What's new

Kenshi Living Guide

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Best Strings/Normals:

* :l:bp - A quick(er) overhead. +2 on block.

* :fp:fp:bk - Another fast string that creates space. Can follow up on hit in open space with :d:r:bk or :l:r:bp. Also an important part of his corner combos.

* :r:bp:bp:l:fp - Three hit string that launches, cannot be crouched, safe on block. Your best punisher. The last hit of this string has a hitbox that extends WAY behind you, so it can't really be jumped if you whiff the first two hits for some reason.

* :r:bp:bp:l:bp - Three hit string ending in an overhead so it must be blocked standing and everything leading up to the overhead cannot be ducked. Ends in :l:bp so it is +2 on block.

* :r:fk:bp - Two hit string starting with a low, with the last hit being special cancelable. Usually used inside combos, but there are some decent combos starting with this string. You'll be training your opponent to block standing just by doing your thing so this is good to catch them off guard.

* :bp:fp:l:bp - Fast, safe string with great range. Last hit is an overhead that launches, can be followed up with :d:l:fp into combo in open-space and anything else in the corner.

Specials:

* Spirit Charge :)l:r:bp) - FAST special. With the same startup as Raiden's Electric Fly, this will beat a lot of moves clean. Very difficult for most characters to whiff punish. Also fully invincible when used as a wake-up move and functions as an anti-air when done late. In close, it is punished only by the fastest normals in specials in the game and at max distance it is safe against everyone but Reptile. This is punished by full combo if jumped over.

* Rising Karma :)d:l:fp) - Upwards slash with the brainblade that launches. Used in mainly inside combos and as a good anti-air. Punished by combo of choice if blocked close, punished by fast special at max distance. There is a weird spot directly between the spirit sword and Kenshi where this move has absolutely no hitbox, resulting in a whiff when this is used as anti-air too late.

* Telekinetic Slash (close - :d:l:bk / mid - :d:r:bk / far - :d:l:r:bk) - Overhead slash that can be done at a variety of ranges. Fairly fast, and can shut down jump attempts remarkably well. Probably Kenshi's most useful special. DO NOT BE BRAINDEAD WITH THIS, it's not safe to whiff at closer ranges. However, it is safe on block, so you can use this to keep your opponent in check. Hits OTG and must be blocked standing. After ending a combo with Spirit Charge (or landing it naked) you can generally use the far variant to keep your opponent in line as you can use it before they can mash out a wake-up attack. Only fast, advancing wake-up moves will get out of it.

* Tele-Flurry :)l:r:fk) - Fast special that tracks the opponent anywhere on screen. You can use this to annoy your opponent at any range. Can be ducked, at which point you may threaten an overhead. Safe on block at all ranges, but punishable in close if ducked or jumped.

* Blade Reflect :)d:l:bp) - Projectile reflector. Fast start up and relatively quick recovery on whiff, and it reflects or deflects most projectiles, but has fewer active frames so it must be done late against slower projectiles.

:en Specials:

* :en Spirit Charge :)l:r:bp+:blk) - Still just as fast. This version has armor and has the same range as Ermac's TKP. Good anti-air.

* :en Rising Karma :)d:l:fp+:blk) - Safe on block and has armor. Good anti-air and solid wake-up. Combos off of this are surprisingly limited, however.

* :en Telekinetic Slash (close - :d:l:bk+:blk / mid - :d:r:bk+:blk / far - :d:l:r:bk+:blk) - Second hit allows for a follow-up, but this is basically a complete waste of meter.

* :en Tele-Flurry :)l:r:fk+:blk) - Same as regular Tele-Flurry, but with more hits and a knockdown. One of the additional hits cannot be ducked under, so there's that. This move isn't very useful.

* :en Blade Reflect :)d:l:bp+:blk) - Projectile absorption. Instead of reflecting them, you absorb them and gain health back.

:x Properties:
* Has a hit of armor, goes full screen and counters projectiles. This is good when it's for the win, and you know it will hit, but Kenshi gets buttplugged so bad by cross-ups, you should save your breaker otherwise.

Mid-screen Combos:

BnB:
:r:bp:bp:l:fp - dash - :r:fk:bp~:d:l:fp - dash - :r:fk:bp~:l:r:bp (35%)
:r:fk:bp~:d:l:fp - dash - :r:fk:bp~:l:r:bp (26%)
:bp:fp:l:bp~:d:l:fp - dash - :r:fk:bp~:l:r:bp (31%) (credit to Altaire for reminding me this exists)

Stricter timing:
:r:bp:bp:l:fp - dash - :r:bp:bp:l:fp - dash - :r:bp:bp:d:l:fp - dash - :r:bp:bp:l:bp (41%) (originally posted by Quan shiiii)

Corner Combos: (more to come)

Corner BnB/Punishers:
:r:bp:bp:l:fp, :bp, :bp:fp:l:bp, :fk~:d:l:fp, :fp:fp:bk~:d:l:fp, :d:fp~:l:r:bp (originally posted by Konqrr)
:r:bp:bp:l:fp, :bp:fp:l:bp, :r:bp:bp~:d:l:fp, :fp:fp:bk~:l:r:bp (41%) (given to me by Altaire)

Low Starter:
:r:fk:bp~:d:l:fp, :r:bp:bp:l:fp, :fp:fp:bk~:l:r:bp (32%) (originally posted by SektorCyrax)
:r:fk:bp~:d:l:fp, :fp:fp:bk~:d:l:fp, :fp:fp:bk~:l:r:bp (31%) (originally posted by SektorCyrax)
:r:fk:bp~:d:l:fp, :bp:fp:l:bp~:l:r:bp (28%) (originally posted by Xess & Kung Fu Jesus)

Overhead String Starter:
:bp:fp:l:bp, :bp:fp:l:bp, :r:bp:bp~:d:l:fp, :fp:fp:bk~:l:r:bp (35%) (originally posted by SektorCyrax)
:bp:fp:l:bp, :bp:fp:l:bp~:d:l:fp, :fp:fp:bk~:l:r:bp (33%) (originally posted by SektorCyrax)
:bp:fp:l:bp, :r:bp:bp:l:fp, :fp:fp:bk~:d:l:fp, :fp:fp:bk~:l:r:bp (38%) (originally posted by Kung Fu Jesus)

:en Corner Combos:
:r:bp:bp:l:fp, :bp:fp:l:bp, :fk~:en:d:l:fp, :fp:fp:bk~:l:r:bp (42%) (given to me by Kung Fu Jesus)

Situational Combos: (more to come)

AA :fp, :r:fk:bp~:d:l:fp, :r:bp:bp:l:bp (25%) or: :r:bp:bp~:x (34%) (originally posted by RollTide8569)
:u:fp / :bp - dash - :r:fk:bp~:d:l:fp - dash - :r:fk:bp~:l:r:bp (27%)

The "Reset":
In any combo anywhere on screen involving :r:fk:bp, you can delay it slightly and use it to hit your opponent OTG. It is 100% blockable, but if they don't block, they take the hit and the combo starts again. See: :r:bp:bp:l:fp - dash - :r:fk:bp~:d:l:fp - dash - (delayed) :r:fk. If they don't block the second :r:fk, they are in a brand new combo and you simply continue from there. If they do block the delayed :r:fk, then you stop. Example: :r:bp:bp:l:fp - dash - :r:bp:bp:l:fp - dash - (blocked) :r:fk, (blocked) :r:bp:bp:l:bp.

The Lockdown: (originally posted by shinzo123)

(Best done in the corner) After your opponent blocks :r:bp:bp:l:bp you have frame advantage. If your opponent goes for a button after blocking the string, you can stuff them with :d:fp, :d:fk or :d:bk and go right back into the string.

:d:bk:

This is a good poke. Decent range, and on hit gives you enough advantage for a guaranteed :r:bp:bp:l:bp or :r:bp:bp:l:fp depending on whether your opponent blocks the :r:bp:bp or not. Use this.

The Strategy:

Kenshi has a lot of options. Solid anti-air options between Rising Karma and Telekinetic Slash, and both Spirit Charge and Tele-Flurry provide that same functionality if you do them late. He's quite good at pressure, zoning, counter-zoning, he also comes with a real 50/50 mixup and the amazing ability to get absolutely face-raped by cross ups. Oh, yeah:

For everything in Kenshi's arsenal, there are zero anti-cross up options, so you have to get good at avoiding them with the generic tools. The universal cross up punish is jump-back kick. Learn this, no excuses. Your opponent also can't cross you up if you're crossing them up, but be prepared that a cross up is unlikely to have the same kryptonite-like effect on them as it does you. As bad as regular cross ups are, it's particularly shitty on wake-up. You have to learn how to maneuver around them; waking up is not where you want to be with this character.

You're inherently awful at dealing with your opponent's pressure as Kenshi as well. That's just the nature of this particular beast. Also, you must know your spacing. Now for the good stuff:

Every time you hit your opponent with a Spirit Charge, they're going to have to work their way through an obstacle course of Tele-Flurries, Telekinetic Slashes, Rising Karmas and more Spirit Charges just to get back to you. It can be absolute hell for them. But it's on you to determine which tool is the correct option for the situation.

Your pressure is good too. Mercilessly spam both of your :r:bp:bp strings for blind justice. After a blocked :r:bp:bp:l:bp, you have enough advantage to immediately perform a Spirit Charge and only Reptile can interrupt it, everyone else must block it. They cannot attempt to jump it either. If they don't respect this and they get hit, you get to laugh as they're rezoned and have to run the obstacle course again. Once the spankings teach them the lesson, you can follow-up your :r:bp:bp:l:bp string with :d:bk/:d:fp, then repeat the string again.

Kenshi is at an extreme advantage versus a cornered opponent as well. You have them in sort of a 50/50 just by being there. Stay at Spirit Charge's max-range to keep it safe against everyone (except Reptile). If they do anything but block, there's a 90% chance that Spirit Charge will completely stuff everything they do. If they try to jump over one as they do it, you answer with Rising Karma into a combo and start the whole thing over again. You can alternatively use the close Telekinetic Slash as anti-air as well. You don't get a combo on hit, but it's completely safe on block.

Your biggest worry in the corner should be wake-up attacks. Learn to bait them.

It's also important to note that Kenshi has a ton of overheads. Your opponent will be trained to block high, so you should sneak in an :r:fk:bp when you can. The string is safe and hit confirmable, so you really don't have much to lose by doing it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hex

Noob
A great addition I haven't seen before would be a list of all his overheads.
I've heard there are many, but I'm only aware of b2.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
A great addition I haven't seen before would be a list of all his overheads.
I've heard there are many, but I'm only aware of b2.
I'm away from my Xbox, can't double check, off the top of my head, the only overheads are :l:bp and Telekinetic Slash.

what's the best punisher string?

and best anti-air combos?
Best punisher is any BnB combo. For punishing moves that, while unsafe, recover too quickly hit them with :r:bp:bp:l:fp~combo, you might have to settle for :bp:fp~:d:l:fp - dash - :bp:fp~:l:r:bp

For AA, it probably varies from the range/height at which you land anti-air (which in this instance is :d:l:fp). Again, away from my Xbox, can't check anything right now, but you maybe able to follow it up with a :r:bp:bp:l:fp, or a :bp:fp~:d:l:fp, or just an :l:r:bp. Stuff like this will come out and fill the "situational combos" section when more Kenshi technology is discovered in the next few days.

So I'm thinking how we operate this is with players asking questions about aspects of playing Kenshi, and getting answers, and other players volunteering credible and absent information to this guide, while I update the original post weekly, making adjustments to the update schedule as need be for vitally important/lack of information (should the thread slow). Sound good?

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Anyone who brings me some meterless corner combos starting from :r:fk gets it posted in the OP with a shoutout.

Xess

Noob
Anyone who brings me some meterless corner combos starting from :r:fk gets it posted in the OP with a shoutout.
f+3,2~db+1,f+3,2~bf+2 =26%, or after db+1 you can end with f+2,2,b+2 for the same amount of damage, choose based on preference

Haven't seen this combo posted yet:
Cornered opponent, 21b+2, f22b+1, 114~db1, 114~bf2. I'm at work right now but I'm pretty sure this one does 34% on a crouch blocking opponent, 38% if you connect the whole thing.

Also in the corner:
F32~db1, 21b2~bf2 for 28%, 30 if you use en bf2

I'm away from my Xbox, can't double check, off the top of my head, the only overheads are :l:bp and Telekinetic Slash.

Actually that is incorrect. I BELIEVE the third hit of his 2,1,b2 string is an overhead. In fact, you even have it in your guide haha.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Haven't seen this combo posted yet:
Cornered opponent, 21b+2, f22b+1, 114~db1, 114~bf2. I'm at work right now but I'm pretty sure this one does 34% on a crouch blocking opponent, 42% if you connect the whole thing.

Also in the corner:
F32~db1, 21b2~bf2 for 28%, 30 if you use en bf2
Good first post. You're in the thread now.

Actually that is incorrect. I BELIEVE the third hit of his 2,1,b2 string is an overhead. In fact, you even have it in your guide haha.
Haha, yeah. I just updated it this morning.

So, anyone who contributes anything at all that's not already mentioned in here gets credit for it. Always looking for combos of any kind, everyone. Go nuts and post up if you've got some stuff that's not featured in the guide. How situational/impractical it is doesn't matter, it's all about information.

We should probably get some :en and :x combos in this thread.

Xess

Noob
So, anyone who contributes anything at all that's not already mentioned in here gets credit for it. Always looking for combos of any kind, everyone. Go nuts and post up if you've got some stuff that's not featured in the guide. How situational/impractical it is doesn't matter, it's all about information.

We should probably get some :en and :x combos in this thread.
Is my combo not already in the guide? I'll look through again

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Yeah, it doesn't look like Kenshi has particularly high damage opportunities off his lows in the corner at this point.

this thread is shaping up! Good Stuff Vilen!

could you put sum % damage after the combos please?

for the anti air combo, i was talking about when they jump at you and you jab them out of the air with Attack 1 followed by whatever for an AA combo. When i get back in the lab i'll try to find a good one for us all to use.

I think Kenshi has a johnny cage style lock down thats easy to escape but its tricky to know you're even in it.

Kenshi can repeat

F22B2 D1, D3, or, D4 and after each option you can have a different follow up.

after D1 you can go back into F22B2
after D3 you can throw or F22B2
D4 you can go right to a B2

Lemme know what you guys think.

i found for overhead combo starters in the corner you can do

21b2 21b2~risingkarma 114~spiritcharge for 33%

and for the low(s)

f32~risingkarma f22b1 114~spiritcharge for 32% (timings a little tight for the last 114 string but if your just underrneath your opponent while doing f22b1 it should be do-able)

or f32~risingkarma 114~risingkarma 114~spiritcharge for 31% (timing is a bit tight for the last 112)

back from the lab:

if you get an angled jump punch against someone in the air, you can do rising karma F22B2 for 16% or cancel the F22 into X-ray for 26%

basic anti air combo i was messing with: aa1, F32xxrising karma F22B2 for 25% or w/ F22xxX-ray it is 34% (this was tested while they are jumping straight up in training mode but it should work against jump-ins during vs. play)

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
could you put sum % damage after the combos please?
Working on it.

I think Kenshi has a johnny cage style lock down thats easy to escape but its tricky to know you're even in it.

Kenshi can repeat

F22B2 D1, D3, or, D4 and after each option you can have a different follow up.

after D1 you can go back into F22B2
after D3 you can throw or F22B2
D4 you can go right to a B2

Lemme know what you guys think.
Okay, thank you for this. I'm going to test this stuff personally later so I can get a better handle on it when I do a write up for the guide.

i found for overhead combo starters in the corner you can do

21b2 21b2~risingkarma 114~spiritcharge for 33%

and for the low(s)

f32~risingkarma f22b1 114~spiritcharge for 32% (timings a little tight for the last 114 string but if your just underrneath your opponent while doing f22b1 it should be do-able)

or f32~risingkarma 114~risingkarma 114~spiritcharge for 31% (timing is a bit tight for the last 112)
Awesome contribution! You're in the guide.

back from the lab:

if you get an angled jump punch against someone in the air, you can do rising karma F22B2 for 16% or cancel the F22 into X-ray for 26%

basic anti air combo i was messing with: aa1, F32xxrising karma F22B2 for 25% or w/ F22xxX-ray it is 34% (this was tested while they are jumping straight up in training mode but it should work against jump-ins during vs. play)
An equally excellent contribution. You're going in the guide when I'm done writing this.

You guys have been really fantastic with this, I, all Kenshi players and (hopefully) the community thank you. Now I'm not going to be on my Xbox for the rest of the night, so whoever brings me the most practical and/or damaging (first come first serve) combo involving an :en Telekinetic Slash to extend the combo gets to be the guy who actually started the :en combo section.

After air-to-air j.:fp / :bp:
:r:fk:bp~:d:l:fp, :r:bp:bp:l:bp (25%) or: :r:bp:bp~:x (34%) (originally posted by RollTide8569)
that one is actually 1, F32xxDB1, F22B2 (i'm standing and opponent jumps in, then press 1 to stop their jump attack and start the juggle)

sorry for the confusion sir! thanks for the mention btw

You guys have been really fantastic with this, I, all Kenshi players and (hopefully) the community thank you. Now I'm not going to be on my Xbox for the rest of the night, so whoever brings me the most practical and/or damaging (first come first serve) combo involving an :en Telekinetic Slash to extend the combo gets to be the guy who actually started the :en combo section.
I got a fun and practical one for you. It's a corner setup, and although it does less than one might expect from a corner combo, it's extremely useful because it BEGINS with an :en TK Slash. The reason this is good is that this is part of Kenshi's corner trap, where the opponent has to figure out if it's better to advance and risk eating a shoulder, jump and risk eating a slash, or stay put and risk getting mixed up with lows, overheads, and grabs. This way, if they go for the jump out (a very, VERY common reflex to being trapped), they get nailed with a move that you can juggle for 29%. This is doubly useful for the fact that it has armor, meaning you can poke with a string, and then slightly delay the slash and if they try to hit you out of it, the armor takes the hit.

Combo:
db+1+blk, d+1, db+1, 3, bf+3, 3, bf+2 = 29%

The timing for the final standing 3 is a little tight, but easy to get down with just a few minutes practice. And removing that 3 to go straight from TK Flurry to TK Shoulder only drops the damage by 2% and makes the timing so easy I think it's reliable online.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
that one is actually 1, F32xxDB1, F22B2 (i'm standing and opponent jumps in, then press 1 to stop their jump attack and start the juggle)

sorry for the confusion sir! thanks for the mention btw
Fixed. And it's no problem man. Thanks for the correction.

I got a fun and practical one for you. It's a corner setup, and although it does less than one might expect from a corner combo, it's extremely useful because it BEGINS with an :en TK Slash. The reason this is good is that this is part of Kenshi's corner trap, where the opponent has to figure out if it's better to advance and risk eating a shoulder, jump and risk eating a slash, or stay put and risk getting mixed up with lows, overheads, and grabs. This way, if they go for the jump out (a very, VERY common reflex to being trapped), they get nailed with a move that you can juggle for 29%. This is doubly useful for the fact that it has armor, meaning you can poke with a string, and then slightly delay the slash and if they try to hit you out of it, the armor takes the hit.

Combo:
db+1+blk, d+1, db+1, 3, bf+3, 3, bf+2 = 29%

The timing for the final standing 3 is a little tight, but easy to get down with just a few minutes practice. And removing that 3 to go straight from TK Flurry to TK Shoulder only drops the damage by 2% and makes the timing so easy I think it's reliable online.
Actually, that combo starts with an :en Rising Karma. :en Telekinetic Slash is :d:l:bk+:blk/:d:r:bk+:blk/:d:l:r:bk+:blk. You're in the guide now, however.

---------------

Okay guys, so I added a couple combos, corrected a few things and filled out the :en specials section. Still looking for combos involving :en Telekinetic Slash in the corner. Also a section explaining the :r:fk reset/OTG.

I'm really thrilled with the way this guide is coming together. Big thanks to all the contributors.

Fixed. And it's no problem man. Thanks for the correction.

Actually, that combo starts with an :en Rising Slash. :en Telekinetic Slash is :d:l:bk+:blk/:d:r:bk+:blk/:d:l:r:bk+:blk. You're in the guide now, however.

---------------

Okay guys, so I added a couple combos, corrected a few things and filled out the :en specials section. Still looking for combos involving :en Telekinetic Slash in the corner.

I'm really thrilled with the way this guide is coming together. Big thanks to all the contributors.
Actually, that was a typo on my part. It actually should be a db+4+blk. 29% for the full combo, 27% if you drop out the final standing 3 for reliability.