What's new

How to punish correctly?

I don't understand how to punish correctly. I was fighting a cat woman and she was hitting me with combo strings and I would block all of the string and then I would try and counter but she would always still hit me first. I don't understand how to counter attack in this game. I mean.. if I can't attack even after blocking her whole string, what is the point of blocking? She is going to start hitting me with another string anyway.

Also, how do you do block escapes?

Overall, what is the proper way to punish after you have just blocked a string from an opponent?

cyke_out

Noob
I don't understand how to punish correctly. I was fighting a cat woman and she was hitting me with combo strings and I would block all of the string and then I would try and counter but she would always still hit me first. I don't understand how to counter attack in this game. I mean.. if I can't attack even after blocking her whole string, what is the point of blocking? She is going to start hitting me with another string anyway.

Also, how do you do block escapes?

Overall, what is the proper way to punish after you have just blocked a string from an opponent?

Frame data is the answer to any question like this. You need to know the disadvantage/advantage of the move you blocked. some moves she can attack and hit you before your attacks lands, some moves, you can hit her while she is recovering, or before she can attack afterwards.

Push blocking is while blocking, hit the meter button

Frame data is the answer to any question like this. You need to know the disadvantage/advantage of the move you blocked. some moves she can attack and hit you before your attacks lands, some moves, you can hit her while she is recovering, or before she can attack afterwards.

Push blocking is while blocking, hit the meter button
So my best option is to push block? Shazam has no moves that can hit catwoman before she begins another string.. I hate fighting cat woman so much. I feel like she is handed free 35 percent damage combos off one meter bar. Her move that makes you slump over opening you up for a free wall bounce is stupid. I can't even use shazams wall bounce because he has nothing to set it up properly.

cyke_out

Noob
So my best option is to push block? Shazam has no moves that can hit catwoman before she begins another string.. I hate fighting cat woman so much. I feel like she is handed free 35 percent damage combos off one meter bar. Her move that makes you slump over opening you up for a free wall bounce is stupid. I can't even use shazams wall bounce because he has nothing to set it up properly.
You mean the cat dash move that is -14 on block and leaves her wide open for almost anything you want do to after you block it?

Reptile Orion

A Fire Will Rise.
Frame data is definitely the answer to punishing correctly. In practice mode they have all the data you need for specific moves.

You mean the cat dash move that is -14 on block and leaves her wide open for almost anything you want do to after you block it?
I have no problems punishing that one.. but she has a kick string that is hard to punish. basically, how do I punish lighter combos? Also, shazam has poor punishing I believe. I will punish them and only end up doing about 28 percent and that is with 2 meter bars. I have to use EX standing grab into EX low grab and then 112. Its not very damaging but I can't really link any higher than that.

cyke_out

Noob
You really need to take her to the lab and record the moves that are giving you trouble and learn her frame data and your own, shazam's standing 1 is 9 frame start up, which is pretty standard for all of the cast.

I'm sorry, but there is no magical answer other than practice and study.

Xev

Noob
You can use shazam's wall bounce after his ex dbf command grab, learn it and love it. His dbf mb command grab is amazing.

You really need to take her to the lab and record the moves that are giving you trouble and learn her frame data and your own, shazam's standing 1 is 9 frame start up, which is pretty standard for all of the cast.

I'm sorry, but there is no magical answer other than practice and study.
yeah but shazams basic 1 is complete trash because it doesn't lead into anything good.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
HeavyRisk413: I have to agree with everyone here, you need to take CW into the lab and take what moves are giving you hell and practice countering them, this and the frame data will help you figure it out.

Finally study learning what strings lead into what and how best to use them in a fight, Shazaam has so much potential and can do some very evil things with his moves.

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
The Shazam forum has good tips for this,and Phase 3's guide is super helpful. I'm not sure about which catwoman moves are frame traps or not, but know that Shazam has a 6 frame d1 that is +1 on block. It's one of the best counterpoke moves in the game, and if they knee-jerk block low or crouch during/after the d1, you get a free low grab, which you can meter burn for some SERIOUS damage.

Shazam has some very good options - check his guide for them.

-#1 shazam upplayer