What's new

Interview with Xbox Live's Major Nelson About XboxOne By Reddit

DarKNaTaS

Retired!
Lots of interesting questions were asked by reddit users about XboxOne. Major Nelson clears up a lot from being banned to to connecting other devices to the system.​

SonicBoomBrad

Best Doomsday in the world
Wow, its main selling point is TV...
It's main selling point is being able to share games seamlessly with a group of friends or family. You don't need backwards comparability because you can plug a 360 (or cable box) into the xbox one through the hdmi port. That means you're still getting online updates and game/friend invites from your xbox one as well as ability to be in a party with your friends while watching TV or playing old xbox 360 games. You can even have say the basketball game picture in picture while playing whatever game you're playing. This system has a lot of versatility. I've even heard certain things about connect being able to sense who you are, and set your buttons at a fgc tournament no matter how far away that tournament is from your house. There is a reason for the always online feature. They are trying to innovate. Who doesn't have an internet connection these days? Even phones are connected to the internet. I really don't understand the shitstorm surrounding this console.

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
It's main selling point is being able to share games seamlessly with a group of friends or family. You don't need backwards comparability because you can plug a 360 (or cable box) into the xbox one through the hdmi port. That means you're still getting online updates and game/friend invites from your xbox one as well as ability to be in a party with your friends while watching TV or playing old xbox 360 games. You can even have say the basketball game picture in picture while playing whatever game you're playing. This system has a lot of versatility. I've even heard certain things about connect being able to sense who you are, and set your buttons at a fgc tournament no matter how far away that tournament is from your house. There is a reason for the always online feature. They are trying to innovate. Who doesn't have an internet connection these days? Even phones are connected to the internet. I really don't understand the shitstorm surrounding this console.

If I want to watch tv, I just change channels. I don't know anyone who wants to both play games, and watch TV at the same time.

The sharing games thing is nice, but its already possible physically.

The convenience of digital is not worth the extra cost, the always online connection, the used games DRM and the shoddy hardware.

JaredL

Microsoft should've let this guy talk instead of those disaster PR guys. Major Nelson seems more in touch with reality and gaming in general than anyone else I heard so far talking for XboxOne.

True dat. He doesn't tell his customers to fuck off and buy a 360.

That said... no amount of nice talking will really change the core facts.

I just moved and won't have internet for 2-3 weeks. I wouldn't be able to play a single game on my $500 dollar system. That's ridiculously Fucking stupid.

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
God the hat...he looks like he is high...
Anyway yeah...he deflects a lot and talks around things...but he would have been a lot better then Don...
My main problem is that no one has used this shared library or ran a game off on the cloud on this yet...I can barly make it through a youtube video on 360..netflicks works tons better...

Sent under duress.

Some people don't live in regions with reliable or powerful internet.
Yeah, that exists. We can't all have 100 MB d/l speeds from 3 different providers around the corner.

And being able to plug a 360 into an XB1 is a moot point. Just leave your 360 plugged in as it is. Useless "feature." <.<

Also, as Jared said, I just switch channels to watch TV, and I can still leave my 360 on and be in a party.

Angry Joe also had an interview with this guy and went pretty hard on him, can't wait for him to upload it. I think he said that he almost got kicked out of the room

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Some people don't live in regions with reliable or powerful internet.
Yeah, that exists. We can't all have 100 MB d/l speeds from 3 different providers around the corner.

And being able to plug a 360 into an XB1 is a moot point. Just leave your 360 plugged in as it is. Useless "feature." <.<

Also, as Jared said, I just switch channels to watch TV, and I can still leave my 360 on and be in a party.
Thats like complaining that iphone is too expensive cause most ppl dont have that much money...

totheark

Shazzy's Senpai
Well, all my inputs would be filled with the XB1 so plugging it into that would resolve it.

That's when backwards compatibility would've helped but oh well.

JaredL

'backwards' compatability? Nahhh.

Its just a slightly more convenient way to use your xbox 360 with an existing console. Same with TV.

They are making it slightly more easy to swap between gaming and TV. And gaming on the xbone and the 360.

Absolutely nothing revolutionary, or worth the extra price and the DRM.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Microsoft should've let this guy talk instead of those disaster PR guys. Major Nelson seems more in touch with reality and gaming in general than anyone else I heard so far talking for XboxOne.
i agree completely until the online question. he basically dodged the question by saying "Most of the world is connected"(The XB1 will not be able to be used in many countries and an entire continent) and then changing the subject to Netflix or some shit. I wish they would just come out and say that they are alienating certain countries because they dont fit their system, rather than them dodging questions and pretending like they dont exist.

totheark

Shazzy's Senpai
Could we plug in a PC into the XB1?
I have to constantly switch the inputs from my monitor to alternate between the PC and Xbox.
That would be pretty cool actually.

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
I dont understand the complainig about the games not being physical. Did you also complain when itunes came out?
They did complain, and then they bought 25 billion songs as of this year. They can't easily share songs by passing a CD to a friend, yet the iTunes Store is responsible for ~30% of worldwide music sales.

They also complained about Steam, which currently dominates the PC gaming market.