What's new

How to breach kenshi

Red

Noob
well.. i ndidnt see a thread that talks a strategy to get inside on kenshi.. so i thought i'd start it...

when playing with a character that doesnt teleport .. a kenshi player can really get some turtle game going i realized today...

i did breach a guy a few times.. but i really couldnt find a system and gameplan on how to do it..

i would pretty much block the combo spirit every time.. but once i got in range of the spirit shoulder.. i started to get a little fustrated...

i dont really get alot of playing time myself... and I'm trying to stay decent at this game so i can still be competitive at tournaments and not get swept when i show up to one..

So does anyone have any input or suggestions..

I'd like to hear all strats with all characters on how to breach the blind beast

Well, from what I've seen (being the Kenshi player) my friend was able to crouch the tele flurry. This lead to mix ups with trhe overhead slash, but I had to get him before he moved, otherwise I was done because it's sooo punishable on wiff.

The shoulder is only good at mid range, and that's also where it's the most punishable. If you anticipate is, you can jump over and get a free combo.

Kenshi's specials seem to be mostly for mid range, with the exception of the TF/OHS mix up. However, from mid range, all of his moves are really punishable on block or whiff. Kenshi just really makes you jump alot, but has very little fast moves to get people off of him, or punish mistakes. His get off me move seems to jsut be his 1, 1. He's almost like Shang Tsung in that respect. If he can controll the fight, he'll take it easily, but once he makes a wrong guess, he's kinda screwed as it relates to getting back to a desirable position.

My take on him. Stay salty my friends.

Well, from what I've seen (being the Kenshi player) my friend was able to crouch the tele flurry. This lead to mix ups with trhe overhead slash, but I had to get him before he moved, otherwise I was done because it's sooo punishable on wiff.

The shoulder is only good at mid range, and that's also where it's the most punishable. If you anticipate is, you can jump over and get a free combo.

Kenshi's specials seem to be mostly for mid range, with the exception of the TF/OHS mix up. However, from mid range, all of his moves are really punishable on block or whiff. Kenshi just really makes you jump alot, but has very little fast moves to get people off of him, or punish mistakes. His get off me move seems to jsut be his 1, 1. He's almost like Shang Tsung in that respect. If he can controll the fight, he'll take it easily, but once he makes a wrong guess, he's kinda screwed as it relates to getting back to a desirable position.

My take on him. Stay salty my friends.
He is right, Jump from mid range distance but not a inch closer or your going to eat an TKS overhead slash.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Yeah, unlike Ermac, you can jump his mental attacks easier at least I have so far, but if you're FAR from Kenshi, that's not good because you need to get in on him. To me it's like fighting a second Ermac, but different....I've noticed he does have a mix ups up close, with his high into low and low into highs so while he's a range character at heart, he can hold his own up close as well.

Red

Noob
yea from what ive noticed in playing against him...

its more like fighting a second noob.. accept this kenshi i think is stronger at midrange than noob.

since the release of kenshi.. i think he equals the tier of noob.. but surpasses ermac in being a range character.

xxvic1ousxx

Awake and Dreaming...
I wouldn't suggest jumping too often (from any range, unless it's a crossup), as I feel Kenshi's moveset is great for anti-airing. Things like armored moves, fast specials, dash blocking fast and an inconsistent fireball pattern are what's going to help you get in.

After playing as Kenshi for a while, I've noticed the best way to breach Kenshi.

You need to get familiar with dash cancelling into block. Jumping from any distance is a bad idea, except for trying to cross up a Kenshi who is waking up with jump punches.

Kenshi has zero projectiles that hit low. His Tele-flurry hits high, his slash down hits overhead. So when trying to approach, there is no reason why you should crouch, unless you are literally in danger of being chipped to death. Crouching at any time is an invitation to eat 10% from the overhead. You can't make too many 10% mistakes, especially considering his BnB is so easy to do, needs no bar and puts you AGAIN at full screen.

Once you're at mid range, it becomes a guessing game. Sad to admit it, but it does. A wrong jump and you're eating either 10% from the close overhead, or the db1 launcher into f32bf2 putting you at full screen again. Dash at the wrong time and a bf2 can put you in the full screen range again. You still need to get closer, so dash cancel blocks, look out of a jumping Kenshi trying to start his BnB and when you're in sweep distance, you can then punish him, or jump in. But when you're in sweep distance his f32 starter can hit, so he can go to f32db1, ff, f32bf2 putting you at... well, full screen again.

If you must keep the pressure on Kenshi (I suggest this a LOT), beware Tele-flurry/Launcher on wakeup. They have armor. Tele-flurry will put you at mid screen range or further, Launcher will put you in the air for another f32bf2 to do what I've said a billion times. Instead cross him up when he is waking up to stuff the inputs for his wakeups. Mix up throws, especially if your character's throw doesn't move him far away.

Lastly, if your character has an EX move or wakeup move that has armor and travels a decent distance, use it at the appropriate range, e.g. Skarlet's Dash, Nightwolf's Shoulder Charge, Cage's Shadow Kick.