What's new

If MK9 had a documentary like The Smash Bros.....

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
Excuse me for the derp moment but when was this "Rebello" term coined and what does it mean?
Rebelo is the GT of some Canadian guy who was the first person to really show how broke man hunter was. Besides winning an "80 man Canadian major" he hasn't gone offline at all for reasons, so to rebelo someone is to hype someone up who is good but hasn't proved it at an offline event yet.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
Excuse me for the derp moment but when was this "Rebello" term coined and what does it mean?
a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.........

ok all you need to know is the term means a notable players plays an unknown player and rebelo's him by saying he is good and saying he will do well the next tournament he goes to. rebelo is a godlike GL player from canada that can't come to america because he's a scumbag without a passport and is said to be the 2nd rebelo (me being the first by pig of the hut who coined the term along with GGA).

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Anyway, just my subjective opinion, but I think Pig is more of a lock than Detroit, he kinda kept a low profile after EVO 2012 whereas the damage/jimmies rustled by Pig's Kenshi breakthrough will probably never be lived down within competitive MK9 history.

Whenever MK10 comes out and I start heading up to tourneys again, I will most definitely be recording whenever I can. Smash Documentary inspired me to help chronicle MKC history, at least in a very minor way at events I happen to be at. There were so many moments from MLG and Seasons Beatings 2012/2013 that I wish were recorded some way.

I also agree that our list should be shorter and focus more on the drama and rivalries. Props are as important as majors to us.

Was talking to @piemaster about the Smash Bros. Documentary and who would be the 7 gods of MK9 if a documentary was made about our scene like the Smash scene. If you haven't watched the Smash Bros. documentary, it's pretty much an overview of the evolution of the game, it's community, and an inside look at the 7 best players to play the game during it's lifespan. I talked it over with @Medina4life at lunch and this is what we determined would be the '7 gods of MK9' if such a documentary was made for us. Do you agree? Disagree?

Perfect Legend - 2x Evo winner and top 8 at Evo 2013. Top 8 at MLG Anaheim and Raleigh. Funny. Beyond egotistical. And partially insane. A lock.

REO - 2x top 8 Evo placer. 3x MLG winner. Smart and logical player. Sarcastically funny. Huge troll. A lock.

CD Jr - 2x MLG winner, 2x MLG top 8, 2012 Evo top 8 placer. First dominant force in MK9. Super opinionated. Super loud. Super arrogant. A lock.

DJT - Evo 2013 winner and Evo 2011 top 8 placer. 2x MLG top 8 placer. Relatively quiet, maybe the "Azen" of our community in relation to the Smash scene. Does the Bernie dance. Some of the most amazing patience to watch. A lock.

Detroit Ballin - 2011 NEC winner, MLG winner, MLG top 8 placer, and Evo 2013 top 8 placer. Relatively quiet as well. Just kind of a cool guy who's easy to get along with. A lock.

Pig of the Hut - 3x MLG top 8 placer, winner of MLG Summer Area, 2012 Evo top 8 placer. Very passionate and hard-working player. Super consistent. An inspiration and example of what it takes to become one of the best. Few would argue he would not belong.

16 Bit - 2x Evo top 8 placer, SCR 2011 winner, 3x top 8 MLG placer. Also very consistent. One of the biggest personalities in the scene. Most charismatic. Most dramatic. Best pop-offs. Some would argue Dizzy or Tyrant should take the 7th spot, but consistency should be rewarded and theatrics tips the scales in his favor.
Jr has only won one MLG which was also his last major tournament win.

He is a 3 time MLG top 8 placer though.

REO has only won 2 MLG tournaments but if you want to count 2011 raleigh when it was just a KOTH tournament to qualify to play in top 4 then I believe my MLG Columbus win in 2011 should be counted as well cause it was the same format.

I'm also the only player to get top 8 at EVO all 3 years. Also I'm not egotistical.

Anyway just came in to lay down the facts.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
Smash had a documentary because the scene has revolved around ONE GAME that has lasted for about a decade.

MK9 fizzled out after 2 and a half years. You could do a documentary about MK's competitive life as a whole over the series, but MK9's story was short lived

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Smash had a documentary because the scene has revolved around ONE GAME that has lasted for about a decade.

MK9 fizzled out after 2 and a half years. You could do a documentary about MK's competitive life as a whole over the series, but MK9's story was short lived
While this isn't wrong, I think the way MK went from the verge of extinction to some accolades other non-Capcom fighting games would kill for (three consecutive appearances at EVO and a full year at MLG), makes for a very compelling story.

There was even some majors where the entrants were bigger than the previous year (NEC 13), had it not been for TYM being so hellbent on the prospect of doubling their site traffic with Injustice (yeah, I said it), who knows where we'd be now.

NurzBenny

Old Member
And MK9 brought me here, the personalities are what kept me here. For MK10 I think we kind of have to do this. Injustice seems like the incubation phase for the communities next great era.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Jr has only won one MLG which was also his last major tournament win.

He is a 3 time MLG top 8 placer though.

REO has only won 2 MLG tournaments but if you want to count 2011 raleigh when it was just a KOTH tournament to qualify to play in top 4 then I believe my MLG Columbus win in 2011 should be counted as well cause it was the same format.

I'm also the only player to get top 8 at EVO all 3 years. Also I'm not egotistical.

Anyway just came in to lay down the facts.
So who would your 7 be Mr. Perfect Legend? You disagree with Slips picks? i think its pretty good representation

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
When i think back on mk9 i agree that the seven you mentioned are often thought of.
I would also say that good people for that documentary would be....Curbo(everyone remembers the birth of f3, dont lie it was hype), the uk coming for evo(ketchup and mustard), and of course Tom Brady. I know these guys didnt have great accomplishments but they are all well known figures in the community that are adorned by people who arent really deep into the tournament scene. They would make great characters in other words.