What's new

Is there any value to playing against the CPU?

EternityInBlack

Milly Vanilli
I understand that we need to master our combos and special move execution in Practice Mode, but I want to know if there's any value then to playing against the computer on the hardest difficulty? I know that they don't represent a human completely, as they can telegraph button inputs and react with ridiculous speeds, but I'm curious to see if anyone's actually considered this to be part of their training as a temporary substitute for real people, like in the event of the PSN outage or just not being around any tournaments.

Dark_Rob

Noob
I understand that we need to master our combos and special move execution in Practice Mode, but I want to know if there's any value then to playing against the computer on the hardest difficulty? I know that they don't represent a human completely, as they can telegraph button inputs and react with ridiculous speeds, but I'm curious to see if anyone's actually considered this to be part of their training as a temporary substitute for real people, like in the event of the PSN outage or just not being around any tournaments.
In short, no. The CPU has very predictable patterns. Once you know them, beating the computer is mindlessly easy. In no way does it prepare you to face a real opponent.

Honestly unless you have trouble in pressure situations or your defense is lacking then no the AI doesn't help. Although sitting in practice for about 30 mins against expert will help you with your pressure game and wake-ups if you need the help.Other than that no just play real people for the best training.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Not at all, ever.

The AI can never replicate and react as a human opponent would play you. Learning to play against AI and learning patterns wont do anything positive and in fact, might hinder you in a 1v1 setting

low_kix

Noob
Well, I think saying there's NO value is a little extreme. Is it the same as a human? Of course not. But you can practice useful strategies on a cpu like hit confirming (since practice doesn't have random block) corner pressure, reacting to wake up, when to pressure, which combos are safest, etc

"I am vengeance, I am the night..."

Eazail

Noob
I fight the computer ai to help me get consistant with new combos in pressured sitations. Anyone can combo a non fighing dumy but fighting an actual fight while practicing those combos is a bit more difficult until you get them down packed.

Jim

Emperor of the Moon
I fight the computer ai to help me get consistant with new combos in pressured sitations. Anyone can combo a non fighing dumy but fighting an actual fight while practicing those combos is a bit more difficult until you get them down packed.
This is what I use the computer opponents for, making sure I can land the combo on a moving opponent. Other than that they don't seem to help me beyond the first few days of just seeing the properties of some moves without having played as every fighter yet.

if you have fun playing the computer, then play the computer. my opinion though, if you play the computer long enough it actually makes you worse when fighting a real life opponent.

I think in the long run it definitely might hinder you, but It does help in some aspects. I mostly main reptile, and I know playing the AI helped me in regards to hit-confirming my 321 string.

Zebster

How's my volume?
Just keep in mind that the AI cheats old school MK style:
They skip some startup and recovery frames.