What's new

Is it impossible for Kitana vs. Reptile?

Some of you have probably seen me on the Netherrealm lobby on PS3, I play strictly Kitana and nothing else, only in tag team do I use Kitana and Raiden.

Well, this isn't a rant, I just want some tips on how to defeat Reptile, out of the whole MK cast (Yes, I'm serious, including Johnny Mileena etc) Reptile is the only one I struggle with very hardly, I can almost never defeat him, I cannot punish his speed run (don't know what it's called) because whenever I try to, he smashes buttons and breaks my punish.

Thanks in advance everyone.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I agree, Kitana has to work very hard against Reptile. It's definitely not impossible though, it's not like it's an 8-2. Your best bet is trying to catch them in something like a 21~ex fan, and dash cancelling into a full combo. Of course, make use of d1 and cutter. Another thing I like to use in matchups like this is ending a round with an ex instant air squareboost. It's armored, so it goes through forceball pressure.

DrDogg

Noob
I can't even imagine playing this matchup online.

Offline, you just have to play very carefully. You can't really Square Wave because Reptile punishes easily with the Dash. Anytime you think you can frame trap with d+1, Reptile usually wins with Dash. You can't jump in on Force Balls, and if you do get the opportunity to jump in, you have to use a late jump kick, because Reptile's anti-airs work extremely well against a jump punch. He gets a free 50/50 at the end of every block string, and he nullifies Kitana's already weak wake-up game with his Dash oki pressure.

I try to pressure Reptile as much as possible in this match. I attempt to bait out a Dash so I can block and 2,1 into hit-confirmed Fan Lift or EX Fan Toss. I find the Fan Lift hit confirm to be easier, but that's probably due to the fact that I hate the notation of EX moves in MK9.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I find ground fans from a distance are good tools to use along with iAFs. This matchup is 11-0 out of 10 online for sure.

Online, Reptile is extremely hard to beat. His elbow dash is unpunishable, even by D1, he can simply elbow dash again right afterwards and hit you.

Your best bet is staying away and using iAF and ground fans. If you can time it right, you can actually F2 his elbow dash if he's doing them one after the other from kind of far away. From what I've noticed, his elbow dash whiffs if your in the air so try to stay in the air against him as much as you can.

If he starts to zone you with forceballs and acid spit, try to time your iAF to just above his projectiles so he still gets hit but his attacks miss. It takes a lot of practice to time properly.

Other than that, just keep him away and wait for a mistake. Frustrate him, he's going to want to get in close at some point. Punish him for trying it.

My cousin main's Reptile (and I main Kitana) but the match up isn't too horrible for me anymore. Were still pretty even in terms of skill but perhaps I have gotten used to his playing style. But as for Reptiles online, I can admit that it is hard work to beat him but its not impossible. Whenever I block a Elbow Dash I can usually get a throw attempt since most of the time they will block afterward. If not I'll go for d+1, Fan Cutter.

Be ready for a lot of high and low blocking since he has a lot of mix ups.

At full screen ill throw Ground fans as well as iAF that are very low. Sometimes intentionally going higher to catch a jump.

There is also something interesting that happens with Kitana and Reptile (not sure if this works on other characters.) I sometimes do a f4, 1 when I get a knock down on a character to mix them up. But when Reptile wakes up with Elbow dash he goes right through me, not sure if this is something on Kitana's side or on Reptile's but I just thought it was weird.