What's new

K&M - "High Level" Matches

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
These sets kinda worry me a little. I just think the "Fatal Blow" mechanism could be anti-hype.

If we look at how FB is used in these fights.. I think it is showing a real issue in how matches are brought to a conclusion.

Remember FB becomes available when YOUR health drops...

Situation A
  • Round 3
  • No one has used FB
In this situation hurting your opponent is actually a huge disadvantage. As soon as they get to FB territory from you damaging them. They have FB and you don't and then they can one shot you. So in a Round 3, and both with FB up.. the person playing better is probably likely to loose more often. As they will drop the other down quicker, and in all fairness by they time you have FB up from them damaging you, you have done enough damage to them that your FB is going to one shot the person playing better. Or you bring them down to chip territory.

Situation B
  • Round 3
  • One player has FB, one player has spent it
In this situation, the person that has spent the FB is practically out of the running to win. If they play well, they face FB threat, while they do not have the ability to do the same back. It is basically the same situation as A, but if the FB dose not one shot kill, there is no answering FB risk. The person without FB is effectively fighting with 1/4 of the bar missing.

Last edited:

Jynks

Possibly.. it is to early to really tell.. but like any artificial catch up mechanism there is the issue that you are punished for playing better.

I mean look at all these matches in this video and really pay attention to FB and how strongly it dictates how the game will go.

Jynks

Have YOU seen more than 2 high level matches of this game? :DOGE
Look, the game is not even out yet. This is not the final build. Wait until 23rd of april to start betching.
There is a big difference between complaining and bitching and trying to discuss something that is worrying you a little. If you have read any of my posts since the reveal, you would know I am very pro MK11... Obviously we do not really no anything.. but just some logical thinking about FB does beg some questions. Just because I like what I see for the most part doesn't mean there are not aspects that seem off to me. Assuming people are not blinded by fandom discussing something isn't an attack, nor should concerns be dismissed as being trivial. If you do not agree with my "situations" I listed.. how about telling me what you think?

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
There is a big difference between complaining and bitching and trying to discuss something that is worrying you a little. If you have read any of my posts since the reveal, you would know I am very pro MK11... Obviously we do not really no anything.. but just some logical thinking about FB does beg some questions. Just because I like what I see for the most part doesn't mean there are not aspects that seem off to me. Assuming people are not blinded by fandom discussing something isn't an attack, nor should concerns be dismissed as being trivial. If you do not agree with my "situations" I listed.. how about telling me what you think?
I think the one left with fatal blow will be more likely to turtle and the one without will have to be more aggressive.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
At around 12:40 you can see what seems to be an air escape. Baraka was being juggled and just falls to the ground super fast.

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
Neutral is all about mind games. FB is not as safe as X-rays are. X-rays start with armor. You can stuff a FB before it even gets started because armor doesn't trigger until so many frames later. Not to mention it's a one shot deal. If it connects, it's done. If they whiff it or you block it, you can continue to bait it out after every cooldown, and chances are...

If you're using hold check on your Krushes, you can punish a whiffed FB with a Krush and do massive damage. I mean yeah, you'll see FB more often than x-rays. There are tools in place though to take advantage of an opponent you can bait one out of.

I think it'll be a fine mechanic honestly but if it becomes problematic they can always patch it to be one shot only, hit or miss.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Shouldn't we treat it as an x-ray though? Except here we have the opportunity to use CB's in a combo with the FB (I've heard Maximillian say this). I'm not sure if the damage scales down if it's used in a combo like the X-ray, but I don't think it will be that hard to counter the more we play. I'm guessing it can be blocked? And with the new rollout mechanic if the opponent gets you in a combo and has their FB you can avoid it that way. I feel like there are way too many things we don't know at this point and it's hard to get a clear picture of how a mechanic works without trying it out ourselves. I know watching pros use them tells us a lot, but using it ourselves gives us a lot of info too.

Important take-aways from that vid:

1)Specials themselves do not appear to be able to be used as wake-ups
2)AA and anti-crossover jabs/D1s/uppercuts seem to have made a return.

As it stands, I'm not too hot on the implementation myself. Nothing to do with anti-hype or anti-comback though. It doesn't seem to be well integrated with other mechanics. It's just, "your health is at 30%, you have this thing now. If you miss, you'll have it again." Feels like it's missing this layer that ties it together with other aspects of the fight, like betting meter to Clash in Injustice. Maybe something like you can only Fatal Blow if you get hit with 3 Krushing Blows? That way I can choose to do less damage and rob you of your Fatal Blow, similar to keeping combos Unclashable? I dunno, I just want it to be better integrated.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
As it stands, I'm not too hot on the implementation myself. Nothing to do with anti-hype or anti-comback though. It doesn't seem to be well integrated with other mechanics. It's just, "your health is at 30%, you have this thing now. If you miss, you'll have it again." Feels like it's missing this layer that ties it together with other aspects of the fight, like betting meter to Clash in Injustice. Maybe something like you can only Fatal Blow if you get hit with 3 Krushing Blows? That way I can choose to do less damage and rob you of your Fatal Blow, similar to keeping combos Unclashable? I dunno, I just want it to be better integrated.
I think what they’re going for is letting you have more options more often, rather than limiting all of your cool stuff. So there will be more enhanced moves, more big moments, etc., just to make the overall matches more exciting.

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
I think what they’re going for is letting you have more options more often, rather than limiting all of your cool stuff. So there will be more enhanced moves, more big moments, etc., just to make the overall matches more exciting.
In other words. MOAR MOAR MOAR MOAR :DOGE

These sets kinda worry me a little. I just think the "Fatal Blow" mechanism could be anti-hype.

If we look at how FB is used in these fights.. I think it is showing a real issue in how matches are brought to a conclusion.

Situation A
  • Round 3
  • No one has used FB
In this situation hurting your opponent is actually a huge disadvantage. As soon as they get to FB territory from you damaging them. They have FB and you don't and then they can one shot you. So in a Round 3, and both with FB up.. the person playing better is probably likely to loose more often. As they will drop the other down quicker, and in all fairness by they time you have FB up from them damaging you, you have done enough damage to them that your FB is going to one shot the person playing better. Or you bring them down to chip territory.

Situation B
  • Round 3
In this situation, the person that has spent the FB is practically out of the running to win. If they play well, they face FB threat, while they do not have the ability to do the same back. It is basically the same situation as A, but if the FB dose not one shot kill, there is no answering FB risk. The person without FB is effectively fighting with 1/4 of the bar missing.
Lmao!

RyuKazuya

Jesus is my Lord and Savior!
Am I really the only one not worried about FBs at all?

Situation A
  • Round 3
  • No one has used FB

Situation B
  • Round 3
I cannot understand the outrage at all. FBs dont even seem to have invincible frames or armor. So why would it be such a danger? In Tekken we would get Ragearts every round and we all were fine with it.

Just wait until we get more information.