What's new

Injustice Post Evo Question: Numbers after Evo

Arizona Scene:

We have two main organizers where we get together to play:

- The Digital Dojo (Morty, Sao)
- Team Hazmat (Haz)

Prior to Evo we were very active preparing for Evo. I would say a large majority of our local scene were MK veterans, mixed with some players from the local Shoryuken crowd and some new players that have popped up recently. I personally feel that our local scene was very strong going into Evo.

We actively coordinate in a local Arizona group on Facebook so our communication is very open. We have approximately 90 members that are part of the group and I would say about 20-30 players that actively attend casuals/local tournaments.

I personally feel that Evo was a demonstration of what I expected it to be (Superman/Black Adam showcase). As much as people are unwilling to admit it, the top-tier's in this game are in a tier of their own.

The general consensus from our local scene is kind of a "wait and see" attitude. Several players (including myself) are keeping faith that NRS has observed and plans to make changes to the game for the better especially after how the game was received at Evo. We know that there is at least (1) more balance patch coming through with the inclusion of Martian Manhunter, and I anticipate at least 2-4 more balance changes total.

I think in general, NRS has a pretty good track-record of improving their games as the patches progress and specific things stand out.

My perception of the problem with this game right now is that there are literally 3-5 characters that stand above the rest and if the game does not change it will stagnate.

There are several characters in this game that have a lot of depth, unfortunately the most effective characters in this game are the most linear and I feel it makes the game lack entertainment value when observed at a high level.

Arizona is currently planning on participating in an online league (5v5) called DojoSports. This is hosted by AfroCole (Jason Cole).

I think most of our efforts will reside locally, in addition to participating in this online league.

I do not see much drive/desire for our local players currently to travel for this game to majors. I would imagine if anything we may have a few attend Vindication II and/or possibly SCR whenever that comes around.

Many of us really WANT to like this game, but there have been talks from many of our players to start playing SSF4 again for the Ultra rebalance.

As of this moment I feel that I am currently waiting to see if the new Killer Instinct has a strong tournament scene (I enjoyed the demo a lot at Evo). I also plan on playing the next iteration of Smash Bros. competitively with some friends.

After Evo, I can't help but feel that I wish my opinions of this game had more influence/weight. I feel like I could help contribute towards making Injustice a better game.

A thought that has been on my mind recently is whether or not I will even be attending Evo next year as a competitor or if I would rather save my money and attend SDCC 2014. Most of the stuff that is on my radar is not coming out until late 2014.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
There was a time where Shang vs CSZ and Mileena vs Reptile were considered impossible matchups. And Cage vs Scorpion was considered even. Think about that for a second.

This time next year, you could be going 5-5 with Aquaman and getting 8-2'd by Joker. lol
NOBODY THOUGHY Shang vs CSz was 8-2

Ludicrous

Except one person

AYSAMO

Noob
AK Pig Of The Hut just wait till bring my flash to summer jam next month. you wont be talking about supermen and BA anymore. you will be on pl's boat Nd say this character is cheap. if you play like djt with the flash he becomes top 5. if you get on this weekend we should play.

Flash definitely beats superman 6-4, but I'm not sure about BA. That's 5-5 at best, still think it's kind of a shitty matchup but def workable.

Also, AZ was hella bummed we didn't play as well as we could have at EVO, we all got to winners finals then dropped combos or choked and lost out. We've all taken a break since we're all burned out, but will all be continuing to play.

AYSAMO

Noob
You guys really think Superman loses to Flash? Interesting...

Absolutely. He can't zone you because of Lightning Charge, and flash's d2 is neutral on block, 6 frames, and goes under half of superman's strings. All of the things superman normally relies on to derp out a win doesn't work vs flash.

It's similar to how Aquaman can press 1 button that completely stops Flash from doing anything at all every 8 seconds.

Flash definitely beats superman 6-4, but I'm not sure about BA. That's 5-5 at best, still think it's kind of a shitty matchup but def workable.

Also, AZ was hella bummed we didn't play as well as we could have at EVO, we all got to winners finals then dropped combos or choked and lost out. We've all taken a break since we're all burned out, but will all be continuing to play.
In a nutshell, this was the AZ scene at Evo:

KDZ was Luigi.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
On the subject of the balance right now.

Honestly? It really doesn't matter what the game is like today.

The game is like 3 months old, people do not have enough experience with anything yet, dropped BNBS, people falling for stupid gimmicks, ignoring stage hazards(how to use them ,and how to avoid them), no matchup experience. Like 80% of the players still refuse to pushblock or clash, and if they do remember, they just try and use it as a comeback mechanic and go all in.

Then their is a second season pass, and 4 more characters, who knows what they will bring. Manhunter already looks kinda crazy, he joins the special club with Batgirl and Scorpion with his anti zoning teleports.

With those 4 characters, there will be at least 4 more balance patches, and those patches could change things drastically, there are a bunch of characters that are just teetering on the edge of being really good, and just need one or two good buffs. Except for the wakeup change, every single patch has improved the game for the better.

Now I'm not saying you shouldn't voice your concern and just have a wait and see attitude, but the hyperbolic overreactions to everything is just getting silly.

It's a shame it's almost impossible to have any kind of civilized balance discussion anymore with out it turning into a giant flame war of personal attacks on other users.

Did people forget Wolverine is hella retarded or something?
wolverine isn't doom, morrigan, vergil, or zero LMAO I watch marvel and I know he isn't considered as annoying as the 4 I listed. Also he plays wolverine with storm and akuma lmao. He isn't playing vergil, zero, doom or some other super deadly team like that, give jwong his props for getting top 8 at marvel 3 for consecutive years without going to a high tier team.

KDZ

It's amore, BABY.
@AKPigofthehut

That's questionable. With relative skill levels in said characters right now, Superman is easily top 5. When people start solidifying those "Top 5", they will be able to do things to players that Superman can't.

He'll never be "non-viable" if they don't nerf him. Just like how Rufus can still win majors. He will just be more mentally manageable in the as you see it more, and the fights against him won't be as stressful.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Even if they end up nerfing him, I doubt he will get the nerf hammer anywhere near as hard as Scorpion, or even Deathstroke.

Man of Steels box office "success" will protect him for now.

regulas

Your Emporer
What ChrisG shows is that most players have yet to even master the basics of Injustice. To be frank from a technical aspect his GA is actually fairly mediocre, yet he still dominates for the simple reason that he has focused on basic fundamentals of the game. Part of the problem I think is that Pro's are so used to being well Pro's that for some it hasn't clicked as to how much they lack at Injustice.

And it's very important to note that top tier characters (as they currently stand) are defined primarily by how simple/safe they are to play rather then how strong they can be.