What's new

I thought I was good, until I came here...

HoneyBee

Flash God Lord
I can already say you have a better attitude than 90% of the people on this site. Keep trying to learn instead of settling and you have what it takes. Never settle and you can be great.
@MadeFromMetal I agree 100%. Great post. I hope you like it here.

In regards to the OP, I would rate the CPU on expert as N/A out of 10. Playing against the AI will never help you in the competitive scene. Competitive play is more about mindgames/spacing/footsies/etc which are all things that the AI is incapable of. The only use for playing against the AI is to practice combos but then you might as well be doing that in practice mode lol.

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
A TYM poster that thinks of himself as a "bad" player.....what's the meaning of this?
Welcome, you came in a great time
It only took reading the Kung Lao variations thread to realize I had no idea what anybody was talking about. I'ma learn, though. Lol.

In regards to the OP, I would rate the CPU on expert as N/A out of 10. Playing against the AI will never help you in the competitive scene. Competitive play is more about mindgames/spacing/footsies/etc which are all things that the AI is incapable of.
I thought what @ERR0R MACR0 said on the previous page was some pretty good advice on using the AI to get better. At least for someone at my level. Do you disagree?

Welcome man. If you want to improve this is the place ti come my friend. Anything you really want to know feel free to holler at me.
Thanks!

where do you live ts?
Chico, CA.

Marvaz

come at me
i see i live in truckee/lake tahoe ca. Just thought id ask since no one in this area plays either. There is a small scene in reno though.

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
Welcome man. Good luck improving/learning. Always available to answer any questions if you feel you need help etc. On 360 & ps4. Also, somethings I heard really helped me improve. They were to never be comfortable because the moment you do is when you stop learning/growing as a player. And a good thought process to have when playing matches is, "what does my opponent want to do." Often times, you will find the opponent will hang themselves but never expect them too.

HoneyBee

Flash God Lord
I thought what @ERR0R MACR0 said on the previous page was some pretty good advice on using the AI to get better. At least for someone at my level. Do you disagree?
What does his post have to do with using the AI? His advice was more so about practicing specific scenarios in practice mode or with another player which is good advice. But I'm not sure what that has to do with playing against the AI.

When I talk about playing against the AI, I mean like ladder mode or single fights against the AI. That's what I'm referring to when I say it's basically useless as far as competitive play is concerned.

MadeFromMetal

What does his post have to do with using the AI? His advice was more so about practicing specific scenarios in practice mode or with another player which is good advice. But I'm not sure what that has to do with playing against the AI.
Damn...My bad. I quoted the wrong person. I meant @TotteryManx. I was reading ERR0R MACR0's post again at the same time replying to yours and got mixed up.

HoneyBee

Flash God Lord
Damn...My bad. I quoted the wrong person. I meant @TotteryManx. I was reading ERR0R MACR0's post again at the same time replying to yours and got mixed up.
oh lol well in any case, I'm a bit biased because I have a brother that I can play with whenever I want so there's never a reason for me to face the AI. Regardless, I would still suggest playing a human opponent instead of the AI, even if the only way to do so is online. Do you play Injustice or just MK?

MadeFromMetal

oh lol well in any case, I'm a bit biased because I have a brother that I can play with whenever I want so there's never a reason for me to face the AI. Regardless, I would still suggest playing a human opponent instead of the AI, even if the only way to do so is online. Do you play Injustice or just MK?
I would definitely agree that the ceiling is much MUCH lower on playing the AI than a human opponent, but if I haven't even reached that ceiling...Why not use it while I can?

I have played Injustice, mostly just completed the story mode. But I'm worse than the AI with every character but Scorpion (go figure).

HoneyBee

Flash God Lord
I would definitely agree that the ceiling is much MUCH lower on playing the AI than a human opponent, but if I haven't even reached that ceiling...Why not use it while I can?

I have played Injustice, mostly just completed the story mode. But I'm worse than the AI with every character but Scorpion (go figure).
Alright well if you want to get better at fighting games in general, I highly recommend playing offline at locals or the like with other TYM members. When MKX comes out, it'll be a fresh start for everyone so find people to play with and maybe you'll find yourself at a major. They're a ton of fun and living in NorCal, I'm sure there's a bunch of people that you could play with. I'll tag some of them here.

@cR WoundCowboy
@Blind_Ducky
@The_SNKE
@Other NorCal players

MadeFromMetal

Alright well if you want to get better at fighting games in general, I highly recommend playing offline at locals or the like with other TYM members. When MKX comes out, it'll be a fresh start for everyone so find people to play with and maybe you'll find yourself at a major.
Hey, man. Thanks a lot. I'm really looking to get involved more and this place has been nothing but welcoming, so far. Much appreciated.

The_SNKE

BLT | RM
Hey dude, welcome!

I co-run BLTB in Sacramento. That's pretty far from Chico but the only thing I can suggest is that maybe try to make it out at least once a month? It took us about 2.5 years (Since MK9 came out) to really establish a legit scene in NorCal. Don't even get me started about the MK9 days, it was hell trying to get any decent training. I do understand the distance issues, but I promise you that our group of guys are some of the best people in the scene. No one will make you feel more like family, and more welcomed than our group. I'm super proud of that.

Unfortunately Cali is so damn big, we're just going to have to accept that we'll have pocket scenes here and there and main scenes where the most players are.

I do have a place for you to start though!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154414174731663/

Join that group! It's for Injustice but most of us are transitioning to MKX so it'll be the same guys lol. I run the group too so I'll make sure to try and see who's near you. We did have a Reptile player who was pretty good and he also lived in Chico. I'll see if he's still around for you!

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
Learn all combos you need (situational/damage) until you can do them 9/10 in practice and they are muscle memory.

Dont rely on those combos

Play a lot of games against a lot of different characters

Learn footsies and frame data

?

Profit

MadeFromMetal

We did have a Reptile player who was pretty good and he also lived in Chico. I'll see if he's still around for you!
If you could, that would be awesome! I requested an invite to the Facebook group so I hope to see you folks soon.

MadeFromMetal

Learn all combos you need (situational/damage) until you can do them 9/10 in practice and they are muscle memory.

Dont rely on those combos
I imagine that's the first hurdle I have to get over is not trying to set up the same combos I practice in real matches. Many times that opening just won't be there. Thanks for the advice!

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
I re read your post MadeFromMetal like 5 times and I feel the exact same way. It can be overwhelming in a way with the amount of information to take in. Its daunting for me at least but its so interesting and fun. This forum is like a bile for Mortal Kombat but its more then that. Just reading the replies is a huge source of great information to improve one of our favorite pass times in this community. I am really appreciative just to be able to study this to such a degree and cant wait to learn more from others. Glad you asked and made this thread.

Good Luck.

MadeFromMetal

I re read your post MadeFromMetal like 5 times and I feel the exact same way. It can be overwhelming in a way with the amount of information to take in. Its daunting for me at least but its so interesting and fun. This forum is like a bile for Mortal Kombat but its more then that. Just reading the replies is a huge source of great information to improve one of our favorite pass times in this community. I am really appreciative just to be able to study this to such a degree and cant wait to learn more from others. Glad you asked and made this thread.

Good Luck.
It will definitely be a challenge, but we can only get better. And being around people who love it as much as we do is the best thing for us. Good luck to you, too.

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
I think Maximilian said it best, you just have to grind, playing the game against people is the only real way to get better. Even scrubs are good for practicing combo execution and wake up punishment against a moving (and mashing) target.

MadeFromMetal

@MadeFromMetal
Hey dude, if it is ermac that you play in MK9 then I can definitely teach you a thing or two about him ;)
I'd appreciate that! I've been an Ermac fan since UMK3 and as of right now, it looks like I'll be maining him in MKX unless Smoke or Erron Black gets revealed, then he'll get the secondary spot. (Smoke is my all time favorite and Erron Black just looks too dope to not play.) But yeah, I'm all ears and all thumbs for whatever knowledge you wanna drop!