What's new

Is Cyber Sub Zero Tournament Viable?

Enenra

Go to hell.
So a hat told me to try Cyber Sub, but his match up chart is horrid according to UsedForGlue's match up chart. I like the character, and I'd pick him up just because he looks like a Predator. However, I want to level up a character that could compete in EVO, which I will hopefully be attending. Not only that, but Scorpion is really treating me right. Thanks to anyone and everyone who actually responds without trolling me.

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
This relies on two things.
1.Player Skill (most importantly).
2.Character Matchups

CSZ has some crippling matchups, but if YOU are the better player then it is definitely doable.
This is where it gets tricky though. Can he compete at EVO? No one can really say with 100% certainty. Its possible to level up sooooo much that you can body people left and right.

I main CSZ just because I think he is so cool (pun intended). I have so much trouble fighting some characters but I try to make him work.

I first picked him up around September and have played with him almost non-stop that my other main (Kitana) has fallen behind in terms of how comfortable I am playing the character.

In my opinion CSZ is not an easy character to master, not the most difficult but certainly not the easiest. Treat this as a business venture, is it worth your investment into this product?

He has all the tools that make a character good, a projectile that leads into heavy damage, a divekick, a slide, bombs, great mixups, and a teleport. Except for the divekick and offensive pressure, everything else isn't as amazing as it seems.

This is my opinion on CSZ really.

tl;dr
CSZ is as tournament worthy as the player behind him.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I say he's a great character to know who can give many characters trouble:

Sektor
Shang
Raiden
NW
Ermac
Noob
Rain
Stryker
Cage
Lao

And more

Seeing how a lot of raidens are popping up ibexpext more band wagon hoppers to come to CSZ

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
why is csz so bad? he seems very strong to me. im a beginner tho, so please explain :)

as you said;
dive kick (far and close)
slide
bombs
ice
teleport
great combos with lows and overheads
aerial xray (the only aerial xray?)
ice counter

a seriously good character imo! i say go for it OP

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
why is csz so bad? he seems very strong to me. im a beginner tho, so please explain :)

as you said;
dive kick (far and close)
slide
bombs
ice
teleport
great combos with lows and overheads
aerial xray (the only aerial xray?)
ice counter

a seriously good character imo! i say go for it OP
Not a bad character, but not the best. Far from it. His teleport is horribly unsafe, ice ball is slow and punishable if blocked at close range. Bombs rarely freeze. His slide isn't bad but everyone elses's is better when considering his EX has no armor. He does have great combos and only he and Kit have an aerial X-Ray. Ice counter can be baited and punished and is useless against characters, like Jax.

I do agree with the strengths of his normals though. Those are underrated.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
He is viable for major tornaments , but only after a lot of hours in training session, online matches, and minor offline tourneys , in order to acquire experience with his gameplay, bad matchups, and overall, strategies.

I consider him medium to hard to master at high level, due some disadvantages he has.

Particulary, I like his speed (he has the fastest dash in the game), some of his combo strings has good recovery for block stance (safe), and the "Glue Bomb" trick is deadly .... and the recent x-ray and ice bomb pressure trick put on video is a nice addition.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Viable tournament character? Largely no. Viable defense against some of the higher tiers? Oh yes.

CSZ is going to be my go to character for the plethora of Raidens out there.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Ok, thanks guys. I'll learn him for the anti-Lao and Raiden, and see if I like him enough to consider him a main. Good stuff, thanks guys.

Gilbagz

Joker here~
Pig Of The Hut Hmmm, isn't Lao a bad match up for CSZ? His spin shuts down the dive kick/jip 50/50. His dive kick beats out CSZ's, and CSZ has no answer for this TP cuz his uppercut is slow. All you have is the parry, which can easily be baited. My CSZ is far from yours, i know but what are your thoughts for this match up?

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
Pig Of The Hut Hmmm, isn't Lao a bad match up for CSZ? His spin shuts down the dive kick/jip 50/50. His dive kick beats out CSZ's, and CSZ has no answer for this TP cuz his uppercut is slow. All you have is the parry, which can easily be baited. My CSZ is far from yours, i know but what are your thoughts for this match up?
I'm not pig but Kung Lao gets punished hard for random spins and dive kicks. Plus his uppercut on lao teleport is 20 % with added slide. Lao gets all his moves parried other than low hat and forward 4

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk

Pig Of The Hut

J360 hit every nail on the head

Also I noticed u said u get spinned out of your dive kicks. only dive at lao when it's guaranteed such as when he throws a hat, far missed spin , if u r already in the air and he teleports

One thing CSz can do is punish hard so Lao has to be very cautious

Same goes for CSZ in MU Lao punishes hard as well

Also u can definitely uppercut from a crouch no block lao's teleport

Ex teleports jump away from

Flagg

Noob
CSZ is viable, but he is someone I believe you have to play very patiently with.

All CSZ players know that the Kitana match up is very, very hard. It's not impossible to beat her, but you have to play your socks off.

It's funny, because he kinda excels in his good match ups but gets hammered in his bad match ups. No kind of inbetween.

I would just like to see one move of his buffed, and I think something as simple as a fast teleport could change him immensely. Look how much better Baraka got with full screen Ex blade charge. It only takes one tweak, to make someone so much more viable.

Pig Of The Hut

wait, why does csz blow up raiden?

People have problems w raiden when they just stand there, u have to be very active against raiden. U also have to have a character who is fast and moves in and out well.

I'll pm u w examples

Gilbagz

Joker here~
J360 hit every nail on the head

Also I noticed u said u get spinned out of your dive kicks. only dive at lao when it's guaranteed such as when he throws a hat, far missed spin , if u r already in the air and he teleports

One thing CSz can do is punish hard so Lao has to be very cautious

Same goes for CSZ in MU Lao punishes hard as well

Also u can definitely uppercut from a crouch no block lao's teleport

Ex teleports jump away from
Ahhh thanks Pig Of The Hut and J360. I was playing the match completely wrong, starting to have some success by just turtling and forcing him to move with bombs. On teleport i can uppercut him, and off any mistakes i'll punish him hard now. One last question though, what good anti airs does cyber sub have? lol. Cuz after blocking dive kicks for a while, i think he might use it to just jip and pressure.

So a hat told me to try Cyber Sub, but his match up chart is horrid according to UsedForGlue's match up chart. I like the character, and I'd pick him up just because he looks like a Predator. However, I want to level up a character that could compete in EVO, which I will hopefully be attending. Not only that, but Scorpion is really treating me right. Thanks to anyone and everyone who actually responds without trolling me.
no one in here no one will troll you just for asking such a good question!!!! now let me tell you , the same way in Harry potter the wand choose the Wizard .lol. lmao.. likewise in Call Of duty Game the Weapon choose the player, in MK the character choose the player, xD i been playing with Cyber since i almost got the game and CZS is a great character but to master his move is not easy , let me add that;

i gree with GuamoKun CZS is not a easy character to master , but a pro with Kitana has 80% of chance of beating CZS, because CZS is weak against spammers ... i would never use CZS against a Kitana lover

i also agre at 99% with Pig Of The Hut and why 99%?????
Because i don see raiden a good match against CZS, in a Tournament i would never use CZS to beat a Pro with Raiden , Radien's Torpedo destroy CZS's ice parry . so for that a true Pro with Raiden would teleport and Torpedo ur ass or give you a low Kick is a mind game situation that i personally would like to avoid ..

i also agree with yautjared the practice make the master , online and offline practice will make u strong!!! why offline? because the timing offline is way different then online, when i got my first tourny here in venezuela i would tell you i barely fail the tourny !!! why? because i was use to play online, and the timing when doing combos online is way different when doing it offline .. so far i recommend you to play with friends offline so u can adjust yourself playing with CZS offline ..

Viable tournament character? Largely no. Viable defense against some of the higher tiers? Oh yes.

CSZ is going to be my go to character for the plethora of Raidens out there.
think twice before choosing CZS against a true pro with Raiden, raiden is no Joke , if you gonna choose CZS against Raiden and you have mild skill with CZS there is cero chance you gonna win that match .. I personally think a tru pro with Raiden is not a Good match against CZS .. i consider myself a good CZS but i refuse to choose CZS against Raiden, if you wanna try Raiden Vs CZS i recommend you play Defense mode , being offensive against Raiden is not gonna help cause he will teleport u everytime and give u low kick and even if you Jump after he teleport when he notice that he will teleport jump and torpedo in ur face , Now im talking about faceing a really Good Raiden not a Scrub Raiden..

wait, why does csz blow up raiden?
NO, THATS WRONG , CZS DOES NOT BLOW A TRU PRO RAIDEN !!!!!
ice parry does not work agaisnt Raiden's torpedo the same goes against Jax's dash punch ..ice parry is worthless against them !!!! in fact is way too hard to beat a tru good Raiden using CZS.. i personally would never use CZS to face a Raiden..

Pig Of The Hut

Victor I know what I'm talking about

The fact u said parry gets blown up by torpedo means u aren't using it in the MU correctly

Against pro raidens I'm very comfortable w CSz

What r ur issues in this MU?

Victor I know what I'm talking about

The fact u said parry gets blown up by torpedo means u aren't using it in the MU correctly

Against pro raidens I'm very comfortable w CSz

What r ur issues in this MU?
i just say fighting a pro raiden is not easy to beat with CZS but if you can defeat the most high skill Raidens i Congratulate you man, its all good.. im talking in my own point of view and perspective using CZS..

I don't want to get bashed for this but...
Kitana. Kabal. Two of the most heavy tournament used characters.
Mileena. Relatively popular.
And then throw in all the other zoners and bad matchups that give him hell.

Think of tournament viability like this with a character... "If I can't handle the Top 5 characters, like is going to be tough, sans the ex lax."

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
CSZ is my secondary and I find his downfall is the fact that he has no actual capability of doing damage from far. Where other characters can throw projectiles that do damage or bring a person to them, he has to get close to do any kind of damage.

No Armor on EX slide, his bombs are slow and rarely freeze, his ice ball is slow as hell, his teleport is unsafe. You inch your way to your opponent, use the balls to control the map and get in close.
Once you're close, watching CSZ close range game is a thing of beauty. :D