What's new

Strategy - Kitana Kitana General Discussion/Strategies

Status
Not open for further replies.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Somebody who has contact with NRS, get this bitch fixed. 'til I hear good news, I'm off to playing others. Don't want to get jaded again :D

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Well, if anybody wants to see the most painful zoning game ever, here it is. My execution gets all fucked up and I start dropping things pretty badly because I was getting so flustered. But I can't get around this! This is like the 3rd time someone has pulled this shit. Even with Royal Storm the bullets hit before the reflect activate. I don't know how I managed to squeak out the win, thanks to the princess puff and Blanche for her sacrifice.

You can neutral duck the bullets...you sat there and blocked them when you didn't need to lol.

you arent setting ANY type of tone with f22u4. the second hit can be armored, and you arent gonna do f2 by itself unless you're asking to get punished. The string sucks against someone who has armor, which is the entire cast.

f112 can be armored too, but at least f11 is safe. f1 by itself its asking to be punished.

EDIT: Disregard. Hotfix closed the gap on the strings.
Even with the hotfix man, you're right. F2,2, u4 is not a string I commit to because of it's risk on block. Also, I never just commit to F1 unless I'm asking for a full combo on block. I wish, however that the first or second hits of F2,2, U4 were overheads. At least there would be a mixup involved.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Still thinking is soon to take conclusions about any chars :/
She isn't some super deep, high tech character that needs months to decipher.

When you have no legit way to open someone up (OH/LOW), unsafe normals, strings, and specials and a completely mediocre zoning game....it really isn't rocket science.

She needs help. I can't fathom how and why they designed her in this manner.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Kitana Option Selects!

f2~qcf+1+2+3~u4 and b14~qcf+1+2+3

Either they block and she does the blockstring normally or it hits and the f2 or b14 cancels to EX Fan for a 40%+ combo.
I haven't been able to get the b14 OS to work since I did it the first time... I plan on working on other OS's to see what she has.

Honestly, I don't think she is a bad character. Most of the Kitana players I talk to are still playing her like they did in MK9 where they try to pressure all the time like she's safe. She can still play footsies, her TS punishes a ton of stuff on block that she can't reach with her normals, use it.

My only complaint is the recovery after Square Boost... good God. Even if I do it while my opponent is actively trying to hit me, they recover and can run in for a full combo... WTF... was "Ass Out" such a problem in MK9 that they had to destroy it with the nerf hammer in MKX? FFS she has to jump before using it to get out now.

I haven't been able to get the b14 OS to work since I did it the first time... I plan on working on other OS's to see what she has.

Honestly, I don't think she is a bad character. Most of the Kitana players I talk to are still playing her like they did in MK9 where they try to pressure all the time like she's safe. She can still play footsies, her TS punishes a ton of stuff on block that she can't reach with her normals, use it.

My only complaint is the recovery after Square Boost... good God. Even if I do it while my opponent is actively trying to hit me, they recover and can run in for a full combo... WTF... was "Ass Out" such a problem in MK9 that they had to destroy it with the nerf hammer in MKX? FFS she has to jump before using it to get out now.
Sorry, new to MK mechanics. Would you technically have less recovery time if you hit with air square boost than ground square boost (so that it's not punishable?) I haven't been able to trust the ingame frame data as much as I'd like unfortunately.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Sorry, new to MK mechanics. Would you technically have less recovery time if you hit with air square boost than ground square boost (so that it's not punishable?) I haven't been able to trust the ingame frame data as much as I'd like unfortunately.
I'm talking about whiff to get out of corners/situations. In MK9 she had little recovery/trip guard, but in MKX she has a ton of recovery on top of trip guard. On hit, I think both characters recover at the same time, she may even be negative or get punished if she hits it in the corner.

I don't know if the Air Square Boost has different frame data than ground.

Shiizu

Theory Fighter
Um, so Tempest Lao is a nightmare. 4F ARMORED LAUNCHER?! It literally punishes EVERYTHING Kitana does...EVERYTHING.

At least she can punish it but damn, this move alone shuts her down completely
Not sure if it helps, but I've noticed that Cyclone's hitbox doesn't extend to the area directly above him. If he likes to use it a lot on wake-up to stop your pressure, you can float directly above him and catch him with a njp. If timed right, the armored frames expire by the time njp connects, stuffing the wakeup attempt. It requires a bit of practice to get it right, and you need a good HKD to set it up (Assassin variation would probably work best for this reason).

Ardul

Noob
What do you think about this? I think it could be a viable option when f+2,2 is blocked. Hit confirm is easy.

If we connect -> f+2,2,u+4xxAF~combo
If we don't -> f+2,2,u+4xxqcb+2, N, AF (to avoid fast punishers)
f+2,2,u+4xxqcb+2 (if opponent wait the AF to punish us)

It's not 100% safe, but its something. Am I right?

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Yeah, I do that a lot. It's not a guessing game in her favor but it's better than just getting bodied for using the move.

Madog32

PSN: ImaGiveItToUBaby
Just a funny tidbit I just witnessed and has already been discussed, but I didn't catch it - Her projectile parry turned into a kung jin brutality when the final hit came from his own reflected arrow. I know he has this brutality to use on his opponents, but I thought it was funny that she used it on him when she reflected the arrow. Not sure if/what other brutalities she could 'steal' from her opponents, but I figured I'd share since it gave me such a chuckle!

What do you think about this? I think it could be a viable option when f+2,2 is blocked. Hit confirm is easy.

If we connect -> f+2,2,u+4xxAF~combo
If we don't -> f+2,2,u+4xxqcb+2, N, AF (to avoid fast punishers)
f+2,2,u+4xxqcb+2 (if opponent wait the AF to punish us)

It's not 100% safe, but its something. Am I right?

Wouldn't NJK also be a viable option alongside AF? Will probably need testing (or you might have already), but I can imagine it stuffing a lot of approaching attacks. Plus, it's safe(r).

Riyo

Noob
Playing with the higher level people here in the Tristate, I'm starting to wonder how good Kitana will be in the long run once others start to figure out the fan maze. I still think Kitana is a very good character tho.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
d1 on hit gives you a free instant j2. So far, the only seemingly guaranteed blockstring after is f22 which you can hit confirm. Instant j2 is sort of like f22u4 and the meta surrounding it. You can d1, ij2, throw (duckable) or d1, ij2~f22 or d1~ij2~d4~fan (-10). The problem is that most blockstrings after the ij2 from the range after a d1 hits can be ducked by the opponent and countered with armor or their own d1. It is tricky and something to add to your arsenal.

You can also get ij2 from a d4 on hit, but not at max range and you have to walk forward to get it. The move is +20 by itself so maybe just doing f22 straight away is better than risking a ij2?

Test it out and see for yourselves.

Let me know if you find any issues with these two:
j2 (hit), ij2~f112~xray blockstring (18.5%) **I know, why would you give up an opportunity of a combo if j2 hits... it's the idea of getting huge block damage that is key from this video.

d1~ij2~f22~xray blockstring (13.5%) **from what I can tell, unavoidable. Can you armor before the f2 connects?

I use it online alot actually and in the offline fights I participated in over the weekend, the slow move, in comparison to kitana's relatively fast-paced moveset throws alot of (my) opponents off.
but that's just me.

learis1

Guardian Cadet
The more I play mournful, the more it actually feels like the best variation. You can still do 25 - 30% meterless easy combos from it. And her glaive projectile is a mid that is only -3 on block, so you can cancel blocked strings into it to make them safe. There's no way to keep her block strings safe in her other variations as far as I know.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
The more I play mournful, the more it actually feels like the best variation. You can still do 25 - 30% meterless easy combos from it. And her glaive projectile is a mid that is only -3 on block, so you can cancel blocked strings into it to make them safe. There's no way to keep her block strings safe in her other variations as far as I know.
I've been saying this... but nobody believes me! I love RS though, so I will never give it up lol

Status
Not open for further replies.