What's new

I joined because...

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
I am garbage. ;)

Hello all.

About me: I am 22 years old and MK9 is, whether you can believe it or not, my first fighting game. I usually play a lot of fps's because they're what I play competitively with a few of my xbl friends. They're pretty boring to me now, though, for the most part, as you're either completely destroying scrubs over and over again or losing competitive games due to the other team having host advantage.

I love learning new things, and that's why I picked up MK9 and have been playing it almost exclusively for about a month and a half now. I use Sub-Zero because I find him an interesting challenge, and I've also been developing my Noob Saibot and Lui Kang. To be honest, the reason I got into this game was pretty much because a friend of mine destroyed me about 40 matches in a row before I'd even learned the controls (he's a scrub, though, and only played for his win/loss ratio online, lmao), and I decided I'd learn how to play at a higher level. Since then I've been enjoying the game, although the online is pretty diabolical as it stands, so I just spend a lot of time practising offline.

Cool to meet you all; I live in the UK and it's always good to meet players from the States and elsewhere.

SuperMnC

Noob
I am garbage. ;)

Hello all.

About me: I am 22 years old and MK9 is, whether you can believe it or not, my first fighting game. I usually play a lot of fps's because they're what I play competitively with a few of my xbl friends. They're pretty boring to me now, though, for the most part, as you're either completely destroying scrubs over and over again or losing competitive games due to the other team having host advantage.

I love learning new things, and that's why I picked up MK9 and have been playing it almost exclusively for about a month and a half now. I use Sub-Zero because I find him an interesting challenge, and I've also been developing my Noob Saibot and Lui Kang. To be honest, the reason I got into this game was pretty much because a friend of mine destroyed me about 40 matches in a row before I'd even learned the controls (he's a scrub, though, and only played for his win/loss ratio online, lmao), and I decided I'd learn how to play at a higher level. Since then I've been enjoying the game, although the online is pretty diabolical as it stands, so I just spend a lot of time practising offline.

Cool to meet you all; I live in the UK and it's always good to meet players from the States and elsewhere.
Welcome to TYM. The best thing I could tell you about learning fighting games is, its a thinking man's game whether you think so or not. Sure on some level you can mash buttons and learn cool combos and get wins here or there. But to be really good, you have to think about what your doing and the consiquences of doing something unsafe. More importantly, you have to think about what your opponent is doing and what he's going to do next. I love fighting games cuz it takes skill to play, and the more skill you have, the better youre going to do against people. I'm not very good at them myself but know that if youre starting out, the best way to get better is play. Play play and play some more..and lose. Which for beginners will happen a lot, but its ok. Because with every lose you learn somehthing. At least in my experience anyway. Good luck to you tho, and if you have any questions I'll answer to the best of my ability, and if i cant, i'm sure someone has the knowledge here that can =)

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
I suck too. We should spar online sometime or better yet, you should come out to ECT3 next weekend. ;)

mrsz

O.G. SZ
Welcome salvificblood. I also started with first person shooters before moving on to fighters. I've been playing both genres for over 15 years, but lately I have an itch for fighters over fps.

The best advice I can give you since this is your first fighting game is to just learn the game engine. Each fighting game is obviously different, and this is what differentiates them from one another. So I would start with the following:

http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?3910-Mortal-Kombat-9-System-Guide&p=40004&viewfull=1#post40004

The more you experiment and the more you practice, the better you'll become.

Welcome man, i'm new here also. i cant say i am the best, but i'm sure not a scrub if you want to spar sometime!

goodone

Noob
Yo!

some tips that helped me are to weed out any button mashing because it can ruin your combos (you want to be in complete control of what your character is doing) and like the guy above said predicting and reading means EVERYTHING. You'll have a massive advantage if you can predict the other dudes next moves, as far as what they are trying to set up for etc. Sub-zero is probably the character that requires the most reading, clones can be tricky and clutch. Gluck and see ya around.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
Welcome sir! (Insert sub-zero- learning suggestions here) :D But for realz, you will learn a ton from the people here. Greatest online community for this game that there is, imo.

-b_s- :headbang:

Christy

God Amongst Mere Mortals
Welcome,
I couldn't help but think your story is the same as mine, I used to play FPS primarily and have recently got bored and instead tried MK9, like you its my first fighting game. I live in the UK and play on xbox, if you want to get some freindly online matches going then add me on live, my gamertag is: OldmanChristy

DOWNLOADED

The Cowardly Lion
Welcome! My very first fighter I played all I cared about was having fun with my friend who had it and it was funny sometimes when I was able to pull off moves that he wasn't able to though. When MK came around I became more serious with fighting games in general because I thought it would be better I got better as everyone else got better so then it would not turn out like my experiences with Street Fighter lol.

Welcome to TYM! I'm a total noob but everyone at TYM is extremely helpful and will go out of their way to make you better. If you want to add me online and spar that would be great (as long as you don't mind mirror matches, my main is also sub).