What's new

is raiden still a threat in tourny play?

So right now I main baraka and possibly cutting him lol but was wondering how strong is the god of thunder? Did the patches drain his lightning or is he still going strong?

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
the answer is of ciurse yes as PL and Slips both smashed peoples faces using the lightning master. raiden is easily top 10 and many place him top 5

Theme

Noob
Many? You mean most. Raiden is hat tier, top 5, even after his last nerf. God of Thunder is such a !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
no... the best
This whole, which character is the best is totally dependent on who you main. Thats why I say one of the best, I aint gonna be too fussed about fighting Raiden because I play Sonya, neither would a player like UsedForGlue, but put Raiden against say a Cyrax player and there might be trouble.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
yep, he is a threat, and a dangerous one ....

His hability to escape zoning pressure, and to avoid to be caught and trapped on corner, make him a very elusive dude char in this game

Playing against Raiden is like a cat hunting a mouse: Raiden player want you to attack first, by preference with a move or combo sequence with slow frame recovery, because Raiden intention is lure you to make you whiff, teleport behind you , and catch you with combo, throw or superman (this last to put you in corner and start his deadly corner pressure)

Notice that a skilled Raiden will almost never allow you to pressure him with 2 combo sequences in a row, he will try to bait you to do it, and so, teleport next .... or he will teleport between his own combo string to distract you.

Raiden doesn't allow you to play your game, but, you end to have to play Raiden's game, and try to capitalize above his mistakes. Playing a ultra skillful Raiden makes you feel, at minimum .... uncomfortable.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Yeah he plays around footsies, but he also plays around life leads, which is why I think Sonya is better off in the matchup because:
1. She has better footsies
2. Bigger comeback factor
3. Faster moves (7frame 1 and divekick to punish the teleport)

Her projectile is hard enough to punish with Sektors iatp, so its still not gonna be easy for Raiden to react to everytime.

Raidens definitely a great character, hes just outside my top 5 because of his lack of a come back factor. Also characters with untechable knockdowns can make his teleport suck on wakeup, CSZ and SZ.

xenogorgeous

I suspect that Rain is a good opponent to Raiden .... despite Raiden teleport is faster regarding frames, Rain's teleport can be done in the air, adding a very dangerous mind game factor here, and this way, he can more or less equals Raiden in his own "run away" strategy ....

Rain has some amazing combo strings, 2 of them good for low attacks, while Raiden lacks decent low attacks. In PL Raiden videos, he was doing lots of cross up JIP after Raiden teleport, I think Rain can avoid most of them with his geyser kick , hum ?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Does Raiden not have 45% combos in the corner?

Also, life leads are irrelevant vs zoning characters because their offense is not good enough to threaten Raiden. Life leads are only an issue vs characters like Johnny Cage and Sonya because Raiden then has to depart from his safe hit-and-run game.

IKizzLE

BloodHound
Sektor, Sonya, CSZ, KL, They cant all be 5-5

I'm positive on the Sektor one.

I've played PL's raiden with my sektor. Is their anyway you can tell me how that is 6-4 in Sektor's favor?

Please don't say its because his jab is 6 frames and you can punish the tele. PL teleports when you are the offensive. No way for your move to finish your animation and then your character to turn around and mash it out.

Raiden players who abuse tele or dont know when to use it...thats a different story.

NKZero

Noob
I agree with Tom, Raiden is the best character in the game. He can teleport out of some strings thus interrupting and then starting his own offense. He cannot be zoned. He cannot be over-poked. It's pretty damn hard to punish his teleport. Most importantly of all, Raiden forces you to play his game. You always watch out for electric fly and teleport and it keeps you away from focusing on your tools and more on how to avoid/punish Raiden's tools.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I've played PL's raiden with my sektor. Is their anyway you can tell me how that is 6-4 in Sektor's favor?

Please don't say its because his jab is 6 frames and you can punish the tele. PL teleports when you are the offensive. No way for your move to finish your animation and then your character to turn around and mash it out.

Raiden players who abuse tele or dont know when to use it...thats a different story.
Saying 'Pl teleports when you do XYZ' is a weaker arguement than Sektors 6 frame jab, which will catch the Raiden player.

I could just as easily say 'a player like ketchup would know exactly when a raiden player would teleport'

IKizzLE

BloodHound
Saying 'Pl teleports when you do XYZ' is a weaker arguement than Sektors 6 frame jab, which will catch the Raiden player.

I could just as easily say 'a player like ketchup would know exactly when a raiden player would teleport'
Huh?! So your saying you won't mount an offense?!

-_-

xenogorgeous

I agree with Tom, Raiden is the best character in the game. He can teleport out of some strings thus interrupting and then starting his own offense. He cannot be zoned. He cannot be over-poked. It's pretty damn hard to punish his teleport. Most importantly of all, Raiden forces you to play his game. You always watch out for electric fly and teleport and it keeps you away from focusing on your tools and more on how to avoid/punish Raiden's tools.
yep, what you must do, is, try to make Raiden start to become predictable with his own weapons tools, if you can do it, so, you can revert the "mouse trap" game ....

- His superman, while having none start-up clue (that shit is fast as hell and seems to come from "nowhere") if punishable if blocked, so, it's a matter about the time gap between Raiden's action (doing superman) and your reaction (you blocking it at time). But I think you can do it only foreseeing, not in pure reflex "reaction" , hum ?

- His teleport is punishable , IF, you can foresee too, baiting Raiden to do it, because next, most probably Raiden will do : superman, throw, B3,1, 2 or 33,4 ..... superman and combos are avoidable by blocking, throw, by jump back on reaction, JNP on reaction, or dash back on reaction, hum ? Depends in how much screen spacing you have .... or if you really know Raiden gonna go for throw after teleport, just duck without blocking, hehe (that is hard as hell to do it, I know .... :D )

- Isolated 33,4 and B3,1,2, don't give Raiden advantage on block, after last patch, that's right ?

- You can duck under Raiden projectile, even his Ex version ?

This does not mean anyway that is a "walk in the park" playing against Raiden, no, in fact, you should react so quick when playing Raiden, that all match can become a very stressing "seek and destroy" run party ....

I think this matchup rely much more in try to explore one or two flaws or action execution fails Raiden might do during a round, and so, punishing him with high combos with more than 30% , at least twice, taking bar leader and try to have the job done ..... than try to put natural combo pressure in a character that does not accept to be pressured.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
LMAO its raiden of course people, who does he have a bad matchup against...yep:D

the only problem i have is his D4 is pretty shit but other than that whats his issue?

Pretty easy 40% no bars and f2,4 is a great poke