What's new

Joystick Vs D-pad

Mothmonsterman0

Mortal Kombat is NOT dead.
Alright, i don't know if someone has already asked this, or not but I'm gonna ask anyway!

So i was wondering ( mostly when i was learning Rain, since i kept doing his teleport when i was trying to do combos) what do most people use to fight with? The D - pad, the Joystick, or do more people have fight pads?

I personal use the D - pad , it just feels better to me, but with players like Shang Tsung, and other players that have 3 input moves like his sol steal I think it may be easyer to just wip the joy stick, instead of mirco managing a tiny Xbox D - pad

Im 100% D- Pad but when I I'm not completely broke all the time, I'm going to buy a fight-stick to try it out

What do you do?

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
xbox pads are HORRIBLE. the D-PAD on it is disgusting, but i cannot afford anything better right now. Cannot think of any reason to use analogue sticks though for anything except fps or driving games, for anything that requires specific input execution the d-pad will be the best bet.

As soon as i can get the funds i will get a converter and then i will be using this beauty once again:
http://psxdata.snesorama.us/images/pads/pad1.jpg

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
I swore by the ps dpad. But out of sheer curiosity, I Bought a fight stick and never looked back. Much more fun imo. Bit of a learning curve at first if you've never played on one, but Soooo much fun. Just my $.02

-b_s- :headbang:

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel
It has an analog stick and a d-pad for a reason, use them simulteniously. D-pad for double forward/backward inputs and the analog for quarter circles (df is easier if done with a quarter circle, ya know) and for back-forward things.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
It has an analog stick and a d-pad for a reason, use them simulteniously. D-pad for double forward/backward inputs and the analog for quarter circles (df is easier if done with a quarter circle, ya know) and for back-forward things.

seriously though, you do that?

ELC

Scrublord McGee
I would do this if the Analog Stick didn't register the slightest degree off of a orthogonal motion as a diagonal motion.

Though, for games that allow it, the Analog Stick is really nice for TK HCF and TK HCB

Fenro

Nordic myth
I am at the moment ranked as 1st MK player in Finland and i use a PAD also Finland´s 2 most renowned tekken players use pad. There are games which have "tricks" that are just insanely hard to pull off with a pad but mortal kombat 9 isn´t one of them. I can do for example johnny Cages B3, dash 2, dash 2, dash 2, dash 44xxNutpunch with 95% success ratio which some deem to be way to hard to pull off with a pad. But in the end it just revolves around the users anatomy, some people have allot better adaptation to pad because of their thumbs shape (Not kidding this is 100% true) If you intend to get a stick be ready to learn all from anew, it might be a great decision or it might be a total waste of your time. But if you feel the need to try it by all means go ahead i know some people that have improved as fighters just because they changed from pad

JacopeX

Playing: Injustice, Persona, Blazblue, and MK
I use 360 d pad for everything.

But thinking of getting a fightpad or a stick now that I am thinking of getting more serious with SF, BlazBlue, etc. But MK, I just want that arcade feeling so yeah. Time to get to work with hori. :p lol

doomfarmer

unorthodox
I play on xbox. That controller is horrible to start playing on... but not TOO bad after you know what you're doing. It's still the worst option.

My main pad was always the HoriPad EX2 Turbo... but i've gone through 2 of them now in the span of 4 months or so. Great d-pad, the best IMO, awesome six button layout... but it's breaks so easily. If you have the cash to keep buying this controller (first one was 35 or 40 bucks, 2nd one was 30 due to a price drop) then that could be an option. My current horipad is playing fine.

When I ordered my latest Hori, I also ordered the etokki converter and a PS2 dual shock controller. If you can't use a stick, this may be your best bet. If you play on xbox it takes a min to get used to the PS2 pad, but it's pretty solid. The biggest bonus is that, you can bring this pad and your converter everywhere you go, and you'll always get to use your controller, no matter what system someone is playing on.

Finally, I have a PDP MK stick. This is my first stick, and when I first got it I didn't really care for it. Learning curve was too steep for what seemed like not a large payoff. Recently I ordered a new stick and buttons from paradise arcade and modded it (easy to do by the way). Now I can basically wave my hand over the layout and do a combo LOL. I'm still learning on it... but it feels awesome. You seriously cannot judge playing on a stick until you have the right parts in it. It makes all the difference.

At the end of the day, you really need to play on different options yourself and find what's right for YOU.

ELC

Scrublord McGee
I use 360 d pad for everything.

But thinking of getting a fightpad or a stick now that I am thinking of getting more serious with SF, BlazBlue, etc. But MK, I just want that arcade feeling so yeah. Time to get to work with hori. :p lol
Just noticed your avatar's art style. You a Giant in the Playground reader?

And so this is on topic, for a fightpad, I recommend either the Hori FC Pro, PDP Versus, or PS2 Neo Geo with converter. The first one is solidly built and readily available, the second is readily available with thumbpad, and the third is solidly built with thumbpad.

aj1701

Noob
I switched to a stick, and don't plan on going back. Its fun, but being able to use all fingers for the buttons I feel is great. Not going back to pad for mk ever, but I thinki do want to build my own hitbox with an mk layout. Everyone is different though, so find what works best for you. But I really recommend at least trying stick to be sure.

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel

seriously though, you do that?
People refuse using their pads like that so they just say it sucks. But it's actually pretty decent if you learn doing it the way I said. I got a stick out of sheer curiousity and I'm using it since though.

Warborn

Freebies for all
I've gotten so use to the xbox d-pad... I however just use a regular wireless controller. If I used one of those $30 wired controllers I should be getting better results?

Warborn

Freebies for all
That's what I've heard. PS2 pad is the way to go. I think I would like to try someone's before I invest into it.
As far as xbox controllers though wired d-pad > wireless d-pad ?

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
Well to me a stick or similar is needed for MK because of the need to press a lot of buttons at the same time.

If you play classic MKs, you'd have changed your preset to the klassic one, making it hella hard to do 2,4, 1+3, 2 Kung lao's string. (try pressin X and Triangle at the same time during a tight match, consistently). Even so, pressing 2 and 3 at the same time may be as well hard for other layouts. That's something one realizes when you plan on learning the whole cast.
Now, if you main Shang (like I do), then I'd suggest using a hitbox(mine isn't artwork finished, but it's useful), because it makes the 3 input motions a lot easier and natural (at least for a FPS gamer like myself).
MK may not be a very in-depth-y game, but it does have its stuff that makes you think twice.

Warborn

Freebies for all
Well to me a stick or similar is needed for MK because of the need to press a lot of buttons at the same time.

If you play classic MKs, you'd have changed your preset to the klassic one, making it hella hard to do 2,4, 1+3, 2 Kung lao's string. (try pressin X and Triangle at the same time during a tight match, consistently). Even so, pressing 2 and 3 at the same time may be as well hard for other layouts. That's something one realizes when you plan on learning the whole cast.
Now, if you main Shang (like I do), then I'd suggest using a hitbox(mine isn't artwork finished, but it's useful), because it makes the 3 input motions a lot easier and natural (at least for a FPS gamer like myself).
MK may not be a very in-depth-y game, but it does have its stuff that makes you think twice.

I agree with the button pressing, but I've never been good with an arcade stick. I always end up jumping when I don't want to or I am too slow with it. If I was to take the time to learn anything else it would definitely be a hitbox. Times are rough though, can't exactly drop that kinda cash on one at the moment....

I use the PDP stick. So good. IDK about any spacing issues. It's upped my game, 'cept for the fact that pressing 1 and 3 together to throw is much harder.

Until I get a 360-TO-PS3 adapter, I'm stuck using dualshock3 pad. Better than 360 pad, but still. Also, there's a learning curve with a stick. I was terrible the first few days, but now I'm better than ever. That said, the hutbox looks like it's the easiest way to do combos. I could probably land the u4 xx slide in CSZ's combos with a hitbox. .. huh. Still, the PDP Stick is great.

PS: DO NOT get the PDP VS Pad. The mini-microswitches it uses break very quickly. I'm talking about once a month quickly. For 40 USD. Ugh.