What's new

Question - Jax Is Jax one of the most "underused" characters?

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
I'm talking Jax at the highest level. Take Heavy Weapons for instance. You can't get the most out of that variation without being able to nail those run cancels, and they aren't easy my friend. We've seen the best of the best screw them up. Also, one thing that gets me is having to press down for the midscreen overhead dash punch into combo. It's just aggravating. There are just other characters just as good as Jax that are easier to learn. It's just not worth the time unless you're a character loyalist.
Orrrrr if you love hearing "You think you bad? You ain't bad." Or "I still got it" or! "Get Some" did I mention "Cry Uncle"? Or maybe even "You'll be feeling that for days"...point is, man is a one liner legend, that's enough for a peek at the character :D

Wrestler in Corner:

- 123 Overhead Dash Punch, B34 EX Overhead Dash Punch, F212, 124 Quad Grab

- 45% 1 Bar

- B34 Overhead Dash Punch, 11, B34 EX Gotcha Grab, 124 Gotcha Grab

- 46% 1 Bar

- B34 Overhead Dash Punch, 11, B34 EX Gotcha Grab, 124 Quad Grab

- 48% 1 Bar

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Wrestler in Corner:

- 123 Overhead Dash Punch, B34 EX Overhead Dash Punch, F212, 124 Quad Grab

- 45% 1 Bar

- B34 Overhead Dash Punch, 11, B34 EX Gotcha Grab, 124 Gotcha Grab

- 46% 1 Bar

- B34 Overhead Dash Punch, 11, B34 EX Gotcha Grab, 124 Quad Grab

- 48% 1 Bar
Imma just take this for safe keeping ;)

Side Note: These are available in other variations for slightly less damage.

DronesUK

Noob
Jax is awesome. I have been maining HW Jax for the last 4 months and I have so much fun. I play most the cast but Jax is very fun to play and in heavy weapons I can hit confirm everything into 30 - 45 % combos.

His Standing 1 and Down 2 are great anti airs. I guess people don't play him because there are simply better characters.

Jax is awesome. I have been maining HW Jax for the last 4 months and I have so much fun. I play most the cast but Jax is very fun to play and in heavy weapons I can hit confirm everything into 30 - 45 % combos.

His Standing 1 and Down 2 are great anti airs. I guess people don't play him because there are simply better characters.
I can't catch that s1 as anti air i don't know why

GOOD DRAGON

Awesometacular
Can Cutthroat really replace Jax like that? How good was Cutthroat in KP1? I play on PC, so I don't have access to all the cool new KP2 updates...
As a jax main i can confirm the problem with Jax is he looks great on paper. Frame data wise and buttons he looks good - fast jabs, good mids, good pokes. But for some reason that never really translate's accordingly to practice.

From my experience the only match ups he has big problems with are against, GM sub, Shinnok, high tech jacqui. He has a lot of consistency issues with female hurt boxes.
He also has a lot of even match ups or close call match ups like kano, reptile, so for example HQT - if jax is in its in his favour if you can zone and keep him out its in HQT's favour so.... I don't know really. Does he have the most 5-5 match up's in the game? Could be interesting to investigate, if anyone has a reliable match-up chart they can look at.

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
As a jax main i can confirm the problem with Jax is he looks great on paper. Frame data wise and buttons he looks good - fast jabs, good mids, good pokes. But for some reason that never really translate's accordingly to practice.

From my experience the only match ups he has big problems with are against, GM sub, Shinnok, high tech jacqui. He has a lot of consistency issues with female hurt boxes.
He also has a lot of even match ups or close call match ups like kano, reptile, so for example HQT - if jax is in its in his favour if you can zone and keep him out its in HQT's favour so.... I don't know really. Does he have the most 5-5 match up's in the game? Could be interesting to investigate, if anyone has a reliable match-up chart they can look at.
Have you picked up Wrestler yet fam? Wrestler MMMMMAHPS Shinnok. I mean Imposter I'm not 100% sure on the mu chart but I'd guess 5-5. Bone shaper can get that work

GOOD DRAGON

Awesometacular
Have you picked up Wrestler yet fam? Wrestler MMMMMAHPS Shinnok. I mean Imposter I'm not 100% sure on the mu chart but I'd guess 5-5. Bone shaper can get that work
Ye i mained wrestler before heavy weapons. Didn't realise he did better against shinnok with wrestler tho. Games tonight matey

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
@Belial is on point

this character isn't hard to do well with, hes incredibly dope and just has good buttons, damage, and a great 50/50, so yeah just playing the character is not hard

but utilizing him to the maximum is where the difficulty lies, mixing up all the wrestler ticks, pressuring, and hit/whiff confirming while nailing ur OS timings, etc etc, getting to the top of your game with this character takes much more work than other characters. But so much fun, and very rewarding to practice and perfect these things. I'm officially maining him AGAIN but this time for realzy. May or may not replace Smoke. Jax is superdope

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
A lot of the misconceptions about Jax's difficulty to execute with arise from back in the day, when his run cancel combos after ex-bf2d were literally the hardest and most inconsistent thing in the game. I remember when you had to continue with f3, gotcha instead of your optimal f21, 11, f21, gotcha on females, unless you were a god and never messed up anything ever.

Fortuneately, a patch came along and fixed it, and f21 followups after your ex overhead aren't too bad anymore.

That said, one must always be wary using d1d2 after blockstun, lest you hit the buttons too fast and find your d1 swallowed up and accidentally execute your -17 d2.

And the buffer window for quad grab feels ridiculously small after certain tic options, like d1, d1d2, and even f3, when you consider how awkward and unwieldly dbf1b is to execute. Like, it is seriously annoying to get down. Took me more time to get d1/d1d2 quad down than it took me to get HW's 123 RC 123 down.

Don't really play HW so I can't comment on [starter] RC 3b2, though. Pulled it off in practice a few times but never attempted in game. Quad tics feel harder though, and for stupid reasons. Special cancel inputting should never be that hard, IMO. Mechanical flaw in the game.

Agree that high level Jax shit can be very difficult relative to other characters. You've got to always hit confirm off of f21 in order to maximize your opportunities and minimize the need to take a risk with 12/123 into ex-overhead DP shennanigans. Also, because of the low-profilabilty of much of his pressure, you have to mix people up well with your mids in order to keep the momentum going for you. When people really know the matchup, it can be a struggle with him. Jax has an excess of great tools but an absence of dirt.

Last edited:

God Confirm

A lot of the misconceptions about Jax's difficulty to execute with arise from back in the day, when his run cancel combos after ex-bf2d were literally the hardest and most inconsistent thing in the game. I remember when you had to continue with f3, gotcha instead of your optimal f21, 11, f21, gotcha on females, unless you were a god and never messed up anything ever.

Fortuneately, a patch came along and fixed it, and f21 followups after your ex overhead aren't too bad anymore.

That said, one must always be wary using d1d2 after blockstun, lest you hit the buttons too fast and find your d1 swallowed up and accidentally execute your -17 d2.

And the buffer window for quad grab feels ridiculously small after certain tic options, like d1, d1d2, and even f3, when you consider how awkward and unwieldly dbf1b is to execute. Like, it is seriously annoying to get down. Took me more time to get d1/d1d2 quad down than it took me to get HW's 123 RC 123 down.

Don't really play HW so I can't comment on [starter] RC 3b2, though. Pulled it off in practice a few times but never attempted in game. Quad tics feel harder though, and for stupid reasons. Special cancel inputting should never be that hard, IMO. Mechanical flaw in the game.

Agree that high level Jax shit can be very difficult relative to other characters. You've got to always hit confirm off of f21 in order to maximize your opportunities and minimize the need to take a risk with 12/123 into ex-overhead DP shennanigans. Also, because of the low-profilabilty of much of his pressure, you have to mix people up will well with your mids in order to keep the momentum going for you. When people really know the matchup, it can be a struggle with him. Jax has an excess of great tools but an absence of dirt.
ive got no problem executing quad grap after d1d2 on block, even tho you mention that as hard... I'm finding the difficulty in consistently timing it to option select the quad grap out on block, but do nothing on hit... and then the challenge from this point is hitconfirming it, if a d1d2 goes through on hit it jails into 50/50 if you react in time

he just has a lot of different mixes to get comfortable with, and has a lot of tricky hitconfirms and reactions off those mixes

and hitconfirming 11 into OHDP to combo off your pressure...

I'd say there is much more work towards perfecting this character than there is for a lot of others

Agree that high level Jax shit can be very difficult relative to other characters. You've got to always hit confirm off of f21 in order to maximize your opportunities and minimize the need to take a risk with 12/123 into ex-overhead DP shennanigans. Also, because of the low-profilabilty of much of his pressure, you have to mix people up well with your mids in order to keep the momentum going for you. When people really know the matchup, it can be a struggle with him. Jax has an excess of great tools but an absence of dirt.
ive got no problem executing quad grap after d1d2 on block, even tho you mention that as hard... I'm finding the difficulty in consistently timing it to option select the quad grap out on block, but do nothing on hit... and then the challenge from this point is hitconfirming it, if a d1d2 goes through on hit it jails into 50/50 if you react in time

he just has a lot of different mixes to get comfortable with, and has a lot of tricky hitconfirms and reactions off those mixes

and hitconfirming 11 into OHDP to combo off your pressure...

I'd say there is much more work towards perfecting this character than there is for a lot of others
I am having hard time with d1d2 into tick throw, i am learning that now in lab, but the thing is , if i hit opponent on block i can preform easy, bit if i hits him with d1d2 and then he block my command grab won't come out somehow, probably because b1b2 is faster when hit logicly, d3 and d1 into cg is just practice, other tick throws are easy and just timing like f3...

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
I am having hard time with d1d2 into tick throw, i am learning that now in lab, but the thing is , if i hit opponent on block i can preform easy, bit if i hits him with d1d2 and then he block my command grab won't come out somehow, probably because b1b2 is faster when hit logicly, d3 and d1 into cg is just practice, other tick throws are easy and just timing like f3...
Well its kinda logical that when you hit with d1d2 the grab will whiff.

God Confirm

It can come out on hit if you are really fast, but you don't want this to happen because it will waste all the plus frames you got for landing a poke (it doesn't grab on hit). Sounds like your timing is just right at the moment, if it's coming out on block but not on hit that is A+

Well its kinda logical that when you hit with d1d2 the grab will whiff.
I know u didnt get me, my grab wont come out at all, i know if it is not ex version it will whiff
It can come out on hit if you are really fast, but you don't want this to happen because it will waste all the plus frames you got for landing a poke (it doesn't grab on hit). Sounds like your timing is just right at the moment, if it's coming out on block but not on hit that is A+
thank you for reply, then i am on good way to make it perfect i guess, but what if i want ex version on hit , still need to be fast right?