What's new

Match-up Discussion Kitana Matchup Discussion Thread

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I have updated the Baraka and Mileena matchups.

I don't think that I've posted my Baraka anti-wakeup tech before. I've discovered it over a year ago lol

IMO:

Baraka: 7-3
Freddy: 4-6
Jax: I hate this MU so damn much. But everyone says its even. This is my personal bad MU for kit.
Cage: 6-4
Kano: I had it 6-4, but I've never played it at high level play. I know Mr. Mileena preaches this is 7-3.
Kenshi: lbsh, its only 2-8 against pig.
Mileena: 6-4. I will get to this later in the post.
Quan: AT LEAST 6-4
Raiden: 5-5
Rain:6-4
Reptile: 5-5 lol
Sektor: 5-5. I've been studying this MU a lot lately
Sonya: 5-5 but it COULD Possibly be in kits favor. I know death is starting to hate this MU a bit lol. Me and him are gonna bang this MU out at nec
Stryker: this is another one of my personal bad MUs. I hate this match. But everyone says its 6-4 now.

Now for kitana against mileena. This used to be a bad MU back in the day, then we figured out the MU, then it became 5-5. But in today's metagame and the playstyles of both characters, I honestly feel like kitana wins. Yes, kitana can't throw fans, but she has advantageous MUs in which she can't throw fans. Also, even tho mileena can zone her, the zoning is average and is nothing to fear. Kitana can affords to make a couple mistakes because mileena's punishment (against kitana) Is not that great, whereas Kitana's punishment reaches +40%. Mileena's d4 can be a nuisance, but it is nothing like Sonya's and with a good read, it can be blown up with f21 or jk~fan. Upclose, kitana beats her upclose IMO . She out footsies her for sure. If kitana gets the life lead, she can just sit back and make mileena come to her.

Kitana is a character that gets a majority of her damage through punishment, rather it be counter poking or a unsafe move. Mileena is a very risky character, and that's something kitana loves. One mistake and mileena is eating huge damage.
I have my numbers, but I don't mind agreeing with Baraka being 7-3, cage 6-4 Kitana. As far as stryker, espio plays it best, and I found tech to fight stryker, it's 6-4 Kitana.

Kitana loses to Reptile, it's a bad matchup.

Can the Sonya players please stop downplaying her? No way in hell does kitana beat her, for now I have it even, but to be honest, it has to be tested offline. It's either 4-6 SOnya winning, or 5-5

Kitana does not beat her, never will. Sonya players need to step it up then

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Most of the high-level Baraka guys seem to be saying it's only 6-4, which says a lot.

The most in Kitana's favor I can see the Sonya match going is 5.5-4.5 Sonya. I really don't give two shits if Death is losing the matchup online. Don't mean to be a dick.

I agree with Mileena being 6-4 in Kitana's favor. It's the same justification I have for Skarlet though. When your character has to take risks to win, it plays into our favor.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I'm also still convinced Freddy is 3-7. I just don't think the Freddy players are really playing this at the highest level. He has all the tools to deal with her, just not quite as much as Kenshi.

I agree with Kano being 7-3

Raiden might be 4-6 but 5-5 doesn't bother me

I don't think we should be putting Quan Chi past 6-4. Fundamentally, it might possibly be 7-3, but the rune trap is too big of a factor for us to push the number.

Death

Noob
Most of the high-level Baraka guys seem to be saying it's only 6-4, which says a lot.

The most in Kitana's favor I can see the Sonya match going is 5.5-4.5 Sonya. I really don't give two shits if Death is losing the matchup online. Don't mean to be a dick.

I agree with Mileena being 6-4 in Kitana's favor. It's the same justification I have for Skarlet though. When your character has to take risks to win, it plays into our favor.
Its 5-5. Offline its much easier to react to fans and assout. Not 6-4 kit. I was kidding lol

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
it's nothing new, maybe espio and I can record some fights.

LOl, just know your roll distance and 2,1, his ex cannot go full screen if you are far screen walking back.
She can trade projectiles, it's hilarious. hard to explain XD
I see. I d1~cutter or 21 Kung Lao's roll on reaction. Good stuff.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Stryker also gets away with his roll online going unpunished by a d1, then she's at -15 which is annoying ;_;
If you make a read, you can NJP the roll, but if you see it coming, can't you jump over it and EX Air Fan punish it for a full combo? I will have to test this!

If you make a read, you can NJP the roll, but if you see it coming, can't you jump over it and EX Air Fan punish it for a full combo? I will have to test this!
2,1 is the safest form, especially for the ex one.

But yeah, please test it.
He's annoying, and the reason kitana players (well most), seem to think it's even or even bad for Kitana is because they don't know how to fight/punish him.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana

He's annoying, and the reason kitana players (well most), seem to think it's even or even bad for Kitana is because they don't know how to fight/punish him.
I will let you know the results when I get time to test it out.

The more you understand what Stryker can and can't do and what you can do about it, the easier it becomes.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
You can. I tested this a while ago. It also works if they wakeup with the baton sweep

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free

Show me the ways of the classy kitana vs a whack ass rent-a-cop

Espio

Kokomo
Everyone gets away with stuff online, for example, I cannot punish down 1 on block with standing 4, which is 8 frames etc. Kitana's down 1 is -1 on hit and it's a 1 frame window for the poke, roll toss is -7 on block.

Not saying anything to argue match ups, I'm kind of done doing that. It's not bad for either character, which is all that really matters to me.

Mr. Mileena plays the match up very well and is definitely a much better player than I am, easily. Way better footsies.

Everyone gets away with stuff online, for example, I cannot punish down 1 on block with standing 4, which is 8 frames etc. Kitana's down 1 is -1 on hit and it's a 1 frame window for the poke, roll toss is -7 on block.

Not saying anything to argue match ups, I'm kind of done doing that. It's not bad for either character, which is all that really matters to me.

Mr. Mileena plays the match up very well and is definitely a much better player than I am, easily. Way better footsies.
are you sure the 4 can hit her? it seems weird, she's ducking and is at a distance

Espio

Kokomo
are you sure the 4 can hit her? it seems weird, she's ducking and is at a distance
It hits mid and there's a 7 frame window to do so. If it's max range, he'd have to dash up and she could probably block, but I can't test this offline ;_;. 7 frames isn't too tight of a window though, but like most cases of punishing down 1, he'd also have to make the read since blockstun and everything.

But yeah, thanks for the shoutout :).

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I was messing around in training mode vs mileena's wakeups and remembering DanCock 's video where you can jump out of the second hit of her EX Telekick.

I was able to dash out and hit her out of the second kick with a d1. While this is very risky, if all you had left was 2% and knew about this, you could get an aad1 into Cutter or aad1 into EX Lift for a 30% combo just like punishing the normal EX Telekick.

I also landed an EX Lift on the second kick by dashing out of the way (you can't even see the dash it's so small).

I thought that all characters could do this dash out and aad1 her second kick, but I wasn't able to do it with Cage.

I know this is kind of useless as you can just block the second kick low and punish just the same, but you take 2% less chip and prevent her from gaining the meter for the blocked telekick and the whiffed sai that follows.

Wow, this post is all about me me me me me. Look at all the sentences starting with "I".

Let me know what you guys think! GGA 16 Bit xKhaoTikx rev0lver Mr. Mileena @everyotherkitanaplayer

7L

Heads up!
For mileena wake up options if I have meter I usually will stand close with block, mash back and try to watch the ground for her to telekick and lift it. The timing is pretty strict but it you expect it you should be fine.

I am curious about jumping/dashing out after the second hit though, I'll try that tonight and see how strict that timing is.

This weekend (since I had a nice early exit to NEC) I practice random stuff with kitana like D1 to fan on crossover. I could never do that before and I want to see if it works on the second hit of mileenas ex tele kick because if it does, you can get more damage than d1 to cutter and if you want you can also burn meter for an ex lift to more damage...

But I love labbing these kinds of things, I'll test some of these out and tell you what I can pull off, Konqrr

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
It's mostly that her offense isn't that great, you can't jump in on him because of d+1, and he has 1,1,1. Plus I swear his crossup jump punch is better than everyone else's. He just blows up d+1 and d+3. I know this sounds ridiculous but I'm not the only one to notice it. It's either that or Slips is so much better at crossups than anyone else.
Im just saying, my sparring partner OZZYGUITAR (I think he said he talked to you at nec) plays scorpion and I have similar issues anti airing..... I just uppercut him now on crossup.

OZZYGUITAR

Back-dash Adam
Im just saying, my sparring partner OZZYGUITAR (I think he said he talked to you at nec) plays scorpion and I have similar issues anti airing..... I just uppercut him now on crossup.
its either scorpion has a messed up air hitbox or me, slips, and every other scorpion are thoroughly practiced in the art of jip because we use it in the vortex, id like to know if his air hitbox is different, it was brought up a long time ago but everybody said "its just slips" lol

7L

Heads up!
Okay Konqrr I need you to test this out.
GGA 16 Bit
xKhaoTikx
rev0lver
Mr. Mileena

After you dash out of the mileena ex tele kick (yes I can do it on reaction after a little practice) I recommend going straight for a throw, as the mileena player will most likely be expecting to use a sai to get advantage or to hold themselves in the air, right as the second telekick is coming down you can throw them, you will have to be careful because when I was first testing this, I was dashing forward on grounded mileena and the ex telekick puts her behind you, so your backdash to throw will work but if you are still mashing like I was in some cases, I would get a back throw when I wanted a forward throw....

I think the throw out of the ex tele kick will be your best option, you have no reason to block low and this will pretty much beat out everything mileena has for a wake up option. Before I would only be able to get d1 to cutter on her ex tele kick for 10% (i think thats right) and it throws her across the stage. This way, you can get a forward throw and that's where the mind games can begin. I really wish I knew this at NEC when I faced jer...

I couldn't really get anything else out of this. So instead of burning meter for a aad1 to ex lift, I think this will be the better option. The ability for the mileena player to tech this is pretty slim for the only input they will be expecting to do the for the sai.

This is probably what I'll use since I have already gained the title "grab master" from the pa crew ^_^

and on the side note with not being able to do it with cage, it could possibly have something to do with hitboxes, I'll test that out in the morning also.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
7L, I will definitely test this. Throwing Mileena when she lands from the second kick would really turn some heads. It really puts Mileena in a tough spot and will re-think trying a random EX Telekick again.