What's new

Jade General Discussion Thread

Geoffmeister

PS4/EU Ermac main
Wew. Still goin.

On a different note, I'll share what I got from CB.

Conclusion on Jade being a truly viable tournament character:
It's debatable.

Fav game goes to Waz vs BigD, BigD had a "use the force" moment and turned it around at the last second. Later to show some contrast in (character/mirror) experience versing Dragon... who, earlier, lost to Waz' Jade pretty convincingly. It's unfair to rate players this early, so while I feel this tournament can neither disprove or prove how strong Jade actually is.... my thoughts on her MU's have not changed... at all.. which probably surprises whoevers reads this more than it does me. KP and Waz made it that far through sheer will. Props to them.

BUT, I've come to realize her weaknesses are more common outside S-tier characters, and that Jade is not as crippled as I figured her out to be. Actually a lot of characters have this balance/care put into them ... but S-tier is muddling that notion a bit.. and TPs .. (imo).
No one (even... me), is utilizing every essential tool Jade has at her disposal. So taking everything here into account, I'll be revising the MU's, and go into a bit more in depth. But this takes time, so.. it'd be cool if people cool it confusing "downplay" with "underestimating"... We're not without argument.

Alright, that's done. While labbing during/watching CB, I found some workarounds on my biggest complaints about Jade:
- She can't use flawless block u2: ... she doesn't have to... you can sometimes just flawless block and punish from there .. no bar... WHAT A SHOCKER..
- there's no use for B1: now this... is ... something..! For those who learned using this at max range (only to still die, but whatever), she can mitigate this risk by special-cancelling into a normal Rang... I was skeptical about this but if you can space it correctly, it actually provides some nice benefits.
update: it's meh

Which brought me to finding an actual reason to use f4... as anti-wake up tech... So y'know.. much more to explore. And big tings happening this week!

Last edited:

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
I assume you mean using f4 on the opponents wakeup? What's good about it?

Also i think Jade is perfectly viable but i still really don't like F2. I'm not galaxy brain enough to get much use out of it besides online spark "mixups".

seanpon

Noob
I mean, you could look at all the amazing Jade footage from Combo breaker and think, “Wow, maybe my character has tools that I’m just not maximising. Maybe I should study their gameplay and try and emulate their play style rather than complaining on an online forum about flaws which literally none of the top players see as major issues. Hmmm.”

Or you could continue to whine that nobody except yourselves understand the character and the struggle you’ve gone through keeping in mind the people who play her at top level don’t think she needs any extra buffs.

But whatever. Continue to spread your toxicity and “call out” everyone else while asking for Jade to have 30% meterless midscreen combos and a safe cancellable special that does hella chip and launches in the corner meterlessly.

Peeaaaaacccce
When did i ever ask for jade to have 30% meterless combos or a safe special? Stop putting words in my mouth... Go look through every single one of my posts and find me when i said this. Jade only needs one thing..... Have B3434 launch only for a shadow kick and she will be fine.

Elias6999

Mournful Master
What do you guys do when you knock down your opponents? lately I’ve been using EX air glaive and max range F21 to stuff wakeups, and when they stop using wakeups I dash in throw them. Is this a scrubby strategy or is it actually viable? I’ve had success stuffing wakeups with F21 and ex air glaive tbh, although forward roll is a problem for air glaive.

What do you guys do when you knock down your opponents? lately I’ve been using EX air glaive and max range F21 to stuff wakeups, and when they stop using wakeups I dash in throw them. Is this a scrubby strategy or is it actually viable? I’ve had success stuffing wakeups with F21 and ex air glaive tbh, although forward roll is a problem for air glaive.
If you're confident they're not going to wake up attack (no meter for example) dash in grab is definitely valid in my opinion. But it's pretty obvious, so dash in b343/f3 might be better a few times first to condition them to block on wake up, then mix it up with grab from there. It's a safer option than going for a grab immediately and getting called out on it.

If you're unsure if they're going to use a wake up attack you can take a gamble dashing in to grab/b3, or wait out the wake up to whiff and punish from there, but as Jade I typically toss out a projectile and re-establish space. It really depends on your opponents habits at that point.

When did i ever ask for jade to have 30% meterless combos or a safe special? Stop putting words in my mouth... Go look through every single one of my posts and find me when i said this. Jade only needs one thing..... Have B3434 launch only for a shadow kick and she will be fine.
That's a very interesting idea.
What do you think Jade would gain from that/why do you think she needs it?

I feel like there's a divide in the community when it comes to whether or not Jade is actually "good". Like most people see the cup as either half empty or half full in regards to Jade's viability. I personally think accepting both the good and the bad is key here to seeing where Jade really stands.

To me Jade's toolkit on paper is fantastic! Her range is some of the best in the game. Some of her buttons are considered the best in game. She has everything she needs to be an effect counter zoner neutral monster. Jade was designed for MK11.

However, once you land one her great ranged options, she doesn't get much out of it. Despite being able to win the spacing war 9/10 times, one stray hit from someone removes 30%+ of her life bar. And though this may seem like a fair trade for how easily she can space the opponent out. Out spacing your opponent 4+ times Vs one confirm to rack up just around 35% is agonizing.

Overall I think her reward need to be tweaked a bit so it's not constantly an uphill battle. Just enough so it doesn't feel like you're just slowly chipping away at someone's health for the entirety of the match. I think a good concept to design Jade's playstyle around is making her poke game do more damage than most characters. But her overall combo damage is awful in comparison to everyone else. Her stray hits now become more threatening, making her game plan actually effective, while also giving her a niche not many other characters perform. She doesn't need a ton of mix, or crazy damaging combos. Just good damage on her pokes. I think doing that and fixing her obvious issue like moves not connecting when they should, and Jade would be amazing.

seanpon

Noob
That's a very interesting idea.
What do you think Jade would gain from that/why do you think she needs it?
That could be a good way for Jade to get a punish, the weakest thing about her right now is her punish game. For some characters doing yolo unsafe moves against Jade isn't a big deal because they know Jade won't hit them for much at all. But at least being able to end this string in a shadow kick would give her a decent punish, not the greatest but I think it would be fair.

Above D'Vorah, Frost, Kotal and Shao that's already low-mid.
But again, it's early, we don't know.

At the same time, I'm seeing a lot of cases where Jade is getting away with murder because people don't know her frames.

Which is not to discredit the players themselves.
Glow is 12 frames of startup and then 44 frames before she can move.
Butterfly is -13 on block.
People just need to lab her instead of calling me, or anyone who says she needs some changes the worst evil in the world.
I've been in and out of this sight for a while now keeping up with Jade. I mained her in MK9 and maining her now. Literally every concern you brought up with her in every thread. I'm in agreement with you. I don’t want to address this from specific moves and frame data. To sum her up, I look at spacing, viable options, and damage, and what those three things are dependent on at any given point of the round. Her spacing when used right and when the opponent respect it, is really strong.in that regard she’s pretty strong even though it’s very likely the opponent will find a way in at some point. When it comes to her viable options when it comes to punishing,extending combos, and cashing out on damage, those are dependent on design choices and stage positioning. Therefore, she can have some success at keep away but she may find herself in a position that she could finish off the opponent but can’t simply because her best option does little damage whearas any other character in that situation would be much better off. In that regard, damage does matter. It doesn’t need to be high sick damage. To depend on the right position and opponent to make a bad decision or bad read just don’t make her an overall solid character for me. She’s situational. Yes pros did well with her but they still got dominated even though they’ve shown excellent spacing but as I pointed out, that’s just part of it and is her strongest tool and to gets violated at some point.thats not a knock on the jade players.she feels like she did in mk9. It took a lot of work and when you made all the right decisions at the right time and won, she looked pretty good. But when she ate all that close up pressure and had nothing to show for when she managed to land a hit, her weaknesses really stood out. I like many others just feel that she could use 1-2 more tweaks that would make her make more sense. Nothing major because we don’t want her to be broken. To have people come in and say she’s fine especially when they don’t main jade is odd.

Last edited:

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
I was obviously referencing Glortor, you just got tagged in the same post.

I actually think your suggestion is an interesting idea.

Maybe if they increased the gap to 9 frames and gave it a KB like Liu Kang’s. I could get behind a change like that; although I don’t think she needs it.

Phazael

It's Official. I Suck.
Speakingnpurely from an online play perspective, but Jade seems to be at a level other characters should be balanced around... with a couple tweaks. But the god tier needs to get adjusted to be closer to the bulk of the cast first.

As is, all I would change are three things, slightly, mostly concerning her specials.
Nitro kick- Amplified version should hit mid to make it a better read and punish option.
Parry- Dump the move and just have it apply a damage debuff like SKs taunt. This would add a strategic means of addressing her damage issues by allowing the playing field to be leveled. The existing parry is too telegraphed and inconsistent to bother with.
Glow- Make amped Glow cost a defense bar and have an instant startup. Its stupid how easily she gets zoned by certain projectiles and trading the anti juggle option for instant glow would be a nice strategic trade off.

Nerf wise, her air rang is a little too good against the balanced characters and needs a slight frame hit, but only after the s tier gets sorted out. Her hitbox is also arguably one of the wonkiest out there.

So nothing to radical, just strategic options with tradeoffs. I think she wil be mostly perfect once the S tier comes back down to earth, minus the horrific scorpion matchup issues. As bad as everyone wants a second launcher, I think it would make her too good. I want more mid range ches game and less poke into faceroll combo. Thats what the Shaolin guys are for. Jade should remain about reads and gambits.

seanpon

Noob
Speakingnpurely from an online play perspective, but Jade seems to be at a level other characters should be balanced around... with a couple tweaks. But the god tier needs to get adjusted to be closer to the bulk of the cast first.

As is, all I would change are three things, slightly, mostly concerning her specials.
Nitro kick- Amplified version should hit mid to make it a better read and punish option.
Parry- Dump the move and just have it apply a damage debuff like SKs taunt. This would add a strategic means of addressing her damage issues by allowing the playing field to be leveled. The existing parry is too telegraphed and inconsistent to bother with.
Glow- Make amped Glow cost a defense bar and have an instant startup. Its stupid how easily she gets zoned by certain projectiles and trading the anti juggle option for instant glow would be a nice strategic trade off.

Nerf wise, her air rang is a little too good against the balanced characters and needs a slight frame hit, but only after the s tier gets sorted out. Her hitbox is also arguably one of the wonkiest out there.

So nothing to radical, just strategic options with tradeoffs. I think she wil be mostly perfect once the S tier comes back down to earth, minus the horrific scorpion matchup issues. As bad as everyone wants a second launcher, I think it would make her too good. I want more mid range ches game and less poke into faceroll combo. Thats what the Shaolin guys are for. Jade should remain about reads and gambits.
Glow already has instant start up... You probably mean casting with defensive bar to reduce recovery frames... Tbh i think that would be a little cheap, its just as cheap as all the far teleports that some characters in this game have like cetrion and skarlet. Whats the point of walking these characters to the corner and then having them teleporting and having to do the same. Some characters have no option against that.

She should get an amplified edenian spark that's safe and does more damage; so she's not betting the farm every time she goes into a B1 50/50

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I feel like there's a divide in the community when it comes to whether or not Jade is actually "good". Like most people see the cup as either half empty or half full in regards to Jade's viability. I personally think accepting both the good and the bad is key here to seeing where Jade really stands.

To me Jade's toolkit on paper is fantastic! Her range is some of the best in the game. Some of her buttons are considered the best in game. She has everything she needs to be an effect counter zoner neutral monster. Jade was designed for MK11.

However, once you land one her great ranged options, she doesn't get much out of it. Despite being able to win the spacing war 9/10 times, one stray hit from someone removes 30%+ of her life bar. And though this may seem like a fair trade for how easily she can space the opponent out. Out spacing your opponent 4+ times Vs one confirm to rack up just around 35% is agonizing.

Overall I think her reward need to be tweaked a bit so it's not constantly an uphill battle. Just enough so it doesn't feel like you're just slowly chipping away at someone's health for the entirety of the match. I think a good concept to design Jade's playstyle around is making her poke game do more damage than most characters. But her overall combo damage is awful in comparison to everyone else. Her stray hits now become more threatening, making her game plan actually effective, while also giving her a niche not many other characters perform. She doesn't need a ton of mix, or crazy damaging combos. Just good damage on her pokes. I think doing that and fixing her obvious issue like moves not connecting when they should, and Jade would be amazing.
There's nothing I'd like more than constructive discussion but we have people come in here who shortly betray their own incompetence with claims that suggest they don't even understand fundamentals, or are simply hostile, or both. Or they saw a high level player do well with this character and wanted to let us know that we're wrong because they saw Waz or whoever else do well with her.

I made a whole post on what all could be better about her and a vocal minority started to attack me. That's TYM for you.

Facts are facts. Her frame data, her damage, her gaps, her lack of safety, her issues mainly of the risk she takes for tiny reward, speak for themselves.

Whether it's her who needs buffs or the much stronger characters need nerfs? NRS will decide.
I'll be here speaking the truth whether these hostile people like it, or not.

The problem isnt that there's a divide.

There's one guy flooding the forums with what he thinks is wrong with Jade, then suggesting radical changes to fix her. It goes from constructive to off the deep end really quickly.

It doesn't help that since day 1 he's attacked anyone who disagreed with him by questioning their ability to play or think. Literally this goes back weeks to this one person flaming everyone disagreeing with him.

Honestly everyone else has offered their suggestions and replied to criticism like a sane person, and that sort of discussion is great for the community.

Then theres Glortor.

seanpon

Noob

There's one guy flooding the forums with what he thinks is wrong with Jade, then suggesting radical changes to fix her. It goes from constructive to off the deep end really quickly.

It doesn't help that since day 1 he's attacked anyone who disagreed with him by questioning their ability to play or think. Literally this goes back weeks to this one person flaming everyone disagreeing with him.

Honestly everyone else has offered their suggestions and replied to criticism like a sane person, and that sort of discussion is great for the community.

Then theres Glortor.
Glortor has been a jade main forever, he has represented the character and fought for her since the MK9 days. Though I may not agree with him for everything he says, I have a lot of respect for him for doing so.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!

Then theres Glortor.
1. I wasn't attacking anyone, I was correcting -you- about being factually incorrect on numbers and mechanics. Politely at first, then as you started to throw shade at me, I started to pay less and less attention to you.

2. I could quote a number of people who also warned you that you're not only talking inaccurate nonsense but also doing it on a hostile tone but you seem to be the kind of person who dresses up as a clown and keeps calling everyone else a clown.

3. People like @THTB, or @Eldriken - reasonable and knowledgeable individuals I regularly talk to about this game - keep telling me to just let go and not defend my opinion so ardently, but as someone who's been battling for the truth for years, I'm not going to let your slander pass this one last time.

Need I remind you of the occasion where you said that everyone who disagrees with you, doesn't play Jade correctly? Right after THTB disagreed with you, no less.
Need I remind you that you were not aware of basic game mechanics, frame data or even just fighting game fundamentals just a couple weeks back, when you started to trash talk me out of nowhere?
Need I remind you that you were downright condescending BEYOND the scope of the above to other players while we were nothing but polite and patient with your optimistic "oh but look at the bright side" ravings on a forum meant to discuss frame data and game mechanics?

Feel free to disagree with me.
Hell, I've been wrong before getting rolled on by Black Adam and calling Starfire a bad character.
But you are decidedly in no position of moral superiority to try and character-assassinate someone with your track record of having no idea what you're even saying and doing so on a tone that'd get you smacked across the face in real life.

Grow a pair, dude.

1. I wasn't attacking anyone, I was correcting -you- about being factually incorrect on numbers and mechanics. Politely at first, then as you started to throw shade at me, I started to pay less and less attention to you.

2. I could quote a number of people who also warned you that you're not only talking inaccurate nonsense but also doing it on a hostile tone but you seem to be the kind of person who dresses up as a clown and keeps calling everyone else a clown.

3. People like @THTB, or @Eldriken - reasonable and knowledgeable individuals I regularly talk to about this game - keep telling me to just let go and not defend my opinion so ardently, but as someone who's been battling for the truth for years, I'm not going to let your slander pass this one last time.

Need I remind you of the occasion where you said that everyone who disagrees with you, doesn't play Jade correctly? Right after THTB disagreed with you, no less.
Need I remind you that you were not aware of basic game mechanics, frame data or even just fighting game fundamentals just a couple weeks back, when you started to trash talk me out of nowhere?
Need I remind you that you were downright condescending BEYOND the scope of the above to other players while we were nothing but polite and patient with your optimistic "oh but look at the bright side" ravings on a forum meant to discuss frame data and game mechanics?

Feel free to disagree with me but you are decidedly in no position of moral superiority to try and character-assassinate someone.

Grow a pair, dude.
Theres really nothing to assassinate. Anyone who spends any significant time on these forums knows what you are.

mrapchem

Noob
I play both characters. Scorp’s TP should hit high and not be able to AMP on block/whiff. This would do 3 things;
  • Stop random TP’s
  • Take away TP gimmicks
  • Force Scorpion players to use TP strategically
Sorry to further derail from the Jade strategy talk, but as a Scorpion player, I fully agree with this adjustment as well for the exact reasons described. Excellent post.