What's new

Jim Sterling: "Why Some Fans Feel Cheated by Mortal Kombat 11: Aftermath"

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
I think Jim covers the issue pretty well here and highlights the manipulative pricing game publishers use that have become this standardized norm. I'm going to pay the $40 for the Aftermath expansion because I'd like to enjoy the expansion stuff at release but part of me isn't comfortable with how WB has priced this whole thing out.

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
I am the last person to defend triple A studios, but I can't help but roll my eyes at people acting super indignant about this kind of thing in 2020. It is WELL known that the GOTY/Final/Collected/Whatever edition will always be a significant value compared to buying at launch and getting all the DLC/packs. It happened with MK9, MKX, Injustice 2, and so on. How are you acting surprised that it happened again?

If the difference in price really meant this much to you, you would have waited for it instead of getting angry online now.

I guess what really bothers me is when people start saying the GOTY edition or whatever has "devauled" their launch copy. Part of the value of buying at launch is being able to play the game for an entire year+ sooner than the people paying less. Other people getting a better deal on the content EVENTUALLY doesn't invalidate that you have been enjoying it for months already.

Whatever, the industry is full of so much rampant greed and mistreatment that I don't want to be defending anything they do. They can all hang. It just bugs me that people always seem to pick the worst fights.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
then there seems to be a failure based on the huge price difference and please dont pull up numbers out of your ass which even have nothing to do with the topic.
Huh? I’m russian lol. I know how many people plau steam in my country and literally a small fraction of people play MK on steam here. Mostly cause it gets patches too late and in here people have always played fightings on consoles. Tekken’s exception, cause its PS4 netcode’s shit. And yeah, the difference between console and pc game’s price here is huge. Nobody even buys game here, you can always bootleg games on pc. No online though

I don’t look at it as you get story mode, three characters and skins. I also included the stages, stage fatalities and friendships that you get also so all in all it’s a good deal and the more content the better

I just don't (fully) agree with the argument, and it's being brought up every year in relation to at least one or two games.

Disclaimer: I do think $30 is a bit more reasonable than $40.

1. What is it that you would like to happen? That they a full year ago said that we are going to release an expansion with more characters so that you then have the choice to wait a full year to play the game?
  2. Any developer and publisher don't fully know how well their investment is going to pay off. If MK11 bombed, the expansion would have ceased to exist and we'd only have KP1 as it was announced at launch. Pre-ordering is also a way for them to try and predict their future. Like Ed Boon recently said, as long as players are willing to pay for more content it makes sense to produce more.
  3. All the ranting about what edition of the game you got, that was your decision. You were never promised more when you got whatever edition you got. You bought what they sold you at the time, that was the price of what you were offered at release date. Not for infinite future content for free (you are actually getting some content for free, the stages, the stage fatalities, and friendships).
Anyway I doubt I'll convince anyone, just wanted to present my view on it. I've worked at a few developers and I know the risk, and the worry everyone feels before a game is launched etc. (which by the way is a tool they use -- through e-mails, company meetings etc. -- to get everyone to work insane hours and not complain).

I just don't (fully) agree with the argument, and it's being brought up every year in relation to at least one or two games.

Disclaimer: I do think $30 is a bit more reasonable than $40.

1. What is it that you would like to happen? That they a full year ago said that we are going to release an expansion with more characters so that you then have the choice to wait a full year to play the game?
  2. Any developer and publisher don't fully know how well their investment is going to pay off. If MK11 bombed, the expansion would have ceased to exist and we'd only have KP1 as it was announced at launch. Pre-ordering is also a way for them to try and predict their future. Like Ed Boon recently said, as long as players are willing to pay for more content it makes sense to produce more.
  3. All the ranting about what edition of the game you got, that was your decision. You were never promised more when you got whatever edition you got. You bought what they sold you at the time, that was the price of what you were offered at release date. Not for infinite future content for free (you are actually getting some content for free, the stages, the stage fatalities, and friendships).
Anyway I doubt I'll convince anyone, just wanted to present my view on it. I've worked at a few developers and I know the risk, and the worry everyone feels before a game is launched etc. (which by the way is a tool they use -- through e-mails, company meetings etc. -- to get everyone to work insane hours and not complain).

Art Lean

Noob
I am the last person to defend triple A studios, but I can't help but roll my eyes at people acting super indignant about this kind of thing in 2020. It is WELL known that the GOTY/Final/Collected/Whatever edition will always be a significant value compared to buying at launch and getting all the DLC/packs. It happened with MK9, MKX, Injustice 2, and so on. How are you acting surprised that it happened again?

If the difference in price really meant this much to you, you would have waited for it instead of getting angry online now.

I guess what really bothers me is when people start saying the GOTY edition or whatever has "devauled" their launch copy. Part of the value of buying at launch is being able to play the game for an entire year+ sooner than the people paying less. Other people getting a better deal on the content EVENTUALLY doesn't invalidate that you have been enjoying it for months already.
Exactly, and I can also offer perspective from the other side of it and how I've felt from being a late-in-the-day "GOTY Edition" purchaser on MKX. So although I'd been a fan of MK since the very beginning; owned all the spin-offs, the movie soundtracks, watched the TV show, had the official ring, bought a Dreamcast just for MKGold etc. etc. but had a big MK dark age following Armageddon (I'd really enjoyed Deception, especially its Konquest mode, but felt this was a real step down in quality) as I never owned any new system except the Wii from 2006 onwards (in fact as I've posted here before, never played MK9 until this Christmas past when it was on the Steam sale after I bought my first new PC in 12 years).

Then I had my son in 2010, then my wife and I split, then I was balancing being a dad and being single, games never came back into my life at all, until my son was around 4 and was teaching him things like Kirby on the old Wii. For Christmas after he was 6 he really wanted a PS4, so got him one after I looked at the options for a youngster like him and found there were a fair few fun games that were suitable for him to enjoy... then I ended up looking at all the things I'd missed out on too. Bought MKX in the PSN store sale for like, I dunno £10? It was pretty good fun and couldn't be bothered with its Krypt, so bought the "unlock the Krypt" add-on for I think £7.00. So I had MKX now with pretty much everything except a few skins that could only be unlocked through other weird means.

And because of that I've NEVER connected much with the game at all. I never explored it, never learned to understand the living towers, I'd thought the story was ok, but never completed it until really recently (literally last month). The fatalities were good fun after a rubbish day at work but that's about all I did with it. Without having to work and wait for anything, just having it all there, all at once, and having never "invested" in the game (be it financially or emotionally), I've never felt that proper connection with it. I feel like I just bought a lot of things that I then had no desire to continue playing for. I dunno, it's like playing a management game with the "unlimited resources" cheat on or something, what's the fun if there's no wait, work or reward? In browsing the PSN store, all the individual add-ons are still there available for purchase; the Predator skins pack, the Soviet pack, the Tanya character pack etc. and I'm disappointed I never played the game from its first release to have actually enjoyed all of those things being teased to me, waiting, unlocking (or indeed buying) and experiencing the growth of the game.

Yes MK11 has a LOT of really hideous character skins which are needless multiplied with even more hideous colour choices for them (each skin itself only really has one, maybe two colours choices that ever look "right" IMO, like as if you can tell what was the default version of the skin, then just used a nasty algorithm to recolour it in gaudy alternative options accordingly - e.g. Sonya's bright green aerobics skin Maximum Efficiency, prior to the release of the MK3 skin, was the only version I wanted of that design), and yes whilst it's a grind being randomly rewarded the ugly ones whilst you pursue the specifics you're after, I have however enjoyed my time unlocking them. I've enjoyed getting the new KP skins, I've enjoyed the bonus skins the KP has offered, I've enjoyed receiving my new characters a week early, I've enjoyed building my versions of characters over the last year to have a roster looking how I love them. I've enjoyed making my own Mortal Kombat 11 full of outfits and named variations that are 100% unique to my system, my personality and my style of play.

I know I'd ever have loved this game as much as I do (and would never have played it for so long) had I sat around waiting for the day when MK11: Komplete Edition is reduced to £9.99 and would just everything unlocked all ready for me at the point of purchase. I missed out on that on MKX and never connected with it because of that; I'm far far happier being along for the ride for MK11. And I've had a really rotten 18 months since the end of 2018, MK11's been like my old childhood friend (literally, I've been an MK fan since I was 10) who rang up to say "hey man, are you ok? Heard things were shit, I'm there for you!" and has allowed me to put a lot of stuff to the back of my mind whilst slicing heads off in the pursuit of a military beret for Sonya or that one perfect wooden bo staff for Jade to complete my character.

Does it mean I'm 100% happy with the cost of these things? Not necessarily, but I've paid it and that's my choice, this game's given me more joy than any other MK game in my life (and you have no idea how excited I was the day my dad brought home MK2 on the SNES for me in 1994!) and I'm looking forward to having more to enjoy. It's everyone's choice to wait and have it all given to them for one low price way down the line, but I'd have missed out on a lot of joy if I had, and from my MKX experience, I know that for a fact.

I guess what I'm saying is, I feel like I paid for sex with MKX and just felt empty afterwards. With MK11 I've built up a longterm loving relationship... I just have to occasionally pay for a nice meal out once in a while to keep the relationship going, and you know what, I'm fine with that :D

Last edited:

Slymind

Noob
The pricing structure is the problem. R$ 60,00 for the entire thing is not bad, R$ 40,00 just for the expansion is.

R$ 30,00 would be much more palatable.

I will probably get It because i really like the game, but if someone asked me, i certainly would say the expansion alone is not a good deal.

The pricing structure is the problem. R$ 60,00 for the entire thing is not bad, R$ 40,00 just for the expansion is.

R$ 30,00 would be much more palatable.

I will probably get It because i really like the game, but if someone asked me, i certainly would say the expansion alone is not a good deal.
^This sums it up well. I'm actually quite tempted to pick up the "Aftermath Kollection" for my Xbox One X, as I currently own the game on PC. The price is very appealing, but I don't want to take the time to unlock everything all over again! When I can get it for $20.00 Canadian (likely in a few years), then I'll bite there.

For the expansion itself, it's $49.99 + tax here in Canada. I personally feel for the content it offers a fair Canadian price tag would be $29.99 + tax.

Another thing I'm surprised no one has brought up yet is that part of the "Aftermath" expansion is "mystery" content. The three skin packs, unless I'm mistaken, they're unrevealed. For all we know, we're going to get nothing by Jacquie skins and "retro" space suit Cassie skins (obviously that won't happen, but you get my point).

ShadyHeart

Relationship with Sonya ended
What the hell, I look into this game again after hearing about aftermath and I get practically no discount for paying 100 dollars initially and new players get all I have plus the expansion for 60? This on top of the other highly questionable decisions they've made... I don't think I'm buying anything from Warner Bros/Netherrealm Studios until they show they care about anything other than milking their fans dry. I'm not holding my breath.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
That aftermathematics! Early adopters always get screwed, this is nothing new for any fan of any hobby. If you wait a year after launch for any game you will get the ultimate edition for 20 bucks lol. Maybe not Nintendo games which never drop for whatever reason.

As an early adopter you get the privilege of paying top dollar. Welcome to the way it’s been for 30 years. On the plus side, there will be a bunch of noobs to wreck. That year head start makes a big difference in fighting games.