What's new

how to stop negative edge

DanCock

Cock Master!!
here is an example of negative edge​

sindel has a 3 hit combo that is bp then fp. but if you add df after you press fp
negative edge will kick in and cancel out the fp attack and do a special move if that button
contains one and as you can see sindel has a fireball attack.
this is negative edge.

heres where negative edge gets annoying

if a person wants to do :bp, :fp into a special move that is done with another button sindel cant because negative edge kicks in ignoring the actual
special move you want done with another button like step up which is done with :bk
you could cancel out negative edge by just delaying the d,f into :bk but then this becomes a timing thing and you can end up botching the whole combo and nothing will come out after :fp. re watch the first video and see that i
am pressing :bk as well and the game is ignoring that because of negative edge..

well heres how you can cancel out the negative edge.​

you hold down the button/s you dont want a special move to come out of.
as you can see in the next video i am pressing the same amount of buttons and d,f as before with out delaying, and the special move/s i want to come out are coming out, instead of the one/s i dont want coming out.

in the case of sindel negative edge could creep out of no where with both :bp and :fp, so you want to press and hold :bp, then follow it up with pressing and holding :fp then do d,f and what ever button you want. if you want to use the hair whip,
you simply release :bp then hit it again after you hold down :fp..

this works with every character.

***********EDIT*********** i just discovered this tonight, but just after i posted this i see another thread with a similar topic has forum member vulcan hades posting how to do this.. i personally had no idea of this post and there could be other posts with just how to stop it else where on the site so i take no credit for finding this out.. however i didnt see those posts before i found this out myself..************* but i feel this thread is good since it covers the whole negative edge topic completely with videos..

here is an example of negative edge​

sindel has a 3 hit combo that is bp then fp. but if you add df after you press fp
negative edge will kick in and cancel out the fp attack and do a special move if that button
contains one and as you can see sindel has a fireball attack.
this is negative edge.

heres where negative edge gets annoying

if a person wants to do :bp, :fp into a special move that is done with another button sindel cant because negative edge kicks in ignoring the actual
special move you want done with another button like step up which is done with :bk
you could cancel out negative edge by just delaying the d,f into :bk but then this becomes a timing thing and you can end up botching the whole combo and nothing will come out after :fp. re watch the first video and see that i
am pressing :bk as well and the game is ignoring that because of negative edge..

well heres how you can cancel out the negative edge.​

you hold down the button/s you dont want a special move to come out of.
as you can see in the next video i am pressing the same amount of buttons and d,f as before with out delaying, and the special move/s i want to come out are coming out, instead of the one/s i dont want coming out.

in the case of sindel negative edge could creep out of no where with both :bp and :fp, so you want to press and hold :bp, then follow it up with pressing and holding :fp then do d,f and what ever button you want. if you want to use the hair whip,
you simply release :bp then hit it again after you hold down :fp..

this works with every character.

***********EDIT*********** i just discovered this tonight, but just after i posted this i see another thread with a similar topic has forum member vulcan hades posting how to do this.. i personally had no idea of this post and there could be other posts with just how to stop it else where on the site so i take no credit for finding this out.. however i didnt see those posts before i found this out myself..************* but i feel this thread is good since it covers the whole negative edge topic completely with videos..
So I can understand better, can you explain how I would do 2,2 then down, back 1 with Ermac?

Because online, whenever I try 2,2 to force lift a damn force ball comes out.

So I can understand better, can you explain how I would do 2,2 then down, back 1 with Ermac?

Because online, whenever I try 2,2 to force lift a damn force ball comes out.
Game reads input twice (when you press and when you release a button). Negative edge window opens when you release a button (ex: by releasing 2, you send an extra 2 input in the buffer). So to avoid negative edge, you just hold it down and release it after you input the rest of your combo string. This will prevent the buffer to take priority over your next inputs. So in your case you would do 2, 2 (hold it down), D, B, 1, then release 2. Of course this is harder on pad than on stick, but it's a good trick until NRS reduces the negative edge window.

btw You didn't have to quote the whole thread lol. :p

Thanks DanCock. Pinning this is a good idea because it's a problem that affects a lot of people. :)

there should be an option in the controller setting where you can disable negative edge or reduce the number of frames its active for.

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
Okay, silly question, but did NRS intentionally include negative edge, or is this just one of those things that every game manufacturer has to deal with?

Okay, silly question, but did NRS intentionally include negative edge, or is this just one of those things that every game manufacturer has to deal with?
Negative edge is pretty much in every fighting game (at least that I know of). Basically, it's supposed to help scrubby casual players with poor execution. But also helps make the chain cancels feel more natural and fluid.

But the command inputs in MK9 are so easy to do, that making the negative edge window that big is almost insulting.

That being said, I feel like negative edge is an important aspect of fighting games so I wouldn't want NRS to completely remove it. But it needs to be a very very small window (like SSF4).

davidovitch

In Europe!
What I do to avoid negative edge is for let's say a FP, FP, d,b,BP combo (where d,b,FP would also be a special move) I unput FP, FP, BP, d,b

In other words: you can input the punch or kick first and then the motion. The motion will then apply to the last punch or kick you pressed.

Seems like an easier method than having to hold down a button while inputting a move with another button.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
What I do to avoid negative edge is for let's say a FP, FP, d,b,BP combo (where d,b,FP would also be a special move) I unput FP, FP, BP, d,b

In other words: you can input the punch or kick first and then the motion. The motion will then apply to the last punch or kick you pressed.

Seems like an easier method than having to hold down a button while inputting a move with another button.
That's how you do negative edge with the button you want. Not sure why your confused.

This is about how to make sure it happens with the button you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For negative edge, I just always put in the next combo after the last hit hits. Like FP, FP (wait till FP actually goes through), DF BP or w/e, just making something up. I've never had a problem with it.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
For negative edge, I just always put in the next combo after the last hit hits. Like FP, FP (wait till FP actually goes through), DF BP or w/e, just making something up. I've never had a problem with it.
It all depends on the character because some you can hit confirm with like nightwolf and others you have to commit to a combo like most of sindels combos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justice

Noob
Yeah, it's brutal. It's so bad that me, as a low-intermediate player at best, am forced to use the d-pad because I'll jump in the middle of a combo or whip out a Rings in a 112 kombo.

Also too, remember that kombo inputs are extremely forgiving. Sometimes slowing your inputs down is enough to kombat negative edge.

I don't know if this is negative edge or not but it has gotten ot the point where I don't wanna play the game anymore. I was playing as sub zero and my buddy playing as cyrax, he was walking towards me and I go for a ice freeze DF3 and he throws out a kick, so then i jump back because he is getting close and i hit DB1 for ice clone and he throws out a punch, so i just turned off the game.

I don't know if this is negative edge or not but it has gotten ot the point where I don't wanna play the game anymore. I was playing as sub zero and my buddy playing as cyrax, he was walking towards me and I go for a ice freeze DF3 and he throws out a kick, so then i jump back because he is getting close and i hit DB1 for ice clone and he throws out a punch, so i just turned off the game.
That's not negative edge. Most probably input delay/lag that screwed up your inputs, your shitty xbox controller or your lack of execution skill. Or all 3 combined. :)

Then again, it's kinda hard to have good execution when you play online on a xbox controller. :/ I have pretty good execution at SSF4 but in this game for some reason my character tends to jump a lot when I just want to do B, F moves. It's the stupid pad's sensitivity. It seems to be greater in this game.

I use negative edge to my advantage with Rain. I'll do a Roundhouse then press 43, after the 3, i'll just input down back and the geyser kick comes out. and if i do down forward the water ball will come out and i continue my combo.

Alice

Haaave you met Sektor?
Yeah, well about this controller thing... I must use this one, I cannot really find another good controller for X-box and cannot get a pad here in Hungary. Like they don't even exist. It is all in that how you grab that controller, the up axis is way too sensitive, so you place your thumb to the lower part of the d-pad thus eliminate randim jumps completely. The down axis works correctly so you won't get random downs in your input.

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
Personally i find negative edge useful. Go into Practice with Lui Kang and try out B31 BF4. The game reads that as B31 Bicycle Kick, which is BBF4.So you only have to press bask twice rather than three times. Essentially you use one button press for two inputs. Makes ending a combo real easy, B312 dash B312 dash B312 dash B31 BF4 gives you an easy high thirties combo.

xAnnunaki

tethysocean
I find negative edge useful for many things also, mainly in my case connecting things like d1+cutter or d4+acid hand etc.. its like all I have to do is press down 1 then hit 2 d,f. I dunno I used to think it sucked to for dropping so many combos but like they said, people would find good uses for it. The best thing I can tell you though is not to get to hasty that seems to be the main problem when dropping combos due to NE. And I know what you mean by Sindels 2,1 I was having problems with NE making a fireball after the 2 input and completely cancelling out the 1 when all I really wanted to do was 2,1 kick, or w/e its called lol.