What's new

how'd you choose a main?

d3c0yBoY

Noob
I like well-rounded characters. Kabal has both a strong rushdown and zoning game making him my obvious choice.

Edit: In my opinion he is also the best looking non-ninja character in the game with his sick design and nasty looking hooks. Lets not forget the dash. Zoom zoom zoooom!

JagoMIH

Noob
same as you, kabal is my main right now. he was one of the first chars i picked and started liking his moves. i also liked him in umk3.

i also like cyber sub-zero's concept and started trying him out and liked him too. same for ermac.

Dark_Rob

Noob
I havent really settled on a main yet. I started off with Reptile but THTB has him on lock, so I think Il leave him in his capable hands lol.
Ive mostly been using Smoke and SubZero.

Eshi

Noob
robot ninjas are cool so I picked Cyrax. then it turned out he was GDLK and all was right with the world.

Frost

Noob
Gah, played again and God, they're all over the place... I really wish to learn to use noob but he's too difficult... I also started liking Reptile and Sonya Blade... So far I like:
1)Ermac
2)Noob
3)Reptile
4)Sonya Blade
5) Cyrax
6) CSZ

What are the main differences between CSZ and Cyrax, they feel very similar with the bombs?? Choosing a main is getting to be a bit of a b%^$@.

What are the main differences between CSZ and Cyrax, they feel very similar with the bombs?? Choosing a main is getting to be a bit of a b%^$@.
Cyrax's bombs are faster and are less punishable. CSZ has the dive kick too. Other than that not much besides the obvious differences like saw/no saw, different move sets. That's my input as a CSZ main but others may say different things.

When i first got the game i started learning cyrax as he was my main in umk3 but lately i have been messing with reptile after seeing him played at a high level on various streams i liked how he played so im just gonna stick with these two characters.

Frost

Noob
How come I haven't found any sektor/cyrax/sonya blades in some tourney's yet? does anyone know any good sonya/cyrax/sektor payers that are recorded in justin tv or youtube? I would like to see how they play out in a competitive level...

How come I haven't found any sektor/cyrax/sonya blades in some tourney's yet? does anyone know any good sonya/cyrax/sektor payers that are recorded in justin tv or youtube? I would like to see how they play out in a competitive level...
Big Marcus had a good Cyrax during Powerup. I would check that out.

Nine

Noob
This seems like as a good a place to ask as any, so I'll put this here.

I have very limited time to play this game so I'm wondering if, with a little guidance, some of you might be able to point me in the right direction with my character selection.

I tend to play "Jack of all trade" characters. In SSF4 i played mostly, (in order of most used) Juri, Sagat, T.Hawk, Honda, and Gouken. So, some zoning (whether by projectiles or by good normals), but with rushdown potential, via mixups or just good pressure.

In Blazblue I played Mu, so some zoning, good normals, and tricky oki games.

The problem I am having with MK is that it seems like everyone in the cast is one of these characters! Almost everyone has a projectile and some decent zoning,but also has some rushdown capability. Can anyone help clear things up a little for me? Right now I have just gotten the game and am looking at Reptile and Noob, but I'm very open to other ideas if these characters don't fit the bill.

Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance!

I didn't choose my main........ he chose ME!

But in all honesty, I played Scorpion during the demo and figured i'd try him in the full game.. No thanks. He is weak, in my eyes, and quite boring after awhile. I actually just said one day i'd try to play Cyrax and see what I could do and I haven't even touched another character since.

Down the road i'll learn 3-5 more characters as well as I know Cyrax, but until I get a grasp of the game 100%, i'm sticking with him. However, there are a lot of other good choices. Kung Lao is clearly beast, Kabal is sick too. Even some girls, like Kitana, are deadly. I don't know who else i'd choose, which is why i'm sticking to Cyrax. Tom Brady's Sub Zero changed my entire perspective on him as a character, but I feel he is too defensive/zone controlling for me. I'd prefer to be more aggressive than offensive.

I honestly picked Cyrax just because I liked his concept, didn't realize he had some serious potential. :)

EDIT: Just watched the PowerUP and saw Big Marcus' fight. I don't want to offend everyone, especially Marcus if he is watching, but I didn't understand the play. A lot of dropped combos, a lot of nets and command throws that could have been punished much better. I liked a few things, like the ex reverse kick throw in the beginning against aggressive players for the first hit. However, the command grab would have worked much better in this fight with 22 rather than 111. One less hit, but no knockdown on no block, and a lot easier to time. Just a few things to think about. Haven't seen dandy j yet!

AC1984

Kaballin!
I got my mains based on preferences and not gameplay...Happily it turned that I feel good playing them.

Eight

I am the salt
I was originally planning on maining Raiden

but when I was playing through the story, I got to the Cyrax chapter and just had a blast with him. Just stuck with him since then.

Well I already knew who I was gonna main from pre-launch (Johnny Cage). Loved him since MK1 where he had the nike shoes and hooping shorts on lookin like he came from the basketball court lol. This time around though, I actually dabbled some with the rest of the cast to get a feel for how all the characters played and how they worked.

D. R.

Noob
Choosing a main. Fun times.

I just play a character because I like the character. For me, it comes down to character design and persona actually. Tekken, it's Jin and Lars, SSF4 it was Gouken, SC4 it was Nightmare, and now MK, it's Noob. Out of all those characters, one's considered top tier. lol

In choosing a main, it boils down to a couple things that need to be considered: 1. If you want to play to win, possibly tier whoring, 2. Playing devoted to a certain character, or 3. Just playing for the sake of playing. Usually people play for one or more of these reasons, competitively and/or casually. I play for them all. Noob's not easy tier, but has the tools to mess someone up with the quickness, so I'm confident with more character knowledge down the road, It'll get easier to own people. I like Noob and I've stated I was going to play him even before the game's release. I like rushing down but he's far from made for it, however I'm sticking with him regardless due to his BAMF status. I'm trying to develop all kinds of different ways to create combo opportunities and damage as I've shown in some vids I've posted. Also, he's fun. Awesome character design, story (The OG Subz), unblockable resets in the corner(!) and mean ass fatalities. Noob's bad ass to me and I'm making him work.

So yeah, boom, my thesis on picking a main. :china:

Normally I choose the spear user, I like spear and most of the time they are either a tank or a crow control character, it's always useful in parties too.... oh wait, you mean a main in fighting games how silly of me. :p

I normally play grapplers, Unblockable trains of muscle and pain ready to rape your ass if you let them get in and 360 your shit, but since MK9 don't have nothing like that I went to what I feel more comfortable with which in this case is Trevor Goddard.

PS: sorry for the lame attempt to be funny at the start.

RayRokka

Noob
I usually pick the character that I can execute the best. It allows for seamless leveling up because you can immediately get to tactics. Once I am more comfortable with the system I will experiment with other characters more and eventually move on.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
How did I choose my main. Well I used reptile back in the days of MKII and MK3. I tryed reptile in this game and loved him but i used to use noob/smoke in deception and I decided to try out noob.

I had a lot of fun with him. Realizing he has great resets and hes great for mind games so I chose him.

I like characters tht can zone yet still have a pressure game or some what of it. In guilty gear i used zappa, blazblue i used arakune, ssf4 i used dhalsim (believe thts how u spell it) So in the end noob feels perfect for me.