What's new

Kano Changes 5/20/11

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
That's true, but again, even with that in mind, the cannonballs were still good at their specific purposes, such as for punishment and being a fast move to check opponents with. And air cannonball worked very well as a projectile punisher. Kano was fine back then. He was good, and heavily unexplored. Why buff him where he doesn't really need it? That's what's so baffling about that particular change.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Im not the biggest fan of the new up ball either. It was enjoyable using the old one with its risks trying to punish shit or guessing right on there mix up it was more rewarding.

I would of liked to see other buffs like the last hit of his b112 hitting overhead its basically the same animation as b2 already. I would of liked to also get b2 maybe a couple frames faster but that's just wishful thinking on my part.Also faster whiff recovery for air ball but not on block so he can get around the screen a little safer but again wishful thinking.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I do agree with you there, his b3f2 was the main thing I was excited for. The faster recovery for the up ball is nice, and it's rendered it slightly better than Johnny's flip but I wouldn't say it's made him all that much different. What I think he currently has gives him a sheer advantage right now is his x-ray.

His x-ray is going to get nerfed, there's no foreseeable way that it won't be. 41% unblockable with armor is pretty downright ridiculous. It's easy to avoid once you learn to jump it, but there's just so many instances where he can use it. He's the only character that I'll actually decide not to use a breaker for.

Yeah, B2 would be nice with a little bit faster frames, but oh well. He's still got a pretty nice mix up game.

Zebster

How's my volume?
His x-ray is going to get nerfed, there's no foreseeable way that it won't be. 41% unblockable with armor is pretty downright ridiculous. It's easy to avoid once you learn to jump it, but there's just so many instances where he can use it. He's the only character that I'll actually decide not to use a breaker for.
Well the thing is you don't have a guaranteed way to land the X-Ray, ever, so it isn't THAT great.

GNG Iniquity

Well the thing is you don't have a guaranteed way to land the X-Ray, ever, so it isn't THAT great.
I land it I'd say 85% of the time, it'll also go through certain moves such as Sub Zero's slide. Kung Lao's spin will deny it, though. I believe it goes through Liu Kang's x-ray, as well, I'll have to test that again.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Kano's X-Ray is not that great. Yes, the damage is high, but there's no true way to set it up or guarantee it lands. It is also slow enough to really react to.

GNG Iniquity

Kano's X-Ray is not that great. Yes, the damage is high, but there's no true way to set it up or guarantee it lands. It is also slow enough to really react to.
The x-ray if used against Sub-Zero's slide is a guranteed land. I see the intent of the x-ray to be used to punish, like his balls are used. I haven't tested every character's moveset yet, since I don't have a spare controller nor does the training mode function as it should which is unfortunate. I hope we can compile a research thread on the subject in the near future, though.

Kano also has a stagger combo, which will guaranteed a land as well, since all you can do once staggered is block.

Helter Skelter

CHIPPINGxTRAPPINGxZONING
I'm not salty. It legit was unnecessary.

Kano was already a good character without the upball change. His projectile is fantastic...it's fast enough to the point where a lot of characters can't keep up, and he builds meter fast with it. His cannonballs already punished stuff well. He was already fine to begin with. People just whined about the character being bad without exploring him. I'm not the only one who feels this way about upball.
Exactly, it was a legitimately good anti-air move and his main combo ender. If you wanted a safe on block wakeup attack, he had Choke.

Now it's some easy mode BS safe on block uppercut. If you're not part of the extremely small minority of characters that can punish it properly then it really isn't punishable at all. Oh, and don't tell me to throw. A throw is not guaranteed and if that throw isn't instant you just get another UpBall in the mouth.

He's dumb now. The low starter and overheads being overheads was all he needed.

New kano ball breaks this character.

Feeling pressured? Up ball.

Getting crossed up? Up ball.

They block a string and want to attack you? Up ball.
And each time they get hit, they are eating 11% life.

Kano requires little to no thought now - just wait, I'll show how broken he is next time I play in a tournament(if changes are still there).

REO

Undead
Kano is pretty easy mode right now, he takes virtually no risk at all up close while delivering lots of pressure simultaneously. Safe low launcher, safe overhead, braindead anti-air, safest projectile in the game, safe wake-up and tool used to check people against 95% of the cast. I'll be using Kano as my secondary along with Ermac since these two characters are extremely easy to pick up and very effective without much practice.

I still find it laughable they buffed Kano over Jax, but whatever NRS, do your thing.

Sequel

Boob Titbot
Kano is pretty easy mode right now, he takes virtually no risk at all up close while delivering lots of pressure simultaneously. Safe low launcher, safe overhead, braindead anti-air, safest projectile in the game, safe wake-up and tool used to check people against 95% of the cast. I'll be using Kano as my secondary along with Ermac since these two characters are extremely easy to pick up and very effective without much practice.

I still find it laughable they buffed Kano over Jax, but whatever NRS, do your thing.
RIP Kung Lao. HELLO KANO!

My goal in this game is to abuse every single character until the entire cast is WRONGFULLY nerfed to the point where the game is a pile shit. Who's with me?

Loot

the special effects
Iirc, his 11 string staggers and you have a guaranteed xray

I know, he's so fun! :D

Also, his overhead, while good/safe, is very slow coming out.

Zebster

How's my volume?
Iirc, his 11 string staggers and you have a guaranteed xray
See, this is kinda why we need training recording. Alright, sorry to disappoint but that string doesn't give a true stagger state, they can cancel the animation out WAY before the X-Ray lands. Tom mentioned today on stream that Kano has no guaranteed way to land the X-Ray. He used to be able to do a stagger string into the X-Ray in Beta, but no longer can because of, as he says, "Yours Truly"

See, this is kinda why we need training recording. Alright, sorry to disappoint but that string doesn't give a true stagger state, they can cancel the animation out WAY before the X-Ray lands. Tom mentioned today on stream that Kano has no guaranteed way to land the X-Ray. He used to be able to do a stagger string into the X-Ray in Beta, but no longer can because of, as he says, "Yours Truly"
Let's hope they keep it that way.

Another tid-bit on the Xray: you can't bait Smoke's Xray and win anymore. He goes through your armor. /sadface.jpg

Mgt2

Noob
I'm not salty. It legit was unnecessary.

Kano was already a good character without the upball change. His projectile is fantastic...it's fast enough to the point where a lot of characters can't keep up, and he builds meter fast with it. His cannonballs already punished stuff well. He was already fine to begin with. People just whined about the character being bad without exploring him. I'm not the only one who feels this way about upball.
I have to agree with this. Upball buff is dumb and I main him. Forward FK is what I wanted and nothing else.

its 1 month into MK9...

kano is not as dumb as you think.. please.. PLEASE understand that w/o the ability to get consistent comp because of bad netcode ppl will over rate and under rate certain things..

please just play the game, i promise kano is not broke. he is S tier, not god tier.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
everyone tom is 100% correct read my sig.

also if your having trouble vs Kano learn how to use sindel, noob, subby, raiden and Kung lao.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jade101

Noob
They buffed Kano over Jax. I promise kano is broke likeKung Lao. whattheHELL buff Jax why buff Kano.WTF Jax is SHITWTF!

Gthunda866

Lazer Eye!
its 1 month into MK9...

kano is not as dumb as you think.. please.. PLEASE understand that w/o the ability to get consistent comp because of bad netcode ppl will over rate and under rate certain things..

please just play the game, i promise kano is not broke. he is S tier, not god tier.
Brady is so right here, no one can truly tell everything out yet, I dont even complain about Kung Lao, hell I cant even vs anyone anyways without a good netcode but even if you dont think it Brady is making the game better for everyone. All I want is that patch so I CAN play online

Oh please, I main Kano and he is so scrubby now it's like impossible to play him. Hes vanilla Sagat mixed with Kens LP Shoryuken from super but safer.
Start to punish the up ball which seems impossible atm and then you get me blocking and punishing your punish, he has every tool in the book atm. Slow his knife down, fix up ball and make him take skill.
Pretty much dropped him for Baraka just so I can have a challenge.
Know it is bad when I can just up ball spam 90% of cast and win with no sweat, if that ain't broke I don't know what is.

Anyone know what move punish that thing ? i play sub zero and although the matchup does look ok i guess. I can't punish up ball so i guess i could really get abused