What's new

Strategy - Kitana I'm so free to Kung-Lao, help me

Why can't i beat Kung-Lao? First of, I know i'm not the best Kitana player in the world but for the life of me, I have a Kung-Lao phobia.

-I can't beat him in the air with uf2 unless I press super early.
-Corner sucks for me without bar, I have to hold that.
-When he teleports, I just freeze there. I try to fight his teleport but I eat a launcher or kick.

Help me fellow Kitana players.
Where is he minus?
Where are his open spots?
What do you recommend I do?

I hate Kung-Lao. I keep my distance but that only works for a little while. His pressure is truly something I have an issue with.

Any help would be appreciated. I use Mournful but if I have to use Royal Storm, i'll do it.

NeoRussell

P.S. I lost to Glitch's Kung Lao in Summer Jam. He was good but not the same as my normal Kung-Lao practice.

gam224

The world's least hype player
You can uppercut the teleport on reaction with down 2 which I suggest over trying to go for instead of neutral jump punching the teleport. He is hard to face online because of his jump 2 so you should keep a bar in Stock at all times for ex up fans. The majority of Laos will wake up whenever they have a bar, so keep an eye on their meter. Also most are teleport happy so throw a fan or two to bait it out abs make them eat an uppercut. Hope this helps.

I saw those matches mate. With him it's all about gaps. Finding them and poking out. Thing is if he has meter he can loop that stupid block string until his meter is gone. I usually like when they TP cause I try to use fans to bait it and as soon as I see the sparkly shit I D2. A few of them and you can scare them from TP and get back to zoning. The only poke out spot I know it after a regular hat spin and neutral poke under the first 1 of his 112123 string. The first hit is high so if your crouching and poke quickly you can get under it.

JerzeyReign

PSN: JerzeyReign
Find that Sonic Fox vs PL match. Watching streams like that are beneficial if you ignore the hype and watch what they're doing. That was no joke, no games Kitana.

Find that Sonic Fox vs PL match. Watching streams like that are beneficial if you ignore the hype and watch what they're doing. That was no joke, no games Kitana.
Pretty much. Royal Storm vs Tempest is a 6-4 matchup. You can watch the FT10 or any videos of how Sonicfox fight against any Kung Lao (from his evo videos to his Summer Jam videos).

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Why can't i beat Kung-Lao? First of, I know i'm not the best Kitana player in the world but for the life of me, I have a Kung-Lao phobia.

-I can't beat him in the air with uf2 unless I press super early.
-Corner sucks for me without bar, I have to hold that.
-When he teleports, I just freeze there. I try to fight his teleport but I eat a launcher or kick.

Help me fellow Kitana players.
Where is he minus?
Where are his open spots?
What do you recommend I do?

I hate Kung-Lao. I keep my distance but that only works for a little while. His pressure is truly something I have an issue with.

Any help would be appreciated. I use Mournful but if I have to use Royal Storm, i'll do it.

NeoRussell

P.S. I lost to Glitch's Kung Lao in Summer Jam. He was good but not the same as my normal Kung-Lao practice.
I haven't seen your matches, bro. Could you link me?

7L

Heads up!
Hey @NeoRussell it was good seeing you this weekend! I was glad you could make it out. I struggle in this too but it's alot of knowing that you can armor through alot of his strings. For jump ins, just let your armor do the work, ex rising fan will be your best friend. Also you can stand block and mash armor (ex rising fan) through his 44 and f23. As for 112124, apparently you can naked duck the 4 and punish which I only learned in that ft10 w/ sonic and pl. The teleport is pretty simple as long as it isn't ex. You can jump forward and do an instant air fan(inputs reversed) or d1 fan for a punish. Just play it patient since his ex hat spin is a pain and plus to all ends of the earth.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
@NeoRussell
You need to be more chill against him and teach him not to spin and not to teleport. Consistently shut down these two things and force him to walk into a figurative foot.
Do a few instant airs to teach him not to try to jump up and anti-air you. You jump up too high when you attempt them. It's more about the spacing, really.
Do not throw out blind shadowkicks, it gets you blown up, even if that opponent ate them. Instead, stop and be conservative with what you use. Lao has every reason to fear Kitana. Superior damage, better footsies, better projectile.
You cannot poke out of Tempest's orbiting hat, but I'm pretty sure you have read the frame data since then so I'm not going to be a dick and lecture you on something you already know. Same goes for what to block low and what to block standing.

All in all I believe you just need more matchup experience. All your fights up to that one were amazing and you really make Mournful shine so massive kudos.