What's new

How to understand and Anti-Air in MKX

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
How can you how the scrubs say it "spam" moves that are usually - on block? lol
I have no ideea what you said since you probably mistyped something or missing some punctuation but I'll deduce it was a shot at me being a scrub since I used the word spam and d3 which is negative on block and you can't mash it.

I didn't mean mashing d3 in block, i mean opponents who d3 you for advantage repeatedly so you have to block low. Once you do, they have you trained waiting for it, and instead of d3ing they jump to cross you over. In MK9 this was an invitation for a d1 anti air into full combo.

Here, it doesn't work so well so you have to get up from crouch block and run away under them as the best bet. That or hope you have a good uppercut to get them as soon as they cross over your head. Sub's j1 is a nightmare in this kind of situations.

That's what I meant.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Yeah, you're better off trying to evade an air attack rather than counter it. It's just stupid as hell that so many characters can 50/50 off it. It makes certain jump ins very strong.

Even stronger when stupid fucking characters like Sonya get a Ji1 that has 16 active frames, or Raiden who has 11 active frames while characters with no immediate 50/50s like Johnny (4 frame), Liu (3 frame), and Lao (3 frame) get crappy JI1s. They can cross you up with ease.

Jump ins are strong in this game and when there are like 20 characters who can immediately mix you up for free it's lame as shit.

Universally buff d2 just like was done in IGAU. LETS GO!

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
This means I can get back into my habit of Elbow Dashing jump-ins on whiff? Didn't know characters could still be punished upon landing. I thought they removed that.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
I have no ideea what you said since you probably mistyped something or missing some punctuation but I'll deduce it was a shot at me being a scrub since I used the word spam and d3 which is negative on block and you can't mash it.

I didn't mean mashing d3 in block, i mean opponents who d3 you for advantage repeatedly so you have to block low. Once you do, they have you trained waiting for it, and instead of d3ing they jump to cross you over. In MK9 this was an invitation for a d1 anti air into full combo.

Here, it doesn't work so well so you have to get up from crouch block and run away under them as the best bet. That or hope you have a good uppercut to get them as soon as they cross over your head. Sub's j1 is a nightmare in this kind of situations.

That's what I meant.
That is part of the meta game. Nothing wrong with it.

D3s are advantage on hit so it leads to pressure and mix ups which is normal on any fighter.

If you get hit by a d3 just block next hit is not easy to block all incoming mix ups but its what its and if they go for another d3 they will be - and thats where you counter poke etc.

English isn't my native language. I'm sorry that you are a grammar nazy :p

Israel

Noob
Maannn Anti-Airing w/ normals in this game does not work. Burning the meter seems to be the only logical / consistent way of handling it and/or dashing away. I got bopped too many times in the forehead for trying to defend myself. So i just have to respect it.

But i really do appreciate the thread and all that you've brought to the table. i will try to analyze this the best i can off of what you stated. 1 question tho @Eddy Wang , what about the frames when the opponent comes DOWN with a NJ1. those are generally Plus right? do u know the frames or if any char's may be neg on that.

Thx

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
This means I can get back into my habit of Elbow Dashing jump-ins on whiff? Didn't know characters could still be punished upon landing. I thought they removed that.
If that gets removed there is no reason to not jump against non AA characters at all.
Not only is still in the game, but they improved them, now you can whiff punish jump kicks which used to be safe, and NJPs as well.
So far with reptile i've punished characters in similar manner after elbow dashing away from them, but be wary that if they empty jump they will block elbow dashing.

Maannn Anti-Airing w/ normals in this game does not work. Burning the meter seems to be the only logical / consistent way of handling it and/or dashing away. I got bopped too many times in the forehead for trying to defend myself. So i just have to respect it.

But i really do appreciate the thread and all that you've brought to the table. i will try to analyze this the best i can off of what you stated. 1 question tho @Eddy Wang , what about the frames when the opponent comes DOWN with a NJ1. those are generally Plus right? do u know the frames or if any char's may be neg on that.

Thx
all NJPs on the way down are safe, but doesn't grant a followup meterless without you stuffing out with a fast normal.

Israel

Noob
Thx.
People usually follow up with an attack immediately afterwards, when i get the chance im going to test to see if its pretty much neutral on block or is there some slight advantage... so i can see if i can attempt to poke my opponent during the same time.

With Reptile i know for sure is..(and perhaps any other char w/ a slide) that if ur opponent crosses you up, if u input slide immediately it will be them out of the jump punch (not sure about the kick). However u gotta input that in immediately or it wont work. But, if your that good at reacting then just armoring would be better. If you got it.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
This thread has a lot of good information and all but I think most of it is only good on paper. Risking a mistimed anti air jab is not worth a potential free combo for your opponent. And guessing when your opponent times their jump in attacks is not a viable strategy for the same reason. Performing a run under, dash or walk backwards seem the most practical. But like someone posted earlier these are not true Anti-Airs. These are whiff punish strategies.

The fact of the matter is anti-airing in this game is complete ass. AA is a very critical element to any fughting game and NRS has had 3 games now to get right, only to botch it up even worse than the game's before it. Every single anti air grab in this game gets beat out by jump ins or even trades, like when the fuck has that ever happened in a fighting game, Smh.

D2 is the only universal AA that is decent, and if you're D2 sucks you are boned, Unless you play a character with a fast AA special like Cassie Cage, Raiden, Kung Lao etc..
I know where you're coming from, i don't completely agree or disagree with your post at all, but given the fact that some strategies for some characters will force a straight up routine, you can take advantage of this situation and use the other forms of whiff punishing.

Scorpion is a straight example of this, his j3 is 6 frames and works great against air to air, in Ninjitsu his B2 to be beaten out has to be with early kick or punches, in hellfire delayed jump attacks are all beaten by flame aura.

So by deafult someone who doesn't want to get stuffed by these will do earlier jumps since those can beat scorpion's options mentioned above, aside from J3 which is so damn good, if i'm not position to beat them out of the air with flame aura, i can just duck and punish them on this read, since flame aura punishes are consistent people who fall under their patterns (mistakes opportunities) can get duck punished a lot by ninjutsu and hellfire alone since they don't want to get hit by flame aura or B2.

Johnny Cage has something similar, since his ex Nut cracker is a armored AA people will to early jump ins to avoid it, which invites duck punish.

I don't think its impratical at all, its all a mater of how your character can deal with certain air attacks that they will be forced to bet to the safest option knowing is your first go to defense, while opening themselves to others

Reactions: D4G

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
I was having trouble with this early on, but using Ermac and Kotal Khan alleviated much of the trouble safe jumping was giving me. Ermac has a down to back 2 to up move that stops it and Kotal Khan covers so much ground on his forward 1, 2 that he's not there to be hit. Dive Kicks can give Kotal trouble, but not if you know its coming. Just step aside and load up on whatever evil punishment that comes to mind.