What's new

I do not like the way variations are panning out

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Current controversy? aside I'm not really feeling the variant system in the way NRS has been implementing it, especially with how they don't seem to be sure about what they're gonna be doing with the system other than just onto it. I'm kind of concerned about that, too; that they're going to be throwing more moves in feels to me like it's gonna be hitting a checklist of adding this-n-that move to a character who didn't already have it, rather than something that'd really make them stand out.

I would have much preferred a flat 1-2 variant system where a sole character (or two set in stone variations) has a clear character goal and cohesion because I get a strong feeling that we're gonna be defaulting onto a handful of moves that are obviously the strongest moves outside of extreme examples I can't even think of right now.

I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
Current controversy? aside I'm not really feeling the variant system in the way NRS has been implementing it, especially with how they don't seem to be sure about what they're gonna be doing with the system other than just onto it. I'm kind of concerned about that, too; that they're going to be throwing more moves in feels to me like it's gonna be hitting a checklist of adding this-n-that move to a character who didn't already have it, rather than something that'd really make them stand out.

I would have much preferred a flat 1-2 variant system where a sole character (or two set in stone variations) has a clear character goal and cohesion because I get a strong feeling that we're gonna be defaulting onto a handful of moves that are obviously the strongest moves outside of extreme examples I can't even think of right now.

If I'm reading this right, I agree. To the point where one variation kinda fares well against zoning and the next fares better up close. I actually enjoy counterpicking within a single character and I thought that was the way Mkx was going to play out.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I feel like two good and functional variations is going to be way better at least for online ranked. I’m glad they’re going to keep changing them and balancing them because that’s what I was most afraid of, and not to mention they said it wasn’t going to be the ones from the beta was a huge relief.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Exactly @Kroaken

It's what I'm hoping to see too and it's why I'm not freaking out as much as I was yesterday when I thought they were just slapping moves together just so people could have all the moves one way or another.

If Kano, or any character for that matter, ends up having a rushdown variation that goes around good zoning and a footsies focused variation to keep characters out, I'd be more than happy (if it's done correctly of course).

Fingers crossed...

The good news is that at least it'll make competitive "seasons" for the game feel fresh.
New variations will come out and change everything up entirely.

And when/if the kustom system is usable in competitive play it'll feel like a completely different game.

hkriderz

Lin Kuei Scum, yellow robot enthusiast
What I don't like about the 2 variation system is that we're definitely gonna be missing a ton of moves to use on launch, which is what they did in injustice 2. We're at the mercy of the devs and what they choose on the same 3-slot system.

Also the fact that they're going to be adding more variations over time sounds terrible to me. So allowing custom selection is too complicated but having to deal with a new variation every patch or so isn't? Also in addition with releasing DLC with their own variations... This sounds worse than the incessant patching of mkx to me.

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
What I don't like about the 2 variation system is that we're definitely gonna be missing a ton of moves to use on launch, which is what they did in injustice 2. We're at the mercy of the devs and what they choose on the same 3-slot system.

Also the fact that they're going to be adding more variations over time sounds terrible to me. So allowing custom selection is too complicated but having to deal with a new variation every patch or so isn't? Also in addition with releasing DLC with their own variations... This sounds worse than the incessant patching of mkx to me.
I understand where you're coming from. At this point, however, it's about just making the best of the situation as we know it.

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
How fine I am with the system as is revolves largely around how good the variations we start with are and the rate and quantity at which more are added. I think if a third variation isn't added within the first... let's say month, or month and a half if I'm being generous, it'd be pretty questionable.

I wonder how tournaments will handle the expansion, though. Will there be a period where they are not legal, like additional characters? Or, since they're composed of tools that were already in the game, are they gonna be treated more leniently? Something to think about.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I mean, as of now, they’ve squandered the system in the same was as I2. There are going to be bottom-tier characters that would be fine if they had a “gear” move as one of their baseline moves, and the only reason they don’t have that move is to justify the gear system.

LDA_DIgi

A changed man...or shokan master lol.
Use kustom variations for kompetitive play!

You DO NOT have to be at the mercy of nrs and settle for just 2 variations (and u DO NOT have to wait for the added UI on the character select screen either). Use your own:

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
That's a lovely thought, but according to trends in fighting games, NRS will most likely run their own tournament circuit with a lot of money put into it. Many majors will be integrated into it. And this typically means NRS dictates the rules.

And because this is the ruleset "at the top", many who are not part of it will want their event to practice similar rules so that the top players aren't forced to play two entirely different games. At best, you could hope your locals are open to the idea.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!

Just cancel your preorder.

LDA_DIgi

A changed man...or shokan master lol.
That's a lovely thought, but according to trends in fighting games, NRS will most likely run their own tournament circuit with a lot of money put into it. Many majors will be integrated into it. And this typically means NRS dictates the rules.

And because this is the ruleset "at the top", many who are not part of it will want their event to practice similar rules so that the top players aren't forced to play two entirely different games. At best, you could hope your locals are open to the idea.
While you're definitely NOT wrong. We're doing Kustom Variations anyway lol. We want to play mk11 to its maximum potential. And we also believe this is the perfect way to please everyone while saving as much time as possible.

By "we", i mean the people in my local community. We've been discussing this for over a month now...waiting on NRS decision about how they'll implement kustom variations competitively.

We're not happy with their decision (for now), so we're doing it our way.

I suggest others do the same to make it known to NRS we want kustom variations for competitive play now...not later.

Dont advertise to me...NRS...in every kombat kast u do about the kustom loadouts 16bit gives his characters, and how those loadouts will make the character tournament viable...and then i cant even do that when the game comes out.

No!

that shit was in injustass 2 (hyping up custom loadouts only to find out we couldn't use them in offline tournaments).

Its not gonna fly in mk11