Coin Flip/Twosided_Truth/that one Harley player

Has anyone found a way to make sun god viable? I love the command grab but he is so unsafe on most his strings and has no real mixups without that sword, unless you cancel into the commandgrab which is full combo punishable if the opponent anticipates
I actually prefer sun god over war god. I am biase because I've been using sun god since launch. I played with war god a bit but I just really missed the command grab as a combo finisher.

The best times so far I found for command grab:
-as a combo finisher.
-while poking with b1 and low pokes to force them to block and do b1~sun choke. This will connect if they block it or jump back. It is a bit risky because if you hit the b1 the grab will whiff and youll get punished. Therefore I only use this when I know they will block.
-after you connect a b1,4 (low hit) you command g. I'm sure something beats the command grab but I have yet to see the choke be beaten.
-armor wake up if you're constantly being pressure by strings.
-against other characters with bad wake up options, I do the command grab as they're getting up from a hard knockdown like b1,2 or my level 1&2 sun choke.

I'm sure there are better set ups, we just got to find them.

I've been doing OK. Losing to mainly Zoners but I expected that. I wish sun disk had armor or didn't disappear halfway across the screen if you get hit.

ColdSpine

"I wore those colors before you"
Just gonna leave this here.

jip and then f2 everytime to start a combo, great, good luck with that!

you see, everyone agrees that kotal is a beast damage wise and its great to use f2 as a whiff punisher ONLY otherwise your gonna get blown up

everytime its blocked.

this variation needs something to make block strings safe thats all i could think of. otherwise, its fine :)

Jeddite

Soul Kollector
jip and then f2 everytime to start a combo, great, good luck with that!

you see, everyone agrees that kotal is a beast damage wise and its great to use f2 as a whiff punisher ONLY otherwise your gonna get blown up

everytime its blocked.

this variation needs something to make block strings safe thats all i could think of. otherwise, its fine :)
Isn't b122 a safe overhead string?

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Don't they both start high too? which is a bummer.
Yep, but a lot of characters have that issue. Also, a lot of people naturally block when they crouch, and sometimes, a characters blocking animation will slightly raise their hitbox so that the high normal connects (and is blocked, as opposed to whiffing - which really helps us).

Agilaz

It has begun
Has anybody figured out a way around full screen zoners with War God? Usually I can find my way around scrubby shit like pretty easily, but Sub Zero's spamming ice clones and iceballs, Full Auto Jacquis sitting at full screen shooting bullets..

The other variations have sunstone which helps, war god has this slow-ass sword toss. ex sword toss is alright i suppose, but it still costs meter and these people have no problems getting back out and to full screen, whether it's because of their kit or stage interactions.

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
Has anybody figured out a way around full screen zoners with War God? Usually I can find my way around scrubby shit like pretty easily, but Sub Zero's spamming ice clones and iceballs, Full Auto Jacquis sitting at full screen shooting bullets..

The other variations have sunstone which helps, war god has this slow-ass sword toss. ex sword toss is alright i suppose, but it still costs meter and these people have no problems getting back out and to full screen, whether it's because of their kit or stage interactions.
I haven't gotten to play many people online because of my terrible computer, but how much chip damage are zoners doing? Is it possible you could wait them out with God Ray?

Jeddite

Soul Kollector

#walkblock. You can't really zone out anyone in this game unless you land traps. Close the gap by walking and blocking (resist the urge to jump unless it is safe), and don't let them zone you out once you do.

Reactions: mkl