What's new

Kitana General Discussion

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Im thinking about playing kitana, but I need to know something. does her DF2 actually leave her negative on hit or is that just a bug with the frame data in practice?
Yes. To the point where outside of using a kameo like Jax to ambush into combo extensions off it, it's generally not worth using Pirouette as a combo ender. You can get comparable (if slightly [~1%] less) damage by using Fan-nado as your ender.

Do I suck or is Geras a horrible match-up for Kitana?
Have only run into a couple Geras' on PC and they haven't really been an issue. With Sub and Lao kameos, it's extremely easy to zone him out. With Stryker, I'd imagine he complements pressure better cause you can call in grenades when you think Geras is going to attempt an armor through your string gaps. For those kinda Geras', I recommend using 2 and B2 alone every now and then to bait the armor. At least teach them they can't autopilot turn steal whenever they have meter.

Noserfatu

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
I finally tried Stryker with kitana and am loving it. Gives her safety off b34 and her armored special. And she gets a +6 oh to use on block strings. You can also throw nades and then immediately fly away to be sneaky.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
I finally tried Stryker with kitana and am loving it. Gives her safety off b34 and her armored special. And she gets a +6 oh to use on block strings. You can also throw nades and then immediately fly away to be sneaky.
I briefly tried that team when I first tried to learn her like in Month 1. I haven't revisited it yet though. Looks like most people are running Kitana/Jax. I'm trying to polish her up and make her my secondary but don't feel like using Jax. Been messing around with Frost and Sektor. Both give her plus frame pushback for spacing purposes (some of them legit frame traps) but Might check Stryker out again. Ending anything in plus for her helps her fight up close. Grenades also cover her pretty well. I just remember that team being tough and a bit of a mind f*** for me back then but since then I've gotten used to the Kameo system and used that kinda OD tech with Mileena using him so I may come back to this team. What kinda string enders or attacks do you use with nades? Do you use them to get in or out as well? Or to setup wind bomb without getting harrassed? I gotta jump in the lab tomorrow with them to see how this goes. I remember I could launch off of her 112 by inputting the grenade toss in between one of the buttons (gotta check that again) but that's about it haha

Noserfatu

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
I briefly tried that team when I first tried to learn her like in Month 1. I haven't revisited it yet though. Looks like most people are running Kitana/Jax. I'm trying to polish her up and make her my secondary but don't feel like using Jax. Been messing around with Frost and Sektor. Both give her plus frame pushback for spacing purposes (some of them legit frame traps) but Might check Stryker out again. Ending anything in plus for her helps her fight up close. Grenades also cover her pretty well. I just remember that team being tough and a bit of a mind f*** for me back then but since then I've gotten used to the Kameo system and used that kinda OD tech with Mileena using him so I may come back to this team. What kinda string enders or attacks do you use with nades? Do you use them to get in or out as well? Or to setup wind bomb without getting harrassed? I gotta jump in the lab tomorrow with them to see how this goes. I remember I could launch off of her 112 by inputting the grenade toss in between one of the buttons (gotta check that again) but that's about it haha
I use the nades for a ton of different purposes. On wakeup, in neutral, continue pressure, start pressure. mostly be safe off her armoured special and b34. Do unsafe stuff to bait them and then call nades is a classic.

Hello everyone,

Fancy Flick: did it always disappear when you got hit? I swear it did not, but now it is. Am I just remembering wrong?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Is it just me or is kitana's zoning kinda bad cause I swear if I'm lucky I can only toss two fans
She has some of the best, if not the best, zoning in this game, especially with Kung Lao as the kameo.

Unfortunately, zoning is very weak and easily counter picked in this game.

If your opponent chooses Sub Zero as the kameo, most of Kitana's special moves, including Kung Lao's low hat, become useless, forcing you to play in the neutral and offensive.

While she has limited offensive options, she does have very good buttons.

She is fun to use when you are allowed to zone, which I wish were more often.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
Her zoning is one of the best IMO but you have to have a sub game of "hit and run" in there. Some people get impatient and get wrecked badly. Others work their way in and in some cases depending on who they use, once they get in they put her in a hurt locker. You have to be calculated with her zoning and start basing your neutral or close game around their habits and timings.

I use stryker to cover both zoning and wind bomb setup. However when they get close stryker gives her plus frames for actual frame traps if I so choose OR enough plus to for sure backdash and setup some kind of whiff punish. I also use him to combo off of 112 or throw out a grenade and do jump db2 to get out of corners or move away when I'm near a corner to continue to let people chase me down while I chip away at them.

Hot_DNA

Noob
Her zoning is one of the best IMO but you have to have a sub game of "hit and run" in there. Some people get impatient and get wrecked badly. Others work their way in and in some cases depending on who they use, once they get in they put her in a hurt locker. You have to be calculated with her zoning and start basing your neutral or close game around their habits and timings.

I use stryker to cover both zoning and wind bomb setup. However when they get close stryker gives her plus frames for actual frame traps if I so choose OR enough plus to for sure backdash and setup some kind of whiff punish. I also use him to combo off of 112 or throw out a grenade and do jump db2 to get out of corners or move away when I'm near a corner to continue to let people chase me down while I chip away at them.
I'm a Kitana/sub main but I wanna switch to Stryker.. Do you have any gameplay you could share?

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
I'm a Kitana/sub main but I wanna switch to Stryker.. Do you have any gameplay you could share?
No I haven't really recorded anything in a while. I would just go back and run my replays and save those off my PS5 but I still have that issue where it'll display a "playback error" so I can't watch any replays. Dunno if you guys have that issue. I could not too far down the line but atm I'm labbing Khameleon with my Main. Maybe this weekend I'll run that team for a bit just to throw something out to show you. Or I can just give you the tech I have with her so far if you want it. Pretty straightforward overall.

OR If you have PSN We can get into a lobby and I can just show you all the stuff live too

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
I'm gonna be honest, the only cameo I like is Sonya cause she's a really brain dead anti-air and a great combo extender so I don't have to think about 112

I don't like strikers bombs for combo extensions or most other cameos if I'm being honest...it's super unfun to hitconfirm

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Kitana peoples, can you answer me a question please

Who do you feel kitanas worst mu/losing mu are?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Kitana peoples, can you answer me a question please

Who do you feel kitanas worst mu/losing mu are?
As a player who uses Kitana as a secondary character, any character who synergizes very well with Sub Zero and/or has lots of anti-zoning tools gives Kitana a difficult time.

Kenshi would be on top of my worst match up list, followed by characters like Peacemaker and Smoke. Perhaps Reiko, too.

An equally important question is, who is Kitana's best kameo now that Kung Lao has been nerfed? Jax? Sub Zero? Still Kung Lao?

You cannot use Kitana as a main character and only use one kameo in my opinion.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
As a player who uses Kitana as a secondary character, any character who synergizes very well with Sub Zero and/or has lots of anti-zoning tools gives Kitana a difficult time.

Kenshi would be on top of my worst match up list, followed by characters like Peacemaker and Smoke. Perhaps Reiko, too.

An equally important question is, who is Kitana's best kameo now that Kung Lao has been nerfed? Jax? Sub Zero? Still Kung Lao?

You cannot use Kitana as a main character and only use one kameo in my opinion.
Imo, it was already Jax before the patch and now it's even more the case. Khameleon is a great contender, but Jax is the main kameo that gives her both damage and dirt.

Personally? LOVE Sub kameo with her. It accentuates her strengths to make them oppressive. Her combo damage output is absolutely terrifying off every touch with him too. Khameleon is likely better overall, but Sub is lovely for my tastes.