What's new

Strategy Kitana setups and anti-pokes

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Hey guys, I'm making this thread so we can discuss Kitana's footsie setups and tools to blowup pokes which, as you should already know, are some of the best in the game. This is my favorite tactic to use, as you guys may have seen me fail with my followups on stream. Unfortunately no one's really made a thread about it, so props to GuamoKun for the idea.

Her best anti-poke tools, or moves that will make pokes whiff, are as follows:

B12- This can be both a great move and a bad move. It moves her hitbox back, making short range pokes whiff. It can also be a mixup with cutter to get them standing, or a ghetto 50/50 with b1~fakeout kick (you can see the low coming, but it still catches a lot of people). The downside to this move is that it's pretty slow, and anything can be interrupted after the b1 with a poke or fast normals.

B3 - This move is great as it's not too slow, and lifts Kitana's front leg up to avoid pokes. It doesn't have the advantage of being cancelled into a mixup, but if they have a high hitbox you can hit a crouch-blocker with b33~fakeout kick and their only option to interrupt is with armor (I think?).

F3 - This should definitely be used less than the others, as it has slow startup (b1 is slower but her foot moves back quicker in the animation). However, the advantage of this move is the fact that both of Kitana's feet go in the air. This can be effective against d4's and some other low attacks. It makes Kabal's ground saw whiff, can anyone confirm if this works on other low fireballs?

33 - Possibly Kitana's best pressure tool. What's so good about this move is that it's her second fastest normal, can blowup crossover attempts, and can blowup low pokes with the same leg-rising properties. Unfortunately, the poor range on the move makes it less reliable to be used particularly as an anti-poke, and your only cancel options are a tough hit-confirm into cutter or ex lift.

Characters NOT to abuse anti-pokes on:
Sonya, Mileena, Baraka (long-range d4's)
Kenshi (he'd rather armor you away than try to play footsies)
Kitana (long-range d1)
Shang Tsung, Ermac (d3 avoids most of these for some reason, can anyone confirm other chars like this?)

Setups:

These are moves that allow for either the use of an anti-poke tool, or the use of f21/21 to blowup their poking attempt. These moves provide pushback on block which allows Kitana's long-range starters to hit them if they try to do something. I'm going to write "big pushback" if it allows a f21/21 followup and not an anti-poke, and "small pushback" if it does allow an anti-poke:

21 (big pushback, -5)
f4b4 (big pushback, -1)
f41 (big pushback, 0)
b4 (big pushback, -7)
d4 (big pushback, 0 blk, +16 hit)
ex cutter (big to medium pushback, 0)
b12 (big to medium pushback, 0)

33 (small pushback, 0 blk, +10 hit)
d1 (small pushback, -15 blk, -1 hit)
d3 (small pushback, -7 blk, +3 hit)

I'd also like to mention that backdash cancelling an accidental ex fan can set up a f21 or 21 as well. But you're normally likely to get hit first.

Some examples in footsies and pressure I'll use:
d3, 33, b3~ex fan
b12, f21
21, f21
d4, mixup between f21 and walkup grab
b1~cutter, d3, b1~ex fan
The possibilities are endless!

If anyone would like to add to these lists with something new they find I will update!

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Yup Kitana is annoying as shit with her counterpokes setups. Alot of the times, Kit's F+2 will go over Shang's D+3. A setup I use with her (bummed off of Mr. Mileena) is B33, back dash, F+2,1. It will beat all normal ranged pokes.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Yup Kitana is annoying as shit with her counterpokes setups. Alot of the times, Kit's F+2 will go over Shang's D+3. A setup I use with her (bummed off of Mr. Mileena) is B33, back dash, F+2,1. It will beat all normal ranged pokes.
Yep :)

TSRPrince

kombat doctor
I was in dire need of some tips to vary up my set ups, thanks for making this thread! f3 does not clear lui kang's normal or EX low fireballs btw, just tested it many times

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
good shit rev! Also, you should add standing 2 to the mix. It has massive pushback on block and neutral, and +11 on hit. you can do stuff like 2 ->f21, 2 -> dash 21, etc.

21 cutter puts kitana in the perfect position for her to use d3, and mostly likely, her d3 will be at max range. in that situation, d3 back dash f21 is gdlk. just ask Relaxedstate :D

zaf

professor
Is it safe to say that Kitana has the best normals in the game?

I'm not saying this cause of this thread in particular, but I've just thought it for a while.
I'm sure most people would either say cage or kitana....

Insuperable

My mom tells me I'm pretty
Is it safe to say that Kitana has the best normals in the game?

I'm not saying this cause of this thread in particular, but I've just thought it for a while.
I'm sure most people would either say cage or kitana....
Best spacing tools. Her normals aren't fast enough to be the best overall.

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
zaf I'd say Liu Kang's normals are REALLY good but its really debatable whether or not they are the best since Kitana and Liu Kang can actually play footsies with each other if they both decide to not iAF at all during the match.

In all honesty, I'd say that if Kitana's normals were faster and hit mid she'd probably be in the top 5.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
rev0lver
Why do Kitana players always spam that d1? On hit or block they always throw it out at least twice. :)
Because 95% of players don't punish it

So if shangs d3 allows him to lower under anti poke set ups, i believe it should work for ermac and kenshi
I actually think I remember Kenshi's d3 going under it too. But it doesn't matter because you won't be up close on Kenshi for long anyway.

good shit rev! Also, you should add standing 2 to the mix. It has massive pushback on block and neutral, and +11 on hit. you can do stuff like 2 ->f21, 2 -> dash 21, etc.
That sounds pretty good, I just like the 21 setup better because sometimes people expect the cutter or something and try and poke. I'll add it though.

Because 95% of players don't punish it

I actually think I remember Kenshi's d3 going under it too. But it doesn't matter because you won't be up close on Kenshi for long anyway.

That sounds pretty good, I just like the 21 setup better because sometimes people expect the cutter or something and try and poke. I'll add it though.
So spam d1 because people don't punish it? That gives them a better chance at punishing you

McNasty

Moist.
Am I the only Kitana player who ducks his head when F2 comes out, and rises his head as the 1 f2 1 comes out?

lol
I know exactly what you mean! One of my favorite aspects of kitana shes got great rhythm to her moves/combos.

Nice write up rev I needed help understanding how the 33 game works and this should do the trick!

Maybe not the best option but could we add in setups where the pushback puts you at the ideal d1 cutter range in a counterpoke scenario or is that too m/u specific?

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
The reason why I think Kitana so top 10 is because she has THESE options. Seriously, she has the best poke in the game, along with the best long range normals in the game coupled by excellent stagger strings. If Kitty is on point, you literally are left scratching your head about her pressure.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I know exactly what you mean! One of my favorite aspects of kitana shes got great rhythm to her moves/combos.

Nice write up rev I needed help understanding how the 33 game works and this should do the trick!

Maybe not the best option but could we add in setups where the pushback puts you at the ideal d1 cutter range in a counterpoke scenario or is that too m/u specific?
The 33 game is kinda a unique situation because it works as an anti-poke as well as a pressure tool. It leaves you at 0 with less visual recovery than 11, making it an ideal move to mixup a throw, d3, another 33, or a cutter cancel if they're standing.

I'm not sure about adding in something for d1~cutter. I like to think our opponents are past that in this stage of the game even though some aren't lol.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
So spam d1 because people don't punish it? That gives them a better chance at punishing you
Yeah, which is why a good player won't do that haha. I'm just saying, I see a lot of low level Kitana players mashing d1's because they don't understand how her footsies work, yet this is somehow effective because a lot of online players don't counterpoke or have trouble with it due to the lag.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
b+3 by itself is overlooked. It's +12 on hit. The guessing game off a safe jump isn't actually that much better for her. The risk/reward for b+3 is better than b+3~cutter.