What's new

How to beat raiden

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I use Raiden and I think I've got just the knowledge for you.

ALL of Raiden's attacks cannot break a standing block, except for the third part of his 2 to 2 to b4 string, his leg sweep, and his grab. He generally has high-height attacks that you can duck and low-poke him out of. He can mix the teleport into his pressure tactics pretty well, but often you can just low-poke or maybe grab him right when he comes out of the teleport, as it is unsafe.

If aggression doesn't work that well for the Raiden player, be ready to anticipate his Superman and counter it. It is easily read and punished if misused. He might also try chucking Lightning Bolts at you from afar. I wouldn't suggest trying to jump over them because it's likely he'll Superman you as a consequence.

As far as using cross-ups against him? If the Raiden player has meter, he could either use his Vicinity Blast or enhance his Electric Grab, gaining a punish off of either. More often than not you'll likely see a lot of Lightning Bolts or Vicinity Blasts.

The best thing I can suggest is to be very patient and keep up a defensive game. His normals do not seem to be fast, but his low pokes can help keep you in check, so watch for that. If you aren't willing to stand your ground and read the player's actions, Raiden will walk all over you.

I'm sure there are other Raiden players who can lend you some advice on this topic, like BW1ZZ and Raidenwins.

Altaire

Noob
I use Raiden and I think I've got just the knowledge for you.

ALL of Riaden's attacks cannot break a standing block, except for the third part of his 2 to 2 to b4 string, his leg sweep, and his grab. He generally has high-height attacks that you can duck and low-poke him out of. He can mix the teleport into his pressure tactics pretty well, but often you can just low-poke or maybe grab him right when he comes out of the teleport, as it is unsafe.

If aggression doesn't work that well for the Raiden player, be ready to anticipate his Superman and counter it. It is easily read and punished if misused. He might also try chucking Lightning Bolts at you from afar. I wouldn't suggest trying to jump over them because it's likely he'll Superman you as a consequence.

As far as using cross-ups against him? If the Raiden player has meter, he could either use his Vicinity Blast or enhance his Electric Grab, gaining a punish off of either. More often than not you'll likely see a lot of Lightning Bolts or Vicinity Blasts.

The best thing I can suggest is to be very patient and keep up a defensive game. His normals do not seem to be fast, but his low pokes can help keep you in check, so watch for that. If you aren't willing to stand your ground and read the player's actions, Raiden will walk all over you.

I'm sure there are other Raiden players who can lend you some advice on this topic, like BW1ZZ and Raidenwins.
Just to add to this, Reptile's dash can interrupt Raiden's B3 string if it's blocked, and since his teleport invalidates Reptile's zoning setups, just punish this string with EX dash into slide for 23% damage (I could be wrong on the exact percentage). This will make him a lot more hesitant to go in with this. Other than that, punish teleports with a mixture of elbow dash, slide, throw and D4 into acid hand; there's not much I can tell you here, you just need to make some good reads on your opponent whenever he teleports. Don't bother with trying to zone him, because one teleport invalidates any forceball setup you can put up. That said, if you see him try to throw a projectile, just use acid spit. Don't throw this out any more than you have to, but don't be afraid to check him with it occasionally.

Hope this helps.

ive given up trying to punish raidens teleport (i only play online, my local scene is nonexistant) with anything other than a grab, poke, or dash (obviously), thats all i can seem to connect

Raiman

Noob
ive given up trying to punish raidens teleport (i only play online, my local scene is nonexistant) with anything other than a grab, poke, or dash (obviously), thats all i can seem to connect
im not sure if reptile even can punish with anything other than those three moves because reptile has really slow normals, online or not. You could always jump backwards and punch hoping to get him on a random teleport

A nice trick with Raiden that I have for you is this: anticipate the teleport. I find that 70% of Raidens after a teleport LOVE to jump over you for a cross up, so once you know its coming, nuetral jump punch and juggle, and PRETEND you are going to mix them up. Once this is established, they will teleport again, then you can punish it with a dash. Also, If the Raiden does not jump, 321 can punish the teleport as well.. meaning 321 reppy dash NJP 32 forceball 321 (add fake pressure here) and just restart it.

Keoki 808

ejtnazjh4yq4ry4q4 5y3y4y
im a reptile player and i win most of my matches against raiden.all you have to do is make sure when you do your Force balls that you wait a second and then B F+2 to get close to him.at this point i usually do a 1 2 2 block just to trick him into teleporting.when he teleports just block high and wait to interrupt him with a B F+2.

another good strategy i use against raiden is using an unpredictable acid spit from a long range inorder to B F+2 your way to get close to him.also when you get chances to do combos of course, go for them if you know you can pull it off.

hope this helps.thankz.

pzea

Noob
I know offline raiden isn't OP but I find his teleport extremely hard to punish online. I beat people and then they switch to raiden and I'm somehow lost.

im a reptile player and i win most of my matches against raiden.all you have to do is make sure when you do your Force balls that you wait a second and then B F+2 to get close to him.at this point i usually do a 1 2 2 block just to trick him into teleporting.when he teleports just block high and wait to interrupt him with a B F+2.

another good strategy i use against raiden is using an unpredictable acid spit from a long range inorder to B F+2 your way to get close to him.also when you get chances to do combos of course, go for them if you know you can pull it off.

hope this helps.thankz.
a good raiden will tele and be behind you while youre still in force ball animation. it's already been established youre not gonna be able to use zoning tactics. moreover, if you FB and wait a second, he will have already supermaned your ass (from behind). Your whole post couldve been condensed into "block his 334 or b312 after tele and interrupt with dash"