What's new

Strategy - Kitana Kitana General Discussion/Strategies

Status
Not open for further replies.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
So apparently CDJr. was praising how good Kitana is due to CDSr. playing mournful.

REO says she is better than fine.
Tom Brady says she is fine.
Now CDJr.

What do you guys think of this? I think it's a load of bullshit.
All people who don't play her, telling the masses about how "fine" she is. Two of which had trouble against the character in MK9, and one of which with a brother who he plays with constantly. Not to mention how Kitana players in local scenes aren't even placing as well as they were at first and even the die-hard Kitana fans are picking up alts to deal with the rest of the cast.

The problem? This is a fighting game. The better players usually win in fighting games. If Kitana is winning things it goes out to the PLAYER as there are numerous, fundamental things wrong with her design. A strong Jade player could beat a Kabal player who isn't as good in MK9 and the same applies here. However, people are still clinging to Kitana's MK9 dominance and refuse to believe that there might be something she is lacking in this game.

I like how a lot of these top players that don't even play/main her say "she's fine" but never really elaborate as to why she is. One of the players mentioned in RunawayMafia's list did a stream session not too long ago where they picked her for practice mode, and didn't even know how to perform her combos and it was quite apparent they had never played her before : / So how can they have an opinion on a character they haven't experienced for themselves as opposed to those who have?

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
I like how a lot of these top players that don't even play/main her say "she's fine" but never really elaborate as to why she is. One of the players mentioned in RunawayMafia's list did a stream session not too long ago where they picked her for practice mode, and didn't even know how to perform her combos and it was quite apparent they had never played her before : / So how can they have an opinion on a character they haven't experienced for themselves as opposed to those who have?
Exactly. Fine. Fine...like, what is "fine"? What does that even mean?

I feel like "fine" in this game translates to "LOL Bitch plzzz...No I will not enter a tourny with her when money is on the line. Besides, I main Cassie! But yes, she is fine. Go find tech. She is fine. No, I dont main her." Lol

Inception

I love Kitana
Lately while playing kitana I have been keeping to simple. Punish 1,1 lift or 2,1 lift IAF, AF, GF , Sweep, Grab her overhead is so slow people are punishing on reaction. LOL and the BUTT as armor space move.

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
Mournful is life. I just can't win as much with the other two vari'. It kind of makes me sad because assassin strike is so pretty.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
She's not fine and I hope 16bit and the rest of the top players can actually appeal to NRS for a serious adjustment.

I remember when peeps were worried about how variations may lead to one character's worth of tools being spread across three variations, leaving all three feeling rather underwhelming. While I feel like they've successfully avoided that for most of the cast, I think that Kitana is one of the few characters that ended up embodying that in reality.

Assassin's Sharpen buffs fan attacks to the damage that they should do anyway.
Royal Storm gives her air control and anti-zoning that she previously had all of the time.
Mournful gives her safe pressure and blockstrings that she, likewise, previously had all the time.

It's also a little bit amusing how Mournful was immediately written off by almost everyone when her variations were first revealed, only for almost all of those same folks to now be saying that Mournful is easily the best of the bunch. :p

Last edited:

armani

Noob
being that 16 Bit is on the NRS team officially I think he had a say so in kitana's play style. with that being said I think that they designed Kitana to be how she is on purpose. sure she isn't like how she was in MK9, but she has some advantages that some characters don't have in this game. she has two armor-able specials (throat slice, ass boost) that are good for wake up and they cover mid screen distance, she has a hard knockdown overhead that forces the opponent to continually play the wake up game if they guess wrong, and her fans are ridiculously fast. she can do combos from full screen with her fans & her EX fan-lift while in royal storm. she has a damage buff in assassin, she can armor through projectiles at fullscreen with her assassin rush. b14~db1~DDDblock is a sequence that'll fan lift on hit or leave you neutral on block. her 111 is a i8 string that punishes 80% of the cast for a full combo. she has an instant jump punch that is godlike. and did I mention the float setups? kind of gimmicky, but fuck it it's a tool.

and I still think that there is more to discover.

she is a "I'm gonna wait till you do something unsafe, combo you, frustrate you with zoning and then once your mad im gonna do it again." character lol.

(b14 into grab is so cheap imo but it works)

Last edited:

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
I think I'm gonna start using mournful more too. Royal storm is still my favorite variation tho.

Also, I want upset about Kitana's sharpen at first, but after seeing how Jason's REGULAR buff recovers faster than Kitana's EX Sharpen, its saddening. Also, he can pretty much use it whenever he wants since it recovers so damn fast and has an easier time capitalizing on it since he can actually open people up. So yea, I'm jealous.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
tom brady also believes grandmaster subs vortex is fair, so whoop di doo.
Last night at casuals, it was a struggle to go even with people as Kitana who i have spent most of my time playing. When i picked GM Sub, i won 90% of the time at least and I've only practiced with him for a few hours.

Tom Brady don't know shit. Remember his thread about Shazam when Injustice came out? Lol

I honestly think the players who are saying she is "fine" feel that they had to fight a losing matchup of sub vs. kit for the life of MK9, so now its their time to shine.

RunwayMafia

I remember when peeps were worried about how variations may lead to one character's worth of tools would be spread across three variations, leaving all three feeling rather underwhelming. While I feel like they've successfully avoided that for most of the cast, I think that Kitana is one of the few characters that ended up embodying that in reality.

Assassin's Sharpen buffs fan attacks to the damage that they should do anyway.
Royal Storm gives her air control and anti-zoning that she previously had all of the time.
Mournful gives her safe pressure and blockstrings that she, likewise, previously had all the time.

It's also a little bit amusing how Mournful was immediately written off by almost everyone when her variations were first revealed, only for almost all of those same folks to now be saying that Mournful is easily the best of the bunch. :p
Fucking this!

It amuses the shit out of me that every Kitana player pre and post release shat on Mournful simply due to the association with Jade. It's so stupid. Lol, hope you guys enjoy it now cuz its all she has at the moment.

Laos Boi and I were the only true and proud Mournful supporters pre release. The irony. ;)

/endMournfulplayersrant

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
Fucking this!

It amuses the shit out of me that every Kitana player pre and post release shat on Mournful simply due to the association with Jade. It's so stupid. Lol, hope you guys enjoy it now cuz its all she has at the moment.

Laos Boi and I were the only true and proud Mournful supporters pre release. The irony. ;)

/endMournfulplayersrant
I think people shat on it because this is Kitana... not Jade. Many people felt cheated and felt that this version was a cop out by NRS. Kitana without fans is like Scorpion without a spear or Sub Zero without a freeze move. THAT is the main problem people have with it.

RunwayMafia

I think people shat on it because this is Kitana... not Jade. Many people felt cheated and felt that this version was a cop out by NRS. Kitana without fans is like Scorpion without a spear or Sub Zero without a freeze move. THAT is the main problem people have with it.
Nope. Post release people deemed the variation "useless" and the weakest of the three.

learis1

Guardian Cadet
Mounrful is like making Kitana's projectile a safe mid, but taking away all damage potential from it from all her strings and jump counter conversions. It's a terrible tradeoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.