What's new

Is it really worth competing...

Whackojack

Noob Saibot is BACK!
So I'm from the Pittsburgh, PA area and as far as I can tell there is little to no competitive scene around here. I'm planning on doing some offline training with streetsweep and squirmcgirt (sp?) but that's roughly an hour and a half away. Additionally the closest tourneys look like Fairfax, VA or Columbus, OH, both roughly 4.5 hours away.

So I guess my real question is, with how few people we have around to train with is it really viable to compete with top level players who practice together all the time? Is there anyone who has come from a barren area and been able to stand up to REO, CDjr, etc. ?

Hitoshura

Head Cage
So I'm from the Pittsburgh, PA area and as far as I can tell there is little to no competitive scene around here. I'm planning on doing some offline training with streetsweep and squirmcgirt (sp?) but that's roughly an hour and a half away. Additionally the closest tourneys look like Fairfax, VA or Columbus, OH, both roughly 4.5 hours away.

So I guess my real question is, with how few people we have around to train with is it really viable to compete with top level players who practice together all the time? Is there anyone who has come from a barren area and been able to stand up to REO, CDjr, etc. ?
You can always come to VSM in NY which is 2 hrs or tlk to SwiftTomHanks who lives in Phili PA

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
You'll have to excuse Hitosaurus. He spent the entire day stalking a tricerotops that he wanted for dinner only to get smacked around by two T rex's and have his meal stolen from him, so hes a little out of it right now.

VSM is about 5 or 6 hours from Pittsburg
Now, that's just mean! LOL!

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
VSM is only 2 hours away? Where in NY is it held??? I may just have to look into this!
Its highly worth it for you to get in your car once a month at least and go and train with these guys

They're extremely nice, willing and all around excellent people to hang with.

Dude I live in south western wv. Me and my friend ARE the scene in a 4 hour radius. We've driven to Chicago(8 HR. Drive), mlg in Columbus(3 HR. Drive) and are going to flawless victory(6.5 HR. Drive) and its totally worth the experience.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

aj1701

Noob
What do you mean by "worth it"?
I'm assuming he means is it worthwhile to go given that he's unlikely to do well due to lack of local competition.

Personally if something is viable for me to go to, I would just for the fun and experience of entering the tourney. I doubt I'd make it out of pools, but it sure seems everyone has hella fun.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I live about an hour from Pittsburgh, in Lisbon, OH.

Treadmill where in WV do you exactly live?

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
The strength of a player doesnt equal the amount of time they spend playing the game offline, or online, but in the amount of time they spend learning the game while they play the game.

When ever you play make sure you learn.
Ya, this is great advice. There are plenty of things you can start off doing on your own like finding out what moves are safe, general strategies that are posted on the character forums, and studying frame data for everyone. Also, I think that things like practicing a lot in training mode against the cpu on expert helps hone in things like reaction time. Online tends to really throw off my timing quite a bit.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Yea it's "worth it." My scene isn't exactly flourishing with talent, but it's all about competing. I totally agree with what Foxy said above.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
The strength of a player doesnt equal the amount of time they spend playing the game offline, or online, but in the amount of time they spend learning the game while they play the game.

When ever you play make sure you learn.
That's quantum physics as hell, Foxy :D.

He's right, man. In almost a year of playing this game, the only offline experience I've ever had is NEC and Winter Brawl, but what leveled me up was not looking at it as "Win V Loss" so much as "Whether I win or lose, I hope this match teaches me something useful," and I may not be great (yet), but I'm miles ahead of where I was months ago. Granted, I'd probably be a lot less ehh -_- if I had a scene nearby (South Jersey = MK desert, save a few kind souls), but it won't be a make or break issue as long as you're willing to commit to the learning curve.
As the saying goes, you never know until you try, so pack a lunch, break out a notepad, and cram as much as you can.
The deeper you dive, the better chance you have of surfacing to find your endeavor a successful one :D.

Whackojack

Noob Saibot is BACK!
Hmmm, 5 or 6 hours is a bit more than 2... I may make a monthly trip out there if it's possible schedule-wise. When do they meet/for how long? Also, the biggest issue I'm seeing here would be a place to sleep. If it's going to be a 5 hour drive, MK, 5 hour drive home...doesn't really seem worth it. Same applies to getting a hotel for 1 day of MK training :\

SquirtMcGirt

Purple balls covering the screen
Oh ya its worth ...just ask tredmill he played street at mlg columbus. It is totally worth it to travel for kombat to learn matchups. Me and street are pretty decent and we've been going to tournaments. We really plan on getting awsome so we've been doing the same thing your doing.. and everyone is so cool, imagine a room with a hundred people and they all love the game just as much as you. Its so awesome to play the best game ever, and thats what its about having fun and playing mortal kombat.

Whackojack

Noob Saibot is BACK!
Oh ya its worth ...just ask tredmill he played street at mlg columbus. It is totally worth it to travel for kombat to learn matchups. Me and street are pretty decent and we've been going to tournaments. We really plan on getting awsome so we've been doing the same thing your doing..
Nice, I'm pretty sure I'm coming out on sunday to play with you and streetsweep also, so I might have to talk to you guys about Fairfax at that time

SquirtMcGirt

Purple balls covering the screen
You better come out sunday! Me and streetsweep have hit a wall cause all we do is play each other lol

Oh ya its worth ...just ask tredmill he played street at mlg columbus. It is totally worth it to travel for kombat to learn matchups. Me and street are pretty decent and we've been going to tournaments. We really plan on getting awsome so we've been doing the same thing your doing.. and everyone is so cool, imagine a room with a hundred people and they all love the game just as much as you. Its so awesome to play the best game ever, and thats what its about having fun and playing mortal kombat.
Absolutely. Street was a cool dude, as was everyone I met there, very good experience.

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
It's very fun and nice to meet people you know from online. I've been playing with treadmill online forever and I will finally be able to meet him in April at Flawless Victory. Playing offline can get rather stale when you run in to people with egos though.

I can't wait for Sunday myself Whack....It is worth it to me just to get better at a game I love and to be in the company of others who love the game.

It's very fun and nice to meet people you know from online. I've been playing with treadmill online forever and I will finally be able to meet him in April at Flawless Victory. Playing offline can get rather stale when you run in to people with egos though.
It's like a real life "you've got mail".